Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 142789 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2022, 06:20:38 PM »
Finally placed an order for one of these. Just curious how others here use the extra inputs. I imagine 6 inputs is not close to adequate for a multitrack mix for most bands playing decent sized clubs?

So mostly board patches + mics? Multiple mics for the heck of it?

On my F8 I use extra channels for dual record at different levels just to be safe, but I guess that's not really a concern with 32 bit (and I'm not sure if the F6 has the dual record feature).

There's a different kind of dual-record on the F6 where you simultaneously run a set of tracks at 24-bit fixed and a duplicate set of 32-bit float. I've never used it. I wonder if that feature exists on the new F8N PRO.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #481 on: October 15, 2022, 01:25:47 AM »
I see they finally released an Android app for the f8 series - have they done the same for the f6? Google seems to say not? :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 03:31:05 PM by lmgbtapes »

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #482 on: October 15, 2022, 10:47:44 AM »
I see they finally released an Android app for the first series - have they done the same for the f6? Google seems to say not? :(

I thought I'd miss this, because on the 24-bit recorders we use, level monitoring is pretty important. For the f6, set it and forget it.

Though I guess if something funky happens, like the board isn't sending a signal, it's good to be able to monitor that.

My biggest complaint is to my knowledge, there's no lock function to prevent buttons from being pressed accidentally.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #483 on: October 18, 2022, 06:00:44 AM »
My biggest complaint is to my knowledge, there's no lock function to prevent buttons from being pressed accidentally.

There is a hold function, as described in the manual. Press and hold in the headphone level knob for a couple seconds.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #484 on: October 18, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »
I installed F8 firmware support and the Android F8 Control app just prior to a fest this past weekend.  Need to play around with it some more.  Cool to be able to monitor levels on the phone, yet I ended up not using it. Didn't really need it and didn't want to screw anything up.

Biggest gripe thus far: I wish it allowed for bluetooth connection and disconnection while already recording simply to check levels and settings.  Seems it can only connect prior to recording.  Not sure if the same applies to the F6
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #485 on: October 18, 2022, 03:02:05 PM »
I installed F8 firmware support and the Android F8 Control app just prior to a fest this past weekend.  Need to play around with it some more.  Cool to be able to monitor levels on the phone, yet I ended up not using it. Didn't really need it and didn't want to screw anything up.

Biggest gripe thus far: I wish it allowed for bluetooth connection and disconnection while already recording simply to check levels and settings.  Seems it can only connect prior to recording.  Not sure if the same applies to the F6
There is no android app for the F6.
In my experience with the F6 and F3, it's a non issue as you just hit record and forget about it and chop off the beginning in post. I have the app and module for the F3, but just don't see any need to use it. The bluetooth module is just collecting dust at this point.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #486 on: October 19, 2022, 08:45:03 AM »
I use the F8 in the same way. 

Don't really need the control app, mostly curious.  There have been a few situations in which it would have been useful where I put the entire rig up in the rafters without access to it during the show.  But even then it worked fine to just start recording well beforehand and stop it afterward.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #487 on: October 20, 2022, 01:35:31 PM »
So far, so good on the F6.  Menus are very intuitive, like a Sound Devices 633.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #488 on: November 08, 2022, 10:32:22 PM »
I'm loving this recorder - really nice, clean, low-noise soundboard pulls and haven't needed to use my attenuator pads like I do on my Sony a10 or Roland r07. Nice not needing to monitor my levels either - it's really a have my cake and eat it too situation. I can just enjoy my show and let my recorder do its thing. 

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #489 on: March 02, 2023, 08:05:25 AM »
Is the F6 really that picky about cards that it only takes the ones on its approved list still?

I read back a bit and it seems unclear, I have a bunch of SanDisk extreme cards that I shoot 4K video with no problem so I'd imagine it would be by far and away faster than needed for audio recording.

Thanks for the help!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #490 on: March 02, 2023, 12:47:28 PM »
Is the F6 really that picky about cards that it only takes the ones on its approved list still?

I read back a bit and it seems unclear, I have a bunch of SanDisk extreme cards that I shoot 4K video with no problem so I'd imagine it would be by far and away faster than needed for audio recording.

Thanks for the help!
I have never had an issue with any card. I use many different brands depending on price when I order.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #491 on: March 02, 2023, 04:58:37 PM »

Thanks for the help!

I use Sandisk extreme cards in mine with no problems ever.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #492 on: March 02, 2023, 05:58:49 PM »
I'm not sure if I'd trust totally random cards, but at least you have more than one or two that work.

FYI, the F6 card list hasn't been updated in a long time and most or all of those cars models are discontinued. Remember that the product name on the card means nothing on these lists; you need to find those exact cars with those exact model numbers in order to be getting the cards that were tested.

So, my advice to F6 users who want to buy a currently available card tested by Zoom is to buy one off the list for the much newer F8n Pro. It's a different recorder, but one with a higher channel count so it stands to reason that cards that perform well in the F8n should also perform well in the F6.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 08:09:15 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #493 on: March 02, 2023, 07:35:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for the information! Very excited for the F6 to arrive!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline voltronic

« Reply #494 on: March 02, 2023, 08:08:52 PM »
All my SD cards for my Mixpre 6 and Mixpre 10 II haven't been on the approved list and had performed flawlessly.

I'm not sure if I'd trust totally random cards, but at least you have more than one or two that work. Yet another advantage the Zoom F series has over the SD MixPre-II.

FYI, the F6 card list hasn't been updated in a long time and most or all of those cars models are discontinued. Remember that the product name on the card means nothing on these lists; you need to find those exact cars with those exact model numbers in order to be getting the cards that were tested.

So, my advice to F6 users who want to buy a currently available card tested by Zoom is to buy one off the list for the much newer F8n Pro. It's a different recorder, but one with a higher channel count so it stands to reason that cards that perform well in the F8n should also perform well in the F6.

That's very different from what I've heard from other MPII owners. Maybe those were pickier about cards in early firmwares.

I just checked and now SD has a lot more cards on their recommended media list than there used to be. So I will delete that portion of my comment.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com