Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Chopped Sony PCM-A10  (Read 16401 times)

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
Chopped Sony PCM-A10
« on: July 07, 2022, 05:06:40 PM »
I've got a handful of Sony A10s and will bring multiple recorders in to a venue. In my almost 20 years of taping, I have never used internal mics to record. If I am going to tape, I am going to do it right and bring in some proper mics. I see the Sony A10 as an epic 007 recorder with some decent sound to it. The internal mics on the A10 have been bothering me ever since I got it. I've always wanted to chop them off. Well, I decided to do it today. Thanks to a few pics on TS, I got inspired on my day off. Also, thanks to Nicky C for some encouragement and telling me how to start it. I am really happy with the results on the first one. Will do the rest tonight. I have filled the internal mic holes with some clear setting epoxy. It may be just a small amount of space saved, but it's worth it to me.

Steps

1. Take two screws on outside of the unit underneath the grip below the internal mics. It does take some prying and you'll probably make some scratches in the grip to remove it.

2. Take 9 screws that hold the battery in place

3. GENTLY lift up the battery and to the RIGHT. It is ribbon connected and soldered in to the main board. You will see some tape over the mic jack, remove that and remove the two screws underneath. You can then move the plastic tray out of the way and you can now remove the internal mics.

4. I cut the mic cables close to the circuit board to remove the internal mic housing. You can now work on the internal mics without risking damaging the board.

5. I unsoldered at these points, removing the excess cable from the board to make it clean.

6. Back to the internal mic housing. Remove two screws on outside of the internal mic caps. To take the cap off takes a bit of finesse. It should rotate counterclockwise and come off.

7. There is another screw holding the cap onto the housing remove that and the cap comes off. Image 8 is what is left from the mic cap.

9. You are left with the bracket. This bracket can be removed from the plastic and placed back once you've cut the mic brackets. You can go a few options with how you cut it, but after doing a few, I feel this is best just to cut these and fill the holes with epoxy. It's important to cover the holes because the circuit board is exposed at this point when you close it.

10. At this point, I would cut the plastic mic protectors that are on the A10. I just used some wire cutters and it goes through pretty easy. I tried to cut as close to the base as I could and dremeled the rest away.

12. When closing the unit back up, this is the trouble point. I am not sure if this is a slide mechanism or a clip mechanism for closure. I've broken it both times and had to super glue the unit back together to make the bottom part flush. Everything else clicks in.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:54:00 AM by RyanJ »
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Chopped Sony PCM-A10
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 05:29:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing the snaps. I've been tempted to do the same. Based on other posts here, I believe I understand the steps, but do you mind sharing any of the trickier aspects & tips?

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing the snaps. I've been tempted to do the same. Based on other posts here, I believe I understand the steps, but do you mind sharing any of the trickier aspects & tips?

I'll make a detailed post on the 2nd one. Opening the unit up is the trickiest. The two screws are behind the table grip on the top of the back (again pics are coming) and then when you open it you don't want to break any of the clips off that hold the A10 together. I had to superglue the unit back together for the bottom to sit flush. Instead of having to dremel down the internal frames of the internal mics, I would just remove them from the bracket altogether.

Offline Gaerlind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 07:43:26 PM »
What for to do it if you can't make it nice and neat?
Sorry, but it's very rough work.
Device is just broken...
Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Olympus LS-100, Zoom H2n, Alesis PalmTrack, Philips DVT7500
Shure SM7B, Shure SM57, Rode NTG-2, Audio-Technica AT875R, Audio-Technica AT35s, Godox Movelink M2

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:09:00 PM »
In US there is a clay-like epoxy named PC-7, dries charcoal grey.

Certainly we only see day one result
A little sandpaper and Krylon Fusion, or similar automotive plastic paint will finish it beautifully.

Or go rough... Much less likely to attract a thief
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 08:26:38 PM »
Real nice
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 09:36:53 PM »
Certainly we only see day one result
A little sandpaper and Krylon Fusion, or similar automotive plastic paint will finish it beautifully.

Correct. I am not done, just filling the internal mic holes at this point and letting them set for a day or two. Just to be sure!

Offline Gaerlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 01:17:34 AM »
Can you made a test-recording with internal mics? Please.
To see the level of hiss made by recorder.

