Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New OM System LS-P5  (Read 11133 times)

Offline jlmorgan84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
New OM System LS-P5
« on: September 06, 2022, 01:48:00 PM »
I ran across this new recorder from Olympus/OM System today, starts shipping later this month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0If2df_Hbko&list=PLi32uScKi2wy1pkUnAX7Z9-Q1oiAVrG9K

Seems to combine a lot of different features. One concern is according to the specs the internal mics seem noisy (60db signal to noise for the center mic, and 57db for the stereo mics.)

Anyone have any information on this recorder? Or the quality of Olympus recorders in general?

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: New OM System LS-P5
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »
Not having owned one, but ran around Jazzfest in NOLA two times with a guy who owns an LS-10. (used it with the internals only- recordings are very decent) My opinion on Olympus' build quality is very high. I might say they are built even better than the Sony M-10 or A-10. Of course the newer an item is design-wise, the more screwed up they can make it, IMO.     >:D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 05:07:04 PM »
It’s really packed with some nice features and is lacking some others.
The self noise is a bit poor, micro usb and 24/96 could be better.

But it’s only 78g with batteries!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »
Primary questions for tapers will be:
1) Does it feature an external mic-in/line-in jack?
2) If so, what are the specs through that input in both modes.
The specified noise figures are most likely (and hopefully) dominated by the self-noise of the internal mic caps.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »
24/96

1) Does it feature an external mic-in/line-in jack?
2) If so, what are the specs through that input in both modes.

I got the Dutch page when I googled this recorder (switching to English resulted in a much more limited page), so take this with a grain of salt. It definitely does 24/96. I think it has a single, switchable mic/line input. I didn't see specs for that input, in either mode, though.

If it is anything like the previous Olympus recorders, the build quality will be nice.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 06:44:04 PM »
There's a whole playlist of tutorial videos about this device on YouTube.  Internal mic design seems odd - I would have thought an M/S configuration would have been the normal way of using the equivalent of 3 mics to achieve variable width.  About the only feature which seems obviously superior to the A10 is that app provides audio monitoring rather than just remote level setting by meters.  (As memory serves me the A10 app doesn't do that).

This video provides less drama and more facts - https://youtu.be/BT0_ddPxIAo
See also the comments on the video where Olympus are answering questions - I have to say the launch is being handled impressively well!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:52:57 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 08:24:26 PM »
I know the LS-5 is highly coveted in the nature/field recording world for those that can't afford the Sony PCM-D100 recorder.

It is quite strange to have three mics without M/S.

I guess Olympus didn't want to try USB-C on this new recorder for 2022 and wanted to stick with microUSB.

Nice that the recorder can be used as a USB audio interface.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 10:02:59 PM »
It should be possible to connect it to the USB audio input of my DJI Action 2 camera... well, that's what I'm telling myself as my finger hovers over the "buy" button!  It's listed in a number of outlets here in Australia but not yet in stock.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 11:40:58 AM »
Cool features. I like that it has an app that allows for Bluetooth control over a lot of the functions,  iOS and Android compatible AND monitoring from the app. I wouldn't utilize that a lot but many people would like to be able to have their phone out and not the recorder.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 11:46:20 AM »
One reviewer said that you only get remote monitoring when recording in 16 bit mode - needs confirmation maybe.

Offline drgary

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 07:23:01 AM »
I am very interested in this recorder but the way it is being stocked is odd.  B&H has it in stock now, Adorama is accepting preorders and Amazon will take an order and ship for a November 2nd delivery date.  Does anyone know if they are actually available?  And if they are, are they available anywhere in the US besides B&H?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:31:46 PM by drgary »

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 05:45:39 PM »
The manual is now available. 

https://download.aws.olympus.eu/consumer/manuals/audio/LS-P5_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Microphone/Line jack
3.5 mm diameter;
Microphone: Impedance: 2.2 kΩ
Line: Impedance: 10 kΩ

Microphones with plug-in power supplies can be used.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:53:08 PM by justme »

Offline drgary

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 07:26:12 PM »
Thanks. I ordered one today from B&H and it should arrive on Wednesday. I’m looking forward to learning more about its capabilities first hand.

mountainhop

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 04:19:53 AM »
I am very interested in this recorder but the way it is being stocked is odd.  B&H has it in stock now, Adorama is accepting preorders and Amazon will take an order and ship for a November 2nd delivery date.  Does anyone know if they are actually available?  And if they are, are they available anywhere in the US besides B&H?
if BH says its in stock its in stock. a lot of times the big distributors get first dibs on shipments and they queue based on order date until stock catches up

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2022, 07:48:50 AM »
Here's a link to the iOS app:
https://apps.apple.com/en/app/dvr-remote/id1611091737

Interface looks clean. All the features that I need are there on the first screen.

I guess I'll order one to test and maybe keep as a backup/replacement for the Sony A10 (which is ridiculously hard to get here in Europe).

mountainhop

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2022, 09:06:20 AM »
i really cant recall another recorder that recorded directly to FLAC. maybe some other olympus that i never heard of

mountainhop

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2022, 09:10:27 AM »
One concern is according to the specs the internal mics seem noisy (60db signal to noise for the center mic, and 57db for the stereo mics.)

i wonder if thats rated at the industry standard 1 Pa/94 dB. most condensor mics are in the 65-80 range of S/N at that standard

obviously concert volumes (and max SPL of mics) can get a bit higher than that

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2022, 10:38:39 AM »
i really cant recall another recorder that recorded directly to FLAC. maybe some other olympus that i never heard of

Me neither. On the other hand, this is the feature I could most easily live without. Converting WAV files on the computer doesn't really take that long these days. Also, according to the manual, there is a hard 4 GB file size limit for FLAC files after which recording stops. WAV recordings just start a new files after 2 GB. The 4 GB limit is probably never reached in our recording scenarios, but it is still something to be aware of.

Anyways, I have placed my order. Should be here by Saturday or Monday.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2022, 10:46:56 AM »
The maximum file size for a WAV is 4 GB. Most recorders do split them at 2GB, though. Some exceptions include theMarantz PMD620 and 661 and the SD MixPres, which all record to the 4 GB limit.

Curious to hear your reviews!

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 10:59:05 AM »
The maximum file size for a WAV is 4 GB. Most recorders do split them at 2GB, though. Some exceptions include theMarantz PMD620 and 661 and the SD MixPres, which all record to the 4 GB limit.

Yes, that is a technical limitation in the file format. However, I don't see a reason why the recorder can't just start a new file after reaching this limit - like it does for WAV files. That seems like a somewhat arbitrary design choice.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2022, 11:27:22 AM »
Yes, it is very strange! Still pretty curious about this one, though. Olympus usually has good build quality.

Offline drgary

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2022, 03:29:15 PM »
Mine arrived today.  My first impression is that t is small and light, much smaller than my my 14 year old LS-10.  So far without reading the sparse instructions it was not as intuitive to operate as I expected.  However, I'm confident that by tomorrow that opinion will change after I've spent more time working with it.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 06:06:15 PM »
There are some tutorial videos online - YouTube - made by Olympus themselves, for people who find a picture is worth a thousand words!

mountainhop

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 06:40:31 PM »

Me neither. On the other hand, this is the feature I could most easily live without. Converting WAV files on the computer doesn't really take that long these days. Also, according to the manual, there is a hard 4 GB file size limit for FLAC files after which recording stops. WAV recordings just start a new files after 2 GB. The 4 GB limit is probably never reached in our recording scenarios, but it is still something to be aware of.

Anyways, I have placed my order. Should be here by Saturday or Monday.
my only concern would be the extra processing power perhaps causing buffering/writer errors. jsut one more link in the chain to fail. a 4GB 2 channel flac at 24/96 is close to 4 hours so it would serve most needs. still i think the auto-start new file is superior (if its seamless!!!)

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2022, 09:35:13 AM »
I have received mine yesterday. Here are my first impressions from a taper's perspective, with comparisons to the Sony PCM-A10.

Things I like:
  • Build quality feels really good.
  • The LS-P5 is as small as the Sony PCM-A10 (maybe even a little thinner) and it seems to be lighter.
  • The removable batteries are a big plus over the A10's fixed battery.
  • The iOS app seems to react to user input a little faster than the Sony A10 app.
  • FLAC recording is an awesome feature. See below for the caveat.
  • My non-scientific tests at home indicate similar sound quality to the A10.

Things I don't like:
  • Pre-recording time is only 2 seconds. I've learned to love this feature with the A10 and that unit's 5 seconds of pre-rec time turned out to be just enough for me to react when the show starts. The LS-P5's 2 seconds are too little. Also, the pre-recording has to be started consciously using the F2 function button under the LCD (or via a seperate button in the app). Pressing the big red record button starts a normal recording without the pre-recording feature.
  • Pre-recording does NOT work when recording to FLAC. This is a real bummer.
  • The Bluetooth connection is lost when the iPhone is locked or switches to another app. It automatically re-connects when the app is opened again, but this can take anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds. This is a major disappointment and renders the Bluetooth functionality almost unusable for me!
  • When the app is idling for a few seconds without user input, the iPhone turns off the screen and the Bluetooth connection is lost. The A10 app prevents this from happening. This would have been a nice workaround for the Bluetooth disconnections.

I'll take the unit out to a show next week (or maybe the week after that). The Bluetooth connectivity is a big disappointment, though. I'm thinking about returning the recorder because of that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 02:51:20 PM by Sebastian »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2022, 09:09:58 PM »
Thanks for those observations.  i suspect they will get a similar reaction from others concerning bluetooth and will hopefully fix it in the app or firmware.

Online vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2022, 11:13:58 PM »
> The Bluetooth connection is lost when the iPhone is locked or switches to another app. It automatically re-connects when the app is opened again, but this can take anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds. This is a major disappointment and renders the Bluetooth functionality almost unusable for me!

I've had the same happen with the A10. I had to go back into the phone bluetooth menu and reestablish a connection. The app came back to life. But I've also had it appear as the recording wasn't happening (the timer was at zero), even though it showed levels. Checked the recorder and sure enough it was recording. After restarting the app -- or waiting a bit, I can't recall -- it did show the correct time.

Just a warning to those who rely on the app.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 01:56:55 AM »
I've had the same happen with the A10. I had to go back into the phone bluetooth menu and reestablish a connection.

The LS-P5 does not even show in the phone's native Bluetooth menu, so there's no way to pair it from there. One has to do this via the app. That might also be the reason why the connection is dropped the second the app is closed.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2022, 06:29:41 AM »
One thing that is useful for future readers would be if these mini reviews were accompanied with information about firmware version and app version.

Functionality often evolves as updates are delivered and it is sometimes difficult to understand an issue if people are talking from the perspective of different firmware or app versions.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Online vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2022, 12:50:12 AM »
> One thing that is useful for future readers would be if these mini reviews were accompanied with information about firmware version and app version.

The value of these threads -- and this site, vs. more visually pleasing and spontaneous Facebook hobby groups -- is that's what you get, a rolling yet static assessment of a piece of gear, with early advance and field tests of firmware.

That is why across TS the reliance on an established thread is best. Always check before starting a new one, especially in the open/stealth realm, where duplication creates confusion and inaccuracy.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2022, 05:05:25 AM »
I took the LS-P5 out to its first show last night and had even more problems with the Bluetooth connectivity than I had had at home. Sometimes it took over 10 seconds for the app to become responsive. I ended up pulling the recorder out of my pocket to check and set levels. The recording sounds good, though.

Also, I have contacted OM technical support. They did not seem to understand the problem and assured me that recording still continues on the device even when the recorder displays "Disconnected". I never questioned that. I followed up with a more detailed bug report, including screenshots. Let's see what they're saying. If they can't fix this, I will return the recorder.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2022, 10:13:57 AM »
I just got another demoralizing e-mail from OM support in which they refuse to recognize a problem. That is really too bad because this recorder has a lot of potential. However, I cannot use it with their current Bluetooth implementation. And I have zero confidence in their customer support. So I'm going to return mine and order a Sony A10 as a backup from B&H in the U.S. instead, even if this means paying 100 EUR more and not having replaceable batteries.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 10:28:08 AM by Sebastian »

Offline thebigredone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2022, 09:38:38 AM »
Took the LS-P5 to its first gig on Saturday. Recording came out great, but the BT connectivity, horrendous. After connecting the first time so I could kick the recording off, it never connected again 'til after the show when I was in a cab home. This was the same on two different phones (Samsung S20 & S21). Fortunately, I'd set the level fairly low ( 8 ), just in case I had this issue as mentioned further up this thread.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 02:22:19 AM by thebigredone »

Offline thebigredone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2023, 03:50:21 AM »
Took the LS-P5 to its second gig last night. This time I used an iPhone 6S for the BT connection instead of my Samsung. As much as I hate iPhones, I have to say, it worked very well. 5-6 seconds to connect (not perfect, I know, but so much better than with the S20 & 21). So, my personal recommendation is to use an iPhone for this particular purpose if you can.

Offline Teppka

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2023, 04:06:29 PM »
Could someone suggest if tripod thread is steel or plastic?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.305 seconds with 61 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com