Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying to fix what's not actually broken  (Read 2057 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Trying to fix what's not actually broken
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:53:38 AM »
Went to a song recital recently where the singer's operatic voice was a bit too large for the room (and the accompanist banged quite a bit, though the piano lid was down).  I was worried about levels, but I had gone in rather conservatively and had no clipping or overloading issues (DPA 4060s, MMA-A).  What I taped was what I heard in the hall, the problem is with the unpleasant buzz from strongly reflected loud singing.  Is there any way to make this better than live?  Any post-production magic people have had success with (I mainly use iZotope Rx 8 advanced, but open to other plug-ins or programs too)?

Jeff

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: Trying to fix what's not actually broken
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
You could try the de-reverb module, I never have much success with anything that needs to stay ‘realistic’ though. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Trying to fix what's not actually broken
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 11:27:44 AM »
You might run an RTA with a time averaged display to identify problematic room resonances excited by the vocal, and use that to inform some EQing to tame the zing.  A time average display will allow the resonances to build up over time so they aren't shifting around with instantaneous changes in content. 

A dynamic EQ might work well for this by providing increased reduction as the resonances saturate and less as they decay, allowing a more aggressive correction while reverting to a flatter, more natural response when the resonances aren't over energized.

A multiband dynamics processor that uses a multitude of bands might make for a somewhat conceptually similar approach.  I've had luck using Voxengo's Soniformer (32 bands) on other problematic things vaguely like this in the past.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com