Probably to change the mic capsules to more noiseless is a good solution for some A10 users?
Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Olympus LS-100, Zoom H2n, Alesis PalmTrack, Philips DVT7500
Shure SM7B, Shure SM57, Rode NTG-2, Audio-Technica AT875R, Audio-Technica AT35s, Godox Movelink M2

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 01:38:07 AM »
Looks way more  >:D without two microphones on top... now it's just your pocket MP3 player.
waves -> bits

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 04:48:53 AM »
Looks way more  >:D without two microphones on top... now it's just your pocket MP3 player.
I am sure there must be some samples from the internal mics in the main A10 thread.  They are not any kind of disaster in my opinion, especially if set to the wide position which gives a significantly better stereo image than you could get from the M10 internals.  I would only remove them if minimising size was really important.  Backup systems are always reassuring to have when recording on location.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 07:06:44 AM »
Can you made a test-recording with internal mics? Please.
There are other threads with discussion of the internal mics.  This thread is about removal of the internal mics.

What for to do it if you can't make it nice and neat?
Sorry, but it's very rough work.
Device is just broken...
This is a asshat comment.  This device doesn't have to LOOK good, it has to PERFORM well.  This is the most street racer thread in a month!

Thanks for posting RyanJ.  I would like to see more as I am going to do this to one of my A-10s when I have time off.

Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 08:29:47 AM »
I would bevtempted to buy a chopped one.  Don't need or want internal mics. 

Offline Gaerlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 09:38:19 AM »
There are other threads with discussion of the internal mics.  This thread is about removal of the internal mics.me off.
Yes!
I ask CHOPPED internal misc sound. I mean preamps noise sound.
Recorder menu doesn't know that mics was chopped. So its possible to analyse clear preamp noise.
Probably this noise is made by cheap capsules. If it so - there is a lot of variants to modify this recorder.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 10:42:23 AM »
Yes!
I ask CHOPPED internal misc sound. I mean preamps noise sound.
Recorder menu doesn't know that mics was chopped. So its possible to analyse clear preamp noise.
Probably this noise is made by cheap capsules. If it so - there is a lot of variants to modify this recorder.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think this is true. The circuit needs to be loaded with a resistance similar to that of a microphone, right? If this is correct, you could just set the recorder to mic-in, with nothing plugged into it, and record that. I recall discussions here saying that was not a valid way to assess the pre-amp...

Offline johnmuge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 10:46:34 AM »
That is a really nice chop job. I haven't used internal mics since 1979 and don't plan on starting now. The smaller the better and blue tooth as a bonus. I think I'm going to try out one of these PCM-A10's.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 11:05:17 AM »
I removed the wires at the board as well as the solder. I tried recording with the internals and nothing comes up. Just has the recorder on standby with nothing on the waveform.

I am at work all day today. But will test some things out this weekend. As well as give an overview on how I did it!

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »
A good short educational program from SD about noise measurement
https://www.sounddevices.com/microphone-preamp-noise/
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2022, 11:15:44 AM »
Wow, this is taking rather extreme measures against Zoomies, huh?  ;)
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »
I love this, nice work. Black epoxy would have made it even better IMO. I wonder if my A-10 is out of warranty...  :cheers:
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 12:56:53 PM »
That's a fun mod. I opted to using black gaffer tape to cover the mics on my A10 to deter questions. There was an A10 sold about a year ago on ebay with the top mic guard broken off and it made me think of doing something similar to this.

Too bad you couldn't fit a pair of XLRs up there. Had sony gone a few more mm wider on the top you could almost fit them.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 01:25:53 PM »
I haven't used internal mics since 1979 and don't plan on starting now.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I gotta ask about your 1979 internals...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »

same for me, fuck the internals. I had them removed in all 7 of my Oade warm mod decks. But they ain't epoxy filled.  :P
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 03:34:35 PM »
I used my internals once at a Lettuce show when I was going Busman BSC-1 > V2 > M10 and found the battery for the V2 that I had fully charged that afternoon was dead upon arriving at the venue that night. Since the M10 couldn’t take XLRs I had no choice but to mount it on top of the stand. Listened to a few minutes once and never even processed the files.

Back on topic: IMO this mod is exactly what the A10 needed. I just got a new A10 last week and was already thinking about how to hide the internals. Looking forward to seeing the step by step on how you did it.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2022, 04:30:49 PM »
Awesome mod!

As I don't have a unit on hand, I'd appreciate hearing what the chopped height is.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline johnmuge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2022, 06:36:58 PM »
I haven't used internal mics since 1979 and don't plan on starting now.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I gotta ask about your 1979 internals...

It was a Panasonic cassette recorder, don't remember the model. It didn't do a good job but I recorded The Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Van Halen in New Haven and Kiss at MSG in 1979. My pictures came out better than the audio.
Edit, I went digging and found The Outlaws 11-24-79 tape #1 from New Haven Coliseum. I'll revisit it and post it if it sounds ok and look harder for tape #2.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:03:00 PM by johnmuge »
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 07:20:27 PM »

same for me, fuck the internals. I had them removed in all 7 of my Oade warm mod decks. But they ain't epoxy filled.  :P

There are tons of "goop" that will fill.
Sugru comes to mind, if it still exists.

