Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rec Level at 0  (Read 1775 times)

Offline hedfro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Rec Level at 0
« on: June 08, 2022, 09:21:26 AM »
Hi,
I recently tested my new recorder. A tascam DR-40X with an SP-CMC4U-PHANTOM (AT853).
I was positioned row 20 to the side in front of the PA (loud bass).
My recording was saved by the dual recording (-12db) because my main rec level even at 0 was too loud (peak).
Is there a low sensitivity mic setting on this Tascam ? Should I use an XLR attenuator cable ? What do you advise me other than to back off ?
Tascam DR-40X, Tascam DR-2D, Roland R-07.
CA-14 Cards (4.7), SP-CMC-4U-Phantom, SP-CMC-4U (4.7) (AT 853 O, C), Sennheiser ME-104, Sennheiser ME-102, Line Audio OM1, Line Audio CM4.

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Rec Level at 0
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 10:26:08 AM »
Do your mics have the low sensitivity (aka 4.7) mod?  If not, I would send them to Sound Professionals for that mod.  It would cost you about $50 to $60, plus the shipping to get it to them.

Offline hedfro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 11:05:17 AM »
There is no 4.7 mod option for these XLR mics at Sound Professionals, only for the 1/8 mic plug version.
CA-14 Cards (4.7), SP-CMC-4U-Phantom, SP-CMC-4U (4.7) (AT 853 O, C), Sennheiser ME-104, Sennheiser ME-102, Line Audio OM1, Line Audio CM4.

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 11:53:29 AM »
The bass is going to be responsible for your biggest peaks. Don't know if you want to use the HPF. You may just want to use a couple of inline XLR pads, 10 or 15 db should do it. You can always boost it in post. Of course, the other alternative is to move back.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 12:19:14 PM »
Is there a low sensitivity mic setting on this Tascam ? Should I use an XLR attenuator cable ? What do you advise me other than to back off ?

Those are the right questions.  I don't know the answer to the first.  Second will work, however, as long as 12dB provides sufficient headroom to avoid distorting or clipping the lower level copy, changing nothing and relying on dual recording is the simplest option.  As long as it is successfully doing what it was intended to do.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 07:18:23 PM »
i always under record loud shows. cant fix over record.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 08:32:45 PM »
Do your mics have the low sensitivity (aka 4.7) mod?  If not, I would send them to Sound Professionals for that mod.  It would cost you about $50 to $60, plus the shipping to get it to them.

So the mod that Sound Professionals do is just a 4.7k mod? I've always wondered what it was. Good to know, cause I want another AT853 4.7k modded set!
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 08:55:42 PM »

So the mod that Sound Professionals do is just a 4.7k mod? I've always wondered what it was. Good to know, cause I want another AT853 4.7k modded set!

That is what I have always read here, but I am no expert. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 12:02:52 PM »
i always under record loud shows. cant fix over record.

That's the goal here.  The only question is how to best achieve it as it appears the recorder is currently set to its minimum input gain.

Yes, the SP mod is the 4.7k mod, and only applies to use of the AT mics in 2-wire configuration.  It does not apply when they are used in their native 3-wire mode (and AFAIK max SPL handling level is greater in 3-wire mode so it is not required).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 12:33:19 PM »

Those are the right questions.  I don't know the answer to the first.

Ok I checked the manual to find that the Tascam DR-40X only supplies phantom power to the XLR's when set to Mic+Phantom mode.  It will not supply Phantom power to them when set to Line (line-in mode), which otherwise reduces input sensitivity as needed.

If you decide not to rely on the additional +12dB max headroom that Dual Record provides, you will either need attenuators which are capable of passing phantom, or find an alternate way of powering the microphones to use them with the recorder set to Line-input mode.

Offline hedfro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 04:29:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. It’s clear to me now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com