Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Movo WST50 Ballistic Nylon Windscreens - back in stock!  (Read 8392 times)

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
Re: Movo WST50 Ballistic Nylon Windscreens - back in stock!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2022, 12:53:11 PM »
I have the WS-G30 and the WS-50 and I have to say the WS-G30 kept more wind out of my recording recently than the white fur version WS-50. Thought I was safe using them on omnis in high wind and was wrong, are the ballistic WST80 the most wind resistant?
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 08:38:49 PM »
I can only speak to the WST (nylon cover; no fur) being very wind-resistant. The WS and WS-G each have a different type of fur over foam construction, and it's not clear from Movo's website which is supposed to be the best. The WS-G is much more expensive, for whatever reason.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2022, 11:15:38 PM »
According to their website, the WS-G is marketed as having a "rigid" foam, while the WS in the description says it's an "acoustic foam technology" they've implored. Probably time I get a couple pairs of the WST screens.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2022, 07:33:38 AM »
According to their website, the WS-G is marketed as having a "rigid" foam, while the WS in the description says it's an "acoustic foam technology" they've implored. Probably time I get a couple pairs of the WST screens.
The foam on the inside is like a BRILLO pad!! Not on my caps.  15 bucks each, that's y.  Look great though
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 11:02:31 AM »
So it was reported here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=200320.msg2381552#msg2381552

That these things pretty much suck. Anyone else have any experience in high winds? I hate carrying BAS to. I thought these were the perfect solution. Haven't had a chance to use mine yet. :shrug:

I use them reguarly at Red Rocks, Dick's etc. No issues at all.
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »
Another very positive vote for the WST50 screens! I have the 3cm version and used them outside several occasions with Rode TF-5 and also my CCM4 and not an issue. Haven't measured the gap in front of the caps yet, but I insert them enough to just cover the rear vents. Certainly worth the purchase.

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2022, 10:32:51 AM »
So it was reported here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=200320.msg2381552#msg2381552

That these things pretty much suck. Anyone else have any experience in high winds? I hate carrying BAS to. I thought these were the perfect solution. Haven't had a chance to use mine yet. :shrug:

I use them reguarly at Red Rocks, Dick's etc. No issues at all.
Use these instead of the black DPA ones that come with the set and they are so much better. Taken up to 40MPH and no wind on mics...simply amazing! You need to make sure the inner side of the windscreen is pulled out toward the outside to make sure no wind gets through the area between mic and wind screen toughing each other.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2022, 04:04:56 PM »
Another very positive vote for the WST50 screens! I have the 3cm version and used them outside several occasions with Rode TF-5 and also my CCM4 and not an issue. Haven't measured the gap in front of the caps yet, but I insert them enough to just cover the rear vents. Certainly worth the purchase.

This is the way I understood the proper use of this screen, or any screen that has a rubber base to grip the cap or coupler or mic body. Make sure the sure all vents are covered and you have a tight seal around the bottom, meaning do not push the cap or coupler or whatever all the way in. That can allow airflow thru the bottom. Interesting point about the gap inside. I'm using mine with nBobs, naiants or LC3's and I know there is a small gap between the tip of the cap and the inside of the screen. Not as much of one with the Naiant couplers and AKG CK caps.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2022, 05:17:00 PM »
Confirming what ts posted above, insert the microphone far enough that any vents are fully inside the windscreen and are neither sticking out the back making them partly exposed, nor blocked internally by the rubber cuff itself.  The cuff seal needs to be air-tight around the microphone in a position behind any vents.

At the front end of the windscreen, there should be some airspace left at the front end.  Wind protection will be reduced if the mic is shoved all the way in until it stops, leaving no internal air gap.  This needs to be done by feel.  With the big ass Shure you can only insert the mic so far, with the Movos you can over-insert too far.

Here is an example of internal depth on a couple larger Movos in comparison to BAS:

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2022, 05:25:21 PM »
The foam on the inside is like a BRILLO pad!! Not on my caps.  15 bucks each, that's y.  Look great though

It uses the same expanded large-pore flexible plastic foam inside as the Shure, and will not scratch the finish on the mics.  It's a material used for filters and is actually more like a sponge, with pores too large and open to retain water.  It only resembles a scouring pad due to the large pore size.