I love this stuff and was fascinated by it the first time it fixed my '66 Bug

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 07:39:53 PM »
What about 3d printing a new case or even a new case front minus the Sony branding add in a logo from a medical device.. = super stealth..  I've been thinking about this for a while in terms of a different 007 approach.  (*dont own a 3d printer or know how hard it would or wouldnt be) 

thoughts? 

edited to add  related 3d printer material
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-EiIk32QUU
https://formlabs.com/blog/designing-3d-printed-snap-fit-enclosures/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 07:55:09 PM by seethreepo »
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2022, 04:36:53 AM »
What about 3d printing a new case or even a new case front minus the Sony branding add in a logo from a medical device.. = super stealth..  I've been thinking about this for a while in terms of a different 007 approach.  (*dont own a 3d printer or know how hard it would or wouldnt be) 

thoughts? 

edited to add  related 3d printer material
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-EiIk32QUU
https://formlabs.com/blog/designing-3d-printed-snap-fit-enclosures/

My friend is in the process of creating a 3D printed case as I type  ;)

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2022, 05:55:00 AM »
I've updated the first post with my steps on how to make this happen.

I would also be happy to do this for anyone who doesn't want to go through the trouble.

Awesome mod!

As I don't have a unit on hand, I'd appreciate hearing what the chopped height is.

3.75"

Normally it is 4.3" so this has saved some space. I bring a lot of gear in to 007. Plus, I just want a recorder. Not a recorder with mic. I think it looks a lot killer without the mics too!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:02:07 AM by RyanJ »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2022, 11:08:08 AM »

Thanks Ryan!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2022, 11:54:52 AM »
Great photos and instructions, many thanks Ryan.

At 3.75", that thing is vanishingly small!

Recordings at LMA

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2022, 12:33:51 AM »
Thanks for showing us the pictures. My gorilla hands would ruin it, but I'm glad to see you offer up this service! I'm planning on getting another A10 down the road and when I do....I may come calling!
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2022, 03:18:38 AM »
Thanks for showing us the pictures. My gorilla hands would ruin it, but I'm glad to see you offer up this service! I'm planning on getting another A10 down the road and when I do....I may come calling!

It's really not that difficult to modd the unit in this way and be able to reverse it while keeping it looking 100% stock. The trick is when you take off the back cover, you have to slid it up slightly to unlock it.
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2022, 07:31:05 AM »
So....the general basis of this is that once you open it up you just unsolder the mics from the main board and this doesn't damage anything internally or how it fuctions?
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »
So....the general basis of this is that once you open it up you just unsolder the mics from the main board and this doesn't damage anything internally or how it fuctions?

Pretty much. I have already recorded with it and it does nothing to the recorder or external mic/line in signals.

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2022, 01:22:11 PM »

Pretty much. I have already recorded with it and it does nothing to the recorder or external mic/line in signals.

Thanks. I’m thinking of doing this, but maybe doing the ‘gap’ left at the top differently.

If you do a 3D printed case, it’s be interested in the file to get one made for myself.  :clapping:
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »
I'd buy a case if these get printed.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »
Do you have any close up pictures of the capsules of the mics?

Gaerlind discovered the M10 has PRIMO EM 172 capsules.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170179.msg2380225#msg2380225
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2022, 04:40:29 PM »
Do you have any close up pictures of the capsules of the mics?

Gaerlind discovered the M10 has PRIMO EM 172 capsules.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170179.msg2380225#msg2380225

Those aren't the caps of the A10. I'll attach a decent pic of the caps. I just did this for someone else today.

My friend has a 3D printer and he just finalized the design. Going over there tomorrow to get the first case!

Here is what it looks like properly covered. 

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »
^Looks good!
One thing that worries me with the A10 (or anything with internal battery only) is what to do when that internal battery fails??.
After your modification, do you think that you could re-open the case if necessary?
Well done!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2022, 05:51:06 PM »
^Looks good!
One thing that worries me with the A10 (or anything with internal battery only) is what to do when that internal battery fails??.
After your modification, do you think that you could re-open the case if necessary?
Well done!!

Doubt it. But these internal batteries are pretty good. By the time it runs out, I bet something else will be out that will take over for these.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2022, 06:56:43 PM »
... or maybe the 3D printed cases will be happening, and it'll be no big to force-open the modded case and replace w new one?

