Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noise-canceling over ear headphones that also are good for mastering?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
I travel w Bose noise canceling headphones. Great on the plane, not great to use mastering.

Anything out there that's better? Just give up and bring my Senn 6xx?

TIA
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
The million dollar question. I tried doing this when I first started and it was a disaster!
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I live by the Sony MDR-7506 they really are a gold standard for flat and reliable. They are a bit bright, but in a good way. I think the really high end listening headphones are not quiet as flat.

For mastering they are certainly a great pick, TV and Film industries live by them.

I also have used the wrong headphones in the past and it has ruined things... the noise canceling by nature modified the curve in a dynamic fashion, probably best to avoid for our application.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
I live by the Sony MDR-7506 they really are a gold standard for flat and reliable. They are a bit bright, but in a good way. I think the really high end listening headphones are not quiet as flat.

For mastering they are certainly a great pick, TV and Film industries live by them.

I also have used the wrong headphones in the past and it has ruined things... the noise canceling by nature modified the curve in a dynamic fashion, probably best to avoid for our application.
Love the 7506s, one of my go to pairs for mastering, along w a couple others.

How would noise canceling dynamically impact the sound when turned off? My use case is NC for the plane ride, but off otherwise.

Recordings at LMA

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star

Love the 7506s, one of my go to pairs for mastering, along w a couple others.

How would noise canceling dynamically impact the sound when turned off? My use case is NC for the plane ride, but off otherwise.

Ah, When it's off it certainly wouldn't make any difference to the sound. I would add, most NC headphones are meant for listening enjoyment though and not the most precise reproduction. That being said, there may be some serious headphones out there that are more flat. I am speaking in terms of the off the shelf Bose or Sony WH series and the likes of that, I have Sony WH-4000 and they are highly tuned with some extra bass and punchier mids. They sound great, I just wouldn't fully trust them for mastering.

Where I work around mastering we are always wired so I have little input on wireless products
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
Used my Bose for the flight, arrived at my destination, and realized my host has a studio downstairs. There's 4 flavors of mastering headphones, currently using some flat AKGs.

Moral of the story, only stay with musicians!

Recordings at LMA

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Noise cancelling cans are not for mastering
Cans generally are not for mastering, but can be part of the process.

I always listen in my favorite Sennheisers, my car, and on my home system before I feel a recording as complete.
But I 'master' on my nearfields at the DAW.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
Concur, in general.

I'm on a 2 week trip, and need to release a few shows while on the road.

Larned abuut a possible option last night hanging in the studio with the band I'm recording: Slate headphone modeling. It allows one to listen in a series of differnt models of various studios and things like a standard car audio system, etc. https://stevenslateaudio.com/vsx

Recordings at LMA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
For noise cancelling, I strongly prefer noise isolating IEMs instead. My Etymotic ER4XR are fantastic, even when background noise doesn't need blocking. They blow away all the noise cancelling headphones I've ever tried.

I would agree with Clem though, that you don't want to use these kinds of headphones for critical listening in post work. I alternate listening through my monitor speakers and my open-back HD650s.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
I have used Remote Audio 7506, the weaponized version of the Sony 7506, for many years.  Rather pricey, but they keep outside noises down nicely without noise-cancelling distortions. 

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
Re: Noise-canceling over ear headphones that also are good for mastering?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 05:13:21 AM »
I have used Remote Audio 7506, the weaponized version of the Sony 7506, for many years.  Rather pricey, but they keep outside noises down nicely without noise-cancelling distortions.

FOH is not mastering, but glad that you've mentioned these !
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Jackpine2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 05:32:07 PM »
I read a review of the Mark Levinson No5909 that was very positive. I decided to look on ASR to see what they said. The review was pretty mixed for a $1000 pair of headphones but the frequency response was mostly flat. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mark-levinson-no-5909-headphone-review.35292/

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 06:05:05 PM »
Cans are funny, evey ear is shaped differently, but I do not doubt that those are awesome.
There is a spatial thing about nearfields, as well as a physical component.
It is one of the reasons that "shockwave" head sets work.

That said, I do not doubt that someone can master well on headphones, but it is not standard practice.

Why not try it a few ways, listen to your work on a few different systems and see if you hear differences from your mastering rig ?
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com