Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deverberate  (Read 2022 times)

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Deverberate
« on: September 13, 2022, 07:18:30 PM »
I don’t know who might need to hear this, but I do believe many tapers are forced into situations where they must record from less than optimal distances, and often can get way more arena/hall ambience in their recordings than they might want.  Since I often do recordings of live instruments in a smallish studio, I started playing around with Acon Deverberate to help get rid of the “small room” sound, and after much experimentation I can actually make it work pretty well.  After a friend from Australia sent me a recording he had made from too far back in an auditorium that had far too much hall reverb in it and asked me to try to remove the reverb, I found it was quite effective, and it made me think that some of you taperheads might also be able to use the software to clean up and improve the work you do.
There are a few other software plugins that also claim to “deverb” recordings, but the acon plugin works well and isn’t too spendy.  If you have any questions, LMK.  Otherwise, you might want to DL a demo and try it out.  I have no connection to acon - I am just reporting on my experience.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: Deverberate
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 11:00:32 PM »
Haven't tried that one. but can add those with izotope RX de-reverb, I'm seldom happy with what it does, but the 'enhance dry signal' check box with no other processing is frequently useful. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 01:00:30 AM »
Haven't tried that one. but can add those with izotope RX de-reverb, I'm seldom happy with what it does, but the 'enhance dry signal' check box with no other processing is frequently useful.

I have one song that is low in a finished mix, so I tried the 'enhance dry signal' check box with no other processing. and the song puffed up nicely.  Sat well in the mix after using this trick, and saved me the work of having to backtrack a bit.

Thanks, nice find EmRR  :coolguy:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:45:47 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 02:55:08 PM »
great! 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 04:41:14 PM »
Following.. Have wondered about the efficacy of these routines and their application to overly distant recording positions.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com