Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with Movo windscreens  (Read 2028 times)

Offline to_taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Help with Movo windscreens
« on: August 22, 2022, 11:27:41 AM »
Hi all,

Despite doing a lot less taping this summer, I have had much more trouble with wind than previously.

I have been following the discussions on Movo windscreens with interest, but am having trouble figuring out which ones will work for me. I didn't see anything on the Movo website to help me out.

My gear is not as high end as usually gets discussed here, but it works for me. I would like to get Movo screens for my Sennheiser 421s and my AT-853s (omnis, cards, hypers, and shotguns). Any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Help with Movo windscreens
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »

B and H Photo in NYC sells the Movo windscreens for lav mics in a kit with tie clips. Those would fit your AT 853s but they are small so not sure how robust the wind protection would be if it was really gusty.

The 421 is a weird shape - maybe the windscreen that they make to fit over the built in mics on a recorder would work. They are rectangular like the end of the 421.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline to_taper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »
Thank you for the info.

I spent an afternoon since my post going back 4 years or so in "Microphones & Setup", reading about windscreens. Windtech 10380s look good for my AT-853 omnis, cards, and hypers.

The most straightforward solution seems to be to make my own dead rats to go over my existing windscreens. I've never sewed before but my wife said that it is easy and she'll guide me through it.

Cheers.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 02:52:38 PM »
^ Source long hair faux-fur fabric.  Good acoustically transparent shaggy fur is the biggest variable in DIY rats IMO. Cut two halves from faux-fur slightly larger than needed.  Wrap the two halves around the foam windscreen with the faux-fur inside-out (fur facing foam) and pin together around the median line where they meet. Pull it tight when you pin it, as it will be looser once sewn and inverted inside-out again. Leave excess material in back where the opening will be.  Remove foam windscreen and stitch seam just inside the pinned line. Trim away excess fabric outboard of seam, leaving 1/4" or so.  Re-invert inside-out like a sock.  Seam is now hidden on the inside, fur on the outside. 

Slip over foam screen and secure the extra fabric in back with binder clips (simple, works for me), a cable tie, or get fancy and sew a drawstring closure.  Securely closing off the back from any wind intrusion is the second biggest variable with DIY rats (and any windscreen, IME).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 09:29:14 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline to_taper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 05:34:33 PM »
This advice is greatly appreciated Gutbucket.

Many thanks!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com