Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adding another deck for separate SBD pulls / on-stage  (Read 3504 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Adding another deck for separate SBD pulls / on-stage
« on: September 05, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
Recorded a show last night and realized I might "need" another deck. As-is, I can go 4 channels into a R44, and use my DPA dvice setup. When possible, I run SBD + AUD into the R44, then either run the DPA as a backup or on-stage.

In a few of the places I typically record, it's not really doable to run mics & a board feed from the same location (or run cable, I suppose this would be possible, but I'm not really interested in it). Like, the board is next to the stage, or behind a bar, or any other weird placement in a bar that you've seen.

So I was thinking about adding another deck to be available to leave at the board (or to have another XLR setup to run onstage, etc).

I see there's a DR40 in the yard sale that would seemingly fit my needs - something like that is an option, and certainly cost effective. I guess I'd prefer something with at least 2 XLR inputs, but I have the cables to go SBD > Line in as well - so I guess that's not a deal breaker. I'm intrigued by the sony a10, but I'm not sure that really makes sense w/o XLR inputs, from a versatility standpoint.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. If anyone has any ideas/recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Adding another deck for separate SBD pulls / on-stage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Being able to dual record a safety track might be a good feature to look for, since it sounds like you'll generally be away from the deck.  I think the DR2D and R07 can do this...there are probably others.  Now that I mention the R07, being able to control the deck from your phone would be beneficial.  The R07 can do that...maybe the A10 can as well?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 01:29:02 PM »
Being able to dual record a safety track might be a good feature to look for, since it sounds like you'll generally be away from the deck.  I think the DR2D and R07 can do this...there are probably others.  Now that I mention the R07, being able to control the deck from your phone would be beneficial.  The R07 can do that...maybe the A10 can as well?

You can perform every essential function with the Rec Remote app for the A10. Sony knocked it out of the park there.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »

You can perform every essential function with the Rec Remote app for the A10. Sony knocked it out of the park there.
Detroit- I was watching a guy control his R07 from his phone; the deck was at the SBD and dude was down about three rows closer to where my mics were just standing and listening and controlling the deck with his phone. I typically do not need this capabilty, but thought "how cool".
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:49:53 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 02:31:40 PM »

Detroit- I was watching a guy control his R07 from his phone; the deck was at the SBD and dude was down about three rows close to where my mics were just standing and listening and controlling the deck with his phone. I typically do not need this capabilty, but thought "how cool".

Yeah...this is definitely very appealing!

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 04:59:23 PM »

Detroit- I was watching a guy control his R07 from his phone; the deck was at the SBD and dude was down about three rows closer to where my mics were just standing and listening and controlling the deck with his phone. I typically do not need this capabilty, but thought "how cool".

Ooh, this is a use of the A10 that had not occurred to me. (I don't have one yet, but have been watching the thread and drooling softly.) Anyone know what the reliable range is on the A10 remote functions?

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »

Ooh, this is a use of the A10 that had not occurred to me. (I don't have one yet, but have been watching the thread and drooling softly.) Anyone know what the reliable range is on the A10 remote functions?
Bluetooth in general is no more than 30 feet, clear line if sight.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »
Keep in mind, it's not just the range of the BT, but whether the app plays nice with your particular smartphone, in the first place.

I had the original Google Pixel when I first got an R-07, and connectivity was intermittent, at best. I now have the Pixel 2, same story. I hear some Samsung Galaxy versions have issues, others don't...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:49:08 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 11:39:18 PM »
Keep in mind, it's not just the range of the BT, but whether the app plays nice with your particular smartphone, in the first place.

I had the original Google Pixel when I first got an R-07, and connectivity was intermittent, at best. I now have the Pixel 2, same story. I hear some Samsung Galaxy versions have issues, others don't...
I too have struggled with connectivity issues on the R-07, first with the LG G8 and now with the One Plus 7 Pro. Same issues wih both in that occasionally it loses connectivity and the only way to reconnect is to reboot the phone. This is not an issue nor has it been with either phone for the Sony A10 which is rock solid in connecting. I have not tried any real distance between the decks and the phone though, this is just keeping the deck in my pocket of within a few feet. That said, I think it possible that a soundboard signal would be much to hot for the Sony to handle. I find it much hotter than most of my other decks in terms of setting levels. Just something to think about and perhaps someone who has run the A-10 off a soundboard can chime in
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com