Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HRT music streamer 2 bass response  (Read 2823 times)

Offline seashore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
HRT music streamer 2 bass response
« on: November 24, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
I have used the HRT Music Streamer for many years, mainly to play back recordings I have made. I have used it with at least two laptops before the one that I am currently using. I've never been particularly satisfied with the sound quality, but have generally blamed this on my recording skills or lack of them. Recently, I tried it with a new laptop and found two things-in general, the sound was much clearer but also that the bass somewhat overwhelming. The same (piano) recordings, burned to CD-R sound perfectly well balanced when played on a really high quality CD player (through the same amplifier and speakers).

Is it possible that built in software (driver in the laptop?) could be altering the sound quality? Or is the HRT Music Streamer designed to boost bass but this hasn't been apparent through other laptops? I find that piano recordings through the HRT now have a rumbling sound, which I think originates from the piano soundboard but which is not a problem when playing the same files on my CD player (which is not known for an underwhelming bass).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 12:16:59 PM by seashore »

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: HRT music streamer 2 bass response
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »
I’d suspect some DSP on the laptop. What OS?

Offline seashore

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
Hello-thanks for your reply. I am using Windows 10.

I am assuming, probably wrongly, that the overall performance of the HRT Music Streamer 2 is now sounding better (bass problem notwithstanding) because my new laptop is able to provide a higher voltage through its USB? Also, I understand that a DAC just changes digital to analogue but that the output stage and implementation is the reason for many of the differences between the sound achieved with different DACs. In other words, the DAC section might produce a flat frequency response but this could be altered by components in the other parts of the DAC.

Offline seashore

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 11:07:06 AM »
In other words-is the new laptop enabling the Music Streamer to function as intended (heavy bass and all) or is the laptop somehow causing the sound to become unbalanced. It is almost as if the bass has been boosted to make it sound better over tinny speakers.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
I’d check the DAC’s Windows settings. Make sure that it’s not using any DSP.

Documentation and firmware:
http://www.hirestech.com/support-download/

Offline seashore

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 06:21:37 PM »
Thank you Dynek. I THINK that I may now have found out what may have been causing the problem. On my Dell laptop there is something called Maxxaudio. This is a piece of software which is supposed to enhance the sound quality on laptop speakers and is, I believe only found on Dell laptops.

Now, my understanding was that if you were using an external soundcard, it (the external DAC) would not be affected by such software. I note that my computer lists the HRT Streamer as a 'speaker', so I am wondering if it (Maxaudio) is effectively working as an equalizer on the digital signals sent to my Music Streamer.
Here is a link to a set of instructions that explains how to disable Maxaudio.

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/instructions/waves_maxaudio.html

One problem is that, because the laptop isn't actually mine but belongs to my place of work, I can't disable it myself. But a friendly chat with our IT manager might solve all that. Another problem is that, unless I've misunderstood what I've read, other people claim that Maxaudio reinstalls itself sometime after you've uninstalled it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:23:23 PM by seashore »

Offline Justy Gyee

• Taperssection Member
    • justys llama
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
id check windows too.
right click the speaker icon on the toolbar.
then sounds
under playback, check the "HRT streamer"
then properties
click the then Enhancement tabs
check for anything check marked there
if it aint broke, don't fix it

Offline seashore

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »
Hello Justy Gyee, thanks for your suggestion. I am pretty sure that I have already done this. I think what I need to do is to purchase a powered hub as I understand that this enhances the performance of the HRT Music Streamer on many machines. I will then go back to using my original laptop as this isn't a Dell.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com