Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 132511 times)

mountainhop

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #450 on: October 04, 2022, 05:11:31 PM »
with a similar sony device that uses both card and internal memory, ive been able to solve this problem by using the internal memory. the card was plenty fast for what i w was doing, but the internal memory was always more foolproof in testing

test test test

easy to find drop samples by recording a single tone then searching the waveform in an editor

Offline restevezes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2022, 01:29:42 PM »
What kind of battery box problem did you encounter?

A10s PIP is pretty anemic, 2 something volts and may not give the CA11s enough juice handle high SPLs. the internal mics are low sens enough to not overload in my experience.

thanks for replies. powering problem was solved and I was able to run ca11 > ugly > a10

I will post samples later of the internal mics

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #452 on: October 06, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
Can anyone else confirm that 5G interferes with their A10?  A buddy from Texas said he narrowed signal path interference down to his A10 and wont run it without airplane mode now.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #453 on: October 06, 2022, 04:48:49 PM »
Can anyone else confirm that 5G interferes with their A10?  A buddy from Texas said he narrowed signal path interference down to his A10 and wont run it without airplane mode now.

I know on my 5G phone, I can force it to 4G.

I haven't seen this yet but I don't know if I've taped while getting 5G.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Online ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #454 on: October 06, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »

Have not experienced this and have been using it while on 5G. Maybe it was the cables used, battery box, maybe it was the mics, there are other unknown variables.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #455 on: October 06, 2022, 11:31:30 PM »
GSM (AT&T for instance) & CDMA (Verizon and T-Mobile for instance) have different radio properties.
I wonder if the 5G interference is limited to one or the other, or if they are converged now?

GSM was well known for causing interference RIGHT BEFORE it would ring.
I recall hearing the tones on my buddy's car radio back in 2006, before he received each call on ATT network: "Beep Beep Beep, Beep Beep Beep" (very clicky beeps)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:33:05 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #456 on: October 07, 2022, 12:25:00 PM »

Have not experienced this and have been using it while on 5G. Maybe it was the cables used, battery box, maybe it was the mics, there are other unknown variables.

Same here, no issues since March.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #457 on: October 07, 2022, 12:40:23 PM »
Believe it or not shortly after I posted that message yesterday about 5G and the A10 one of our other buddies sent over a file he said had noise on it.  I figured I would put it into RX and remove the buzz and this is what I saw.  https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=200777.0

This is one of his first two shows with new hearing aids and wearing mics in his hat.  We have deduced the hearing aids as the most likely culprit and when you listen to it it sounds like RF interference.  We still do not know if it was the mics, cables, or recorder but let this is a heads up for those of you with new ears or about to get some.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #458 on: October 12, 2022, 09:16:10 AM »
wow, were those old school hearing aids or the newer cheaper devices now allowed to be classified as "hearing aids" per recent legislation?

were they completely in-ear? thats quite the noise pattern

assuming he can replicate it at home and has tried different cables

those who have experienced 5g interference, does it have to be in your pocket? or are we stuck being in an RFI minefield in any future concert environments due to the crowd?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 10:18:40 AM by mountainhop »

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #459 on: October 12, 2022, 11:58:25 AM »
wow, were those old school hearing aids or the newer cheaper devices now allowed to be classified as "hearing aids" per recent legislation?

I'm not not familiar with the newer cheaper devices now allowed to be classified as "hearing aids" - but I have new hearing aids that are bluetooth and are basically hearing aids / high quality earbuds.  They aren't cheap though IMO; they would have been $2K each when I got them two years ago, but (fortunately) I get them free through the Veterans Administration.  I never wear my hearing aids to shows though, so I can't say if they interfere with my A10. 
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #460 on: October 12, 2022, 12:02:24 PM »

I'm not not familiar with the newer cheaper devices now allowed to be classified as "hearing aids" - but I have new hearing aids that are bluetooth and are basically hearing aids / high quality earbuds.  They aren't cheap though IMO; they would have been $2K each when I got them two years ago, but (fortunately) I get them free through the Veterans Administration.  I never wear my hearing aids to shows though, so I can't say if they interfere with my A10.
i think the reclass has to do with allowing the cheaper, not-fit-by-qualified-audiologist class of hearing devices as "hearing aids" is a semantics thing for insurance

theyre just starting to roll out

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/hearing-aids-available-over-the-counter-starting-in-october-here-e2-80-99s-what-you-should-know/ar-AA12tLtP

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #461 on: October 13, 2022, 02:10:19 PM »

i think the reclass has to do with allowing the cheaper, not-fit-by-qualified-audiologist class of hearing devices as "hearing aids" is a semantics thing for insurance

theyre just starting to roll out

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/hearing-aids-available-over-the-counter-starting-in-october-here-e2-80-99s-what-you-should-know/ar-AA12tLtP

I have come to realize there are shockingly high number of older people who can't hear for shit.  And a lot of them can't afford $2K (each) for hearing aids.  So that's good news about the cheaper versions becoming available.

Side story: my wife was born deaf in one ear.  She was told it was because of nerve damage and was permanent.  A couple of years ago, we were at Sam's Club and the audiologist there was doing free hearing tests.  It took some prodding, but I finally got my wife to give it a shot.  The lady did some testing and then inserted a hearing aid in my wife's ear.  You should have seen the look of surprise and amazement on her face when she heard through that ear for the first time.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #462 on: October 13, 2022, 02:30:28 PM »
So great to hear that tech could help her!

From the NYT - https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/10/health/hearing-aids-fda.html

Self-perceived mild to moderate hearing loss, the condition that over-the-counter hearing aids are designed to address, affects about one-quarter of people in their 60s, half of those in their 70s and three-quarters of those over 80.

Ninety-plus percent of adults with hearing loss have needs that can be served by over-the-counter hearing aids,
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #463 on: October 21, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »
Not a huge deal but minor nuisance, I read in the manual there should be no audio lost when the a10 switches from internal memory to the microsd card, but in my most recent recording, there's a little under a second missing. Not seamless at all.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #464 on: October 21, 2022, 09:24:17 PM »
Never had an issue and I tapes 100s and 100s of shows . Maybe it is a memory card being slow?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com