Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need help troubleshooting mic issue  (Read 2163 times)

Offline KISSFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
need help troubleshooting mic issue
« on: September 17, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »
I use SP-CMC-8 mics > SP-SBSP1 battery box > Edirol R05.
i had this intermittent dropout problem back in December and contacted the dealer to help troubleshoot. dealer says "change the battery in the battery box". I am sure that is not the issue here, but I did anyway and, of course, the problem was gone. I have recorded more than 40 shows, changing the battery box 9v frequently (including yesterday I used a brand new battery). I am attaching a screenshot of the waveform as well as a sample of the sound of the dropouts.
The problem seems to happen a lot within in a few minutes, and then won't happen again for an hour or more.
Based on this info, is there a way to tell if I have a faulty battery box or if I need new/repaired mics?

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: need help troubleshooting mic issue
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 12:47:16 PM »
That sort of overwhelming transient does look like intermittent power, or some other similar intermittent fault, like a cold solder joint that acclimates and de-acclimates depending on conditions.  Cable....it's a big list of things.  Dying batteries don't do this, FWIW.  Anything you can do to rule out various parts of the chain, one at a time? 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »
This sounds like a dirty connector or jostled(semi loose) input/output connector.

It's not at the mic capsule ends because both channels drop out.

I would clean all the minijacks with 91 percent isopropyl alcohol being careful not to get any on the plastic parts.

Do you have a good system of securing the cables entry and exits with some gaffer tape,rubber bands.velcro etc.?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 05:05:30 PM by beatkilla »

Offline KISSFAN

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 11:22:05 AM »
This sounