Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CCM 4 storage ideas?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
Schoeps CCM 4 storage ideas?
« on: February 26, 2022, 11:13:19 PM »
Looking for options to neatly and safely store and protect the mics as well as the hardwired cables when not in use. Currently just sitting in ziplocs  ??? My old DPA 4022 had these rectangular plastic boxes that had foam inside to put the mics and XLR ends, then you would wind the cable around the box which had a lip around the edge, those worked pretty well.

Thanks!

James
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 07:17:04 AM by cd2go »

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Schoeps CCM 4 storage ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »
Back when I had a pair of CCM4 I kept them in a round Tupperware storage container. I’d ziptied the two mic cables together which made it quite easy to take the mics in & out of the container. In fact I used that container to transport the pair of mics to & from shows as it didn’t take up a great deal of real estate in my gear bag + facilitated a quick set up/break down of my rig.

If I’d been storing the pair of CCM4 for months on end I likely would’ve put them in one of the smaller Pelican cases w/ a couple desiccant packs. But, as I was taping shows frequently back then the Tupperware vessel proved to be ideal. (Inexpensive too!  ;D )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:15:35 PM by One Cylinder »
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 02:01:32 PM »
Thanks, that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. I would like to keep the mics from knocking around, maybe rubber XLR covers?

I’m going to attempt taming of the wires with 1/4” split-sleeve Techflex, right now they’re just taped together.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 02:22:49 PM »
You can use the 2-3" tube from mcmaster carr. Use a dremel to cut a straight notch vertically in the bottom piece for the cable to pass through and the top screws on. I use a desiccant pack to make it fit.

https://www.mcmaster.com/2108T71/
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 05:43:31 PM »
Forgot to mention in my earlier post  that I always had a Schoeps BD5 windscreen on each capsule when the pair of CCM4 were in the Tupperware container. With the cables ziptied together & placed in a fairly loose circle inside in the container, plus the capsules (w/ the windscreens on them) residing in the middle of the container, it made for a nice snug fit when I put the top on. Not so tight that the cables would get kinked and/or the windscreens would get completely flattened, but tight enough so both the capsules & the cables were very snug and wouldn’t move around when being transported to/from concerts.

Thanks, that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. I would like to keep the mics from knocking around, maybe rubber XLR covers?

I’m going to attempt taming of the wires with 1/4” split-sleeve Techflex, right now they’re just taped together.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:05:50 PM by One Cylinder »
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 04:50:36 PM »
You can use the 2-3" tube from mcmaster carr. Use a dremel to cut a straight notch vertically in the bottom piece for the cable to pass through and the top screws on. I use a desiccant pack to make it fit.

https://www.mcmaster.com/2108T71/

Here are some pictures to illustrate how I store my CMC1Ls
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 02:43:25 PM »
I use the containers they came in and all of my Schoeps caps go into a sandwich-sized Tupperware with pick and pluck foam pulled out for each pair.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

mountainhop

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 06:32:33 PM »
Looking for options to neatly and safely store and protect the mics as well as the hardwired cables when not in use. Currently just sitting in ziplocs  ??? My old DPA 4022 had these rectangular plastic boxes that had foam inside to put the mics and XLR ends, then you would wind the cable around the box which had a lip around the edge, those worked pretty well.

Thanks!

James
something like that could very easily be 3d printed though youd have to figure out the foam insert portion. the CCMs have considerably thicker cables relative to the DPAs IIRC

alternatively one of those telescoping tubes from mcmaster (inner portion on the cap ens, outer portion on the xlr) that people use to store caps would keep them from bumping up against each other
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:41:05 PM by mountainhop »

Offline marcb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
Spent a bunch of time searching for a solution for my CCMs. The hard wired K version makes this a special challenge because you (I) don’t want to bend the wire too much to fit in the storage box. Just recently I came up with a solution I’m happy with. I use a Rubbermaid container that can fit the two mics and attached cables wound in a wide circle sandwiched between layers of custom cut polyethylene foam. The foam seems very durable and should last a long time without any concern of dust (anyone that thinks otherwise please let me know!). It’s a bit time consuming to find the right sized Rubbermaid and custom cutting the foam, but I’m really happy with the result. It’s really compact for travel and seems very protective.

Foam link here, you may need 2-3 12x12 sheets for something like what I have in pictures - Case Club Customizable (PE) Polyethylene Foam 12" x 12" x 0.5" (5 Count) https://a.co/d/4R05xER

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 09:46:46 AM »
Pelican case, easy.  2-3k for mics and peeps cheap out with getto storage solutions? Laughable
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline marcb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 10:26:12 AM »
Pelican case, easy.  2-3k for mics and peeps cheap out with getto storage solutions? Laughable

Part of my search was reviewing all the Pelican case models, none seem to be compact enough to be combined with other gear in a bigger case / bag. You will notice from the image this container actually goes into a larger Pelican case, so it’s well protected and I have another Rubbermaid container for another pair of mics. So I can bring 4 mics, recorder, cables, mounts etc in one Pelican case or bag. No way you could do that if every item were in its own Pelican. Also I'm not convinced that pluck and pull foam doesn’t degrade over time and create dust issues.

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 11:26:17 AM »
I am looking at getting Rycote mic tubes for Mic storage. Should be able to fit two CCMs in one tube with a foam divider.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1391529-REG/rycote_079902_mic_protector_case_20mm.html

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 01:27:09 PM »
It looks like the Rycote tubes I linked are exactly like the McMaster tubes. Just the McMaster tubes are WAY cheaper.

I am looking at getting Rycote mic tubes for Mic storage. Should be able to fit two CCMs in one tube with a foam divider.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1391529-REG/rycote_079902_mic_protector_case_20mm.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com