Recordings at LMA

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2022, 07:20:46 PM »
... or maybe the 3D printed cases will be happening, and it'll be no big to force-open the modded case and replace w new one?

This could definitely be a thing! I am glad to patch the holes on the top though. So that accidental spillage/rain etc won't get in to the unit. The case will be tight. But you never know.

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2022, 04:33:11 AM »

My friend has a 3D printer and he just finalized the design. Going over there tomorrow to get the first case!

Please see if the print designs can be posted here - 100% want to get a 3D printed case made.

Offline tjj5036

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2022, 04:21:23 PM »
This is so cool. Definitely doing this to one of my A10s. Or maybe we can just chop it in the hotel room ahead of Rage :)
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2022, 07:06:56 AM »
This is so cool. Definitely doing this to one of my A10s. Or maybe we can just chop it in the hotel room ahead of Rage :)

This can be done! I'll bring the stuff!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
To my ears, the biggest downside of the M10 is the omnidirectional mics.  Closely spaced omnis do not produce something which could reasonably be called stereo.  I wonder whether a pair of amputated A10 mics could be implanted into an M10?c  Hmmm.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2022, 11:59:14 AM »
To my ears, the biggest downside of the M10 is the omnidirectional mics.  Closely spaced omnis do not produce something which could reasonably be called stereo.  I wonder whether a pair of amputated A10 mics could be implanted into an M10?c  Hmmm.

I think we all can agree these microphones were not intended for concert recordings. More for dictation and other applications of that sort. I guess to appease the average user?

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
Any news on the 3d printing?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2022, 12:43:11 PM »

I think we all can agree these microphones were not intended for concert recordings. More for dictation and other applications of that sort. I guess to appease the average user?

Not sure all would agree.  There are likely a few who will insist they are almost as good as Schoeps.   :yack:

Online unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2022, 01:19:28 PM »
I'm sure that all M-10 owners here on Taperssection, including me, agree with other TS members that the M-10's closely spaced omni mics are not suited to recording live concerts.   

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »
Not sure all would agree.  There are likely a few who will insist they are almost as good as Schoeps.   :yack:

LOL

I was shown the design and the mic jack needed to be bigger in order to accommodate larger mic plugs. He is busy this weekend but we'll be getting together some time next week.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:26:23 PM by RyanJ »

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2022, 04:09:29 PM »
I'm sure that all M-10 owners here on Taperssection, including me, agree with other TS members that the M-10's closely spaced omni mics are not suited to recording live concerts.

Agree, but in a pinch when you have nothing else, it can work. Not what I would prefer, but I'm happy with the one recording I made with the M10 internals.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2022, 06:35:24 PM »

Can it be printed in titanium ?      ;D
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2022, 10:03:16 AM »
Those aren't the caps of the A10. I'll attach a decent pic of the caps. I just did this for someone else today.

Were you able to take pictures of the mic capsules? I'm talking about the ones you severed from the recorder.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »

Were you able to take pictures of the mic capsules? I'm talking about the ones you severed from the recorder.

I did, just haven’t posted a pic yet.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »
Here is the sketch up of the case!

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2022, 02:22:40 PM »
Here is the sketch up of the case!

Awesome! This is what I’m waiting for before I chop my internals off….so to speak.  ;D

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »
Taking apart someone's A10 today, I took better pictures of the mics. Let me know if you need other pics of it.

Update on the cases. We are now on version 5 of the design. At each point in the print process there has been a fail point. Which then needs to be redesigned to ensure it completes. These are just test resins. The final resin will be something robust but able to withstand hotter temps, as stated earlier.

Online commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2022, 11:54:59 AM »
Those capsules sure do have the look of a Primo brand model. The part number (2400) doesn’t match anything in their catalog, so it would have had to be a custom run. Primos have been used in other Sony models in the past.

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2022, 12:09:18 PM »
Taking apart someone's A10 today, I took better pictures of the mics. Let me know if you need other pics of it.

Update on the cases. We are now on version 5 of the design. At each point in the print process there has been a fail point. Which then needs to be redesigned to ensure it completes. These are just test resins. The final resin will be something robust but able to withstand hotter temps, as stated earlier.

Ryan is the case like a ‘skin’ that goes over the existing casing? I remember there was something like that for the R09-HR. I think I still have mine.

I think additionally it might be possible to make a new back for the unit and just replace that? One with a ‘flat’ top which joins seamlessly with the front of the unit.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2022, 12:32:38 PM »

Ryan is the case like a ‘skin’ that goes over the existing casing? I remember there was something like that for the R09-HR. I think I still have mine.

