Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 72680 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2022, 07:15:30 AM »
I had the 64gb version of this and now am using the 256.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Q41PM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline hipporu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #361 on: November 03, 2022, 08:12:03 AM »
Sandisk 64Gb Cruzer Fit SDCZ33-064G-G35  no problem.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #362 on: November 07, 2022, 03:08:55 PM »
I just put a MixPre3ii in the Yard Sale.  fyi

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #363 on: December 01, 2022, 03:32:40 PM »
First time issue last night. The SD card didn't want to eject. I was afraid of pulling to hard and looked for cable to connect MP6 to computer but then tried again and wiggled card a bit and it came loose. Anyone else experience this? Card is brand new; maybe just a slight design flaw.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #364 on: December 01, 2022, 03:38:02 PM »
Had same experience once. I think the brand new card had a bit of extra plastic on it. I removed w a nail file, and didn't have the issue again.

It somewhat spooked me, so I use a cable and do usb xfer now.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #365 on: December 01, 2022, 04:53:14 PM »
Yeah, I've had some cards be hard to slide in/out (MP10II). Like checht, I mostly leave the card in and use the USB cable for transfers. USB transfer is only USB2 speed IIRC, despite the "C" connector. Also saves wear/tear on the battery sled.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #366 on: December 01, 2022, 05:55:49 PM »
I should start doing that, too. I need to find the cable that came with the deck.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2022, 07:41:46 PM »
I bought some spare cables from B&H. IIRC, Sound Devices told me you only need USB2 capability despite the C connector, so those cables tend to be cheaper. You can mark them as USB2, or remember that most USB3 or higher devices have a blue plastic in the A end.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #368 on: December 02, 2022, 02:44:41 AM »
I should start doing that, too. I need to find the cable that came with the deck.

I have the Hirose adapter.  Each time I reconnect it, I self-think about just using the cable.  Probably about time.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2022, 07:41:12 AM »
USB transfer is only USB2 speed IIRC, despite the "C" connector. Also saves wear/tear on the battery sled.

I do c to c transfers and it's at least 3.0 speed.

edit:  apparently I was wrong
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:19:41 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #370 on: December 06, 2022, 08:14:01 AM »
USB transfer is only USB2 speed IIRC, despite the "C" connector. Also saves wear/tear on the battery sled.

Ahh interesting. That’s positive if so.
The user guide only states USB 2.0 class high speed.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #371 on: December 06, 2022, 09:17:07 AM »

Ahh interesting. That’s positive if so.
The user guide only states USB 2.0 class high speed.

hmm.  I just checked the manual and you're right.  I actually now transfer using the usb backup drive but I could have sworn the c was fast as well. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:19:08 AM by Gordon »

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #372 on: December 06, 2022, 12:09:10 PM »
The USB transfer seems reasonably fast, but I read that in the manual and emailed their support to confirm the USB speed. I've never actually tested the speed. Mostly I got tired of removing the battery sled to get to the card.

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2023, 09:39:37 PM »
I’m experiencing some unexpected behavior with my MixPre6. It’s probably my fault but I can’t make sense of it -

When I have two or more ISOs connected, ISO 1 and 2 always save as a stereo track, and I’ve triple checked that these channels are not linked. It’s making me paranoid that it’s a stereo mix down of all the connected ISOs (it’s not but I’m still paranoid about it). I would feel much more comfortable if these would save down as discrete tracks, but other than unlinking channels 1 and 2 there doesn’t seem to be much I can do about it.

Followup question - is it possible to save a stereo mix down in addition to the discrete ISO lines? That seems like something many would want to do, even though I don’t want to use it that way. I struggle to find anything in the settings that suggests I can.
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2023, 03:46:16 PM »
That's a puzzle, as MixPres don't actually make stereo files, although it may seem like it in some circumstances. They make one polywav file for each recording, with as many channels in it as you have selected to record. Yes, you can also record your stereo mix along with the ISOs.

How did you determine that you have a 1-2 stereo track when recording 2+ ISOs?

I have access to the MixPre10 and 10ii (no Musician plugins), but I believe they work the same as the 6. The polywav is not well explained in the manual. The recorded polywav file will have as many tracks as you have recorded. If you only record ISOs 1 & 2, you get a 2 track file, which plays like most stereo WAV files. If you record ISOs 1-2-3-4, you get a 4 track polywav. Ensure that your playback knows what to do, and doesn't just play the first 2 tracks assuming it to be a 2 track stereo WAV. Likewise for your playback computer, most will probably only play 2 tracks of a wav file.

Note that you can enable/disable recording the stereo L/R mix in the menus (RECORD/RECORD L,R). When enabled, the MixPre always makes this the first 2 tracks of the polywav. The armed ISOs then fall in place in order. If you record the L/R mix and ISOs 1-2-4, you get a 5 track polywav with L,R,1,2,4. It won't "skip" and record a blank ISO-3 if 3 was disarmed. If you record ISOs 1-2, you get a 2 track polywav that seems like stereo, but isn't really designated as such.

Sound Devices provided the Wave Agent app to help split out the polywavs into separate tracks, but it won't work on 32b float. Apps like Reaper can take the polywav and show all of the tracks in it, and let you split the tracks out for full remixing.

I’m experiencing some unexpected behavior with my MixPre6. It’s probably my fault but I can’t make sense of it -

When I have two or more ISOs connected, ISO 1 and 2 always save as a stereo track, and I’ve triple checked that these channels are not linked. It’s making me paranoid that it’s a stereo mix down of all the connected ISOs (it’s not but I’m still paranoid about it). I would feel much more comfortable if these would save down as discrete tracks, but other than unlinking channels 1 and 2 there doesn’t seem to be much I can do about it.

Followup question - is it possible to save a stereo mix down in addition to the discrete ISO lines? That seems like something many would want to do, even though I don’t want to use it that way. I struggle to find anything in the settings that suggests I can.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.225 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com