Although soft and compliant, the rubber cuff is more likely to cause a scratch due to it's grabbing tightly, but probably only if the surface is dirty or a bit of grit gets stuck in there.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2022, 05:33:30 PM »
Movo sizing: The number after WST indicates the approximate internal depth in millimeters, but the mic should be inserted somewhat less far to provide some dead air space at the end.

If measuring actual internal depth, the size closest to the Shure A81WS (AKA big ass Shure) would be the WST60 or WST70.  But in regards to external dimension, and for most effective wind protection, the closest comparison would be WST80 as pictured above, with the mic inserted to same depth as if using the Shure.

[edited to correct, had it backwards on initial posting]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 05:40:35 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2022, 08:21:23 PM »

It uses the same expanded large-pore flexible plastic foam inside as the Shure, and will not scratch the finish on the mics.  It's a material used for filters and is actually more like a sponge, with pores too large and open to retain water.  It only resembles a scouring pad due to the large pore size.

Although soft and compliant, the rubber cuff is more likely to cause a scratch due to it's grabbing tightly, but probably only if the surface is dirty or a bit of grit gets stuck in there.

The other thing about that kind of plastic foam found inside the Movo's (and the BAS, apparently) is that it is far less likely to degrade over time, and have tiny crumbled pieces attach to your mic diaphragm. That is a real concern with the type of foam found in most windscreens (and what's on the outside of the BAS).
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline TSNéa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2022, 10:55:00 AM »

The other thing about that kind of plastic foam found inside the Movo's (and the BAS, apparently) is that it is far less likely to degrade over time, and have tiny crumbled pieces attach to your mic diaphragm. That is a real concern with the type of foam found in most windscreens (and what's on the outside of the BAS).

I hope this is not too off topic.

I recently found, in a moving box forgotten far from home since the early 90's, three samples of "microphone" foam in two mic boxes... In one box was an AKG D12 on top of a grey foam pad that appeared to be intact, in the other was a Beyerdynamic M201 N in a pile of disintegrated black foam, with a black foam windscreen, in apparent good condition.

The protective foam of the M201 was of course unusable, sticky, in fine particles adhering everywhere including on the body of the microphone. But, for the M201's windscreen and the D12's protective foam, after a passage in soapy water, a rinse and a drying outside, in the shade, they were in perfect condition, some thirty years later...
All foams are not born equal!
I can't formally identify the foam windscreen of the M201. It is not the specific Beyerdynamic model, the WS101, longer, to cover the vents on the body of the mic (it is a hypercardioid). Maybe a Schoeps (or a DPA?) but the back of this windscreen is cut at right angles and not "rounded".

Both microphones work well.

N.B.: The M201 still had its individual frequency response curve in the box, i.e. the paper strip directly from the B&K meter, as was the custom at the time... Matching number, of course!  ;)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2022, 12:13:52 PM »

I can't sing the praises of these windscreens enough. I taped John Moreland yesterday at an arboretum that has an outdoor concert series. We had high wind warnings (which in south central Kansas is pretty severe) and these little guys did a spectacular job. No wind noise whatsoever in the recording and we had gusts of over 40+ mph.

John was singing into an SM58 and there was considerable wind rumble in his vocal mic. After the intermission he suggested to the house sound guy that they put a wind sock on the vocal mic. Helped a lot but still strong enough gusts to hear it in the PA - but none in my mic source.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2022, 05:30:09 PM »
Movo support told me this morning their current stock of WST50 is currently just about depleted.  I ordered five a couple weeks back and they sent WST100 by mistake.  Just returned those today and they tell me they currently do not show WST50 in stock on their website, but have pulled five of them for me.  They did not say how many actually remain currently available or when a stock replenishment will occur.  Contact them directly if 50's are needed.

I asked about WST60 or WST70, both of which are likely to be a better fit for my application, but they said they have none of those in stock and have not made them for a number of years.

[snip]..gusts of over 40+ mph.

John was singing into an SM58 and there was considerable wind rumble in his vocal mic. After the intermission he suggested to the house sound guy that they put a wind sock on the vocal mic.

https://youtu.be/zv97c3W6lw8?t=8
https://youtu.be/qFfnlYbFEiE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com