I think additionally it might be possible to make a new back for the unit and just replace that? One with a ‘flat’ top which joins seamlessly with the front of the unit.

More like a phone case. It will be a harder plastic with a raised front and more robust corners so that if it does fall the display won't be flat on the ground. Also, the sides are mostly open for access to the buttons/ports.

Too hard to make the back, me thinks. Just because on the inside of the back there are small little connectors to the battery housing etc. Would need to be someone who is very advanced at mold making.

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2022, 01:03:20 PM »
Did mine today.

I found that the little clip at the bottom broke, as per Ryan’s description, however it doesn’t matter - its the small clip a bit higher up that slips under the metal part of the battery frame that holds the back in place.

I did a bit more complex engineering which would be too much to go into…but the end result is that I got a plastic ‘blank’ which I cut out to cover the mic spaces on top, which I’m quite pleased with.

I still need to cut down the plastic at the top a bit more and smooth it out….any tips on how best to do that?

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2022, 01:22:48 PM »
That blank on the top is slick. Nice work.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »
^^Rotary tool sander??
Looks good!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2022, 04:41:33 PM »
Looks great!

I just use a dremel and clean it up!

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2022, 07:49:59 AM »
Here’s my final one. Not perfect, but does the job.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2022, 08:33:56 AM »

It's really not that difficult to modd the unit in this way and be able to reverse it while keeping it looking 100% stock. The trick is when you take off the back cover, you have to slid it up slightly to unlock it.

This bears repeating if you're breaking your locking clips when opening the unit!!  Don't break it.  Thanks Neutrino!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2022, 12:30:30 PM »

Do the mods allow topless photos on this forum?  ;D    Anyway, neat work!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2022, 04:34:04 PM »

Do the mods allow topless photos on this forum?  ;D    Anyway, neat work!

As long as it's not political and in good taste.   :bigsmile:

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2022, 01:30:16 PM »
I picked up a super cheap a10 recently and want to try chopping it later tonight.

Any tips from those who have done it that would be worth noting, maybe things that were not mentioned in the descriptions above?

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2022, 03:56:29 AM »
That was way easier than expected.

I used a piece of plastic from a dvd case to fill the gap. Worked perfectly.

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2023, 01:51:46 PM »
Inspired by ideal77dlr's chop mod (thanks for the tips), I finally finished cleaning up my chop. Decided to use a flat lap, used in glass or lapidary work for a flat face polish on a stone or item.

Until I can afford a nbox, think I will make this unit primarily one I use with LOM mics like the Elektrusi or Geofone. 

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
That sure looks nice. Good job.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2023, 11:34:15 PM »
Interesting, I have always thought a micless A10 would be a great option.

That being said the worst recorded show is one that doesn't get taped.  I was at a show Tuesday and my power supply failed, so I pulled out the mic cable and use the A10 internal mics.  Of course, I go to a lot of indie shows where the bands and the PA aren't great, but I was rather surprised that the A10 captured it pretty well.

I'm thinking of making a cap for my A10 to make it more stealthy, but I usually slide it behind my phone in a neoprin case and security never sees it.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2023, 05:14:21 PM »
Ah, the tricks of the trade revealed  >:D
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2024, 08:36:23 AM »
This thread is a bit old, but I just found it and honestly am a bit confused. Why do so many people think this tiny device would need to be even smaller?
Removing the mics only makes it such a tiny bit smaller that I really can't see the point.
Has anyone really had trouble getting one of these info a venue? I guess after previously having got much larger recorders in with no problem, this one seems crazy small to me already.

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2024, 12:51:43 PM »
This thread is a bit old, but I just found it and honestly am a bit confused. Why do so many people think this tiny device would need to be even smaller?
Removing the mics only makes it such a tiny bit smaller that I really can't see the point.
Has anyone really had trouble getting one of these info a venue? I guess after previously having got much larger recorders in with no problem, this one seems crazy small to me already.

The old mics are an eyesore and easily detectable by their bright copper heads, some of us want more  >:D options for certain venues. Before chopping mine, I would gaff the mics to reduce the visibility.

I made mine with the mindset that it would be a clamp rig or backup for board feeds, so the mics are useless in either case. Would make for a pretty great drop rig for field recording where size and not standing out from nature is also a concern.

That all said, my Zoom F3 took it's place this pretty soon after. It was a fun afternoon project to tinker with and could be done with minimal skills.

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2024, 01:17:14 PM »

Because when I'm >:D I'm bringing in multiple packs and recorders. Plus I never use internal mics and find them to be a waste. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.347 seconds with 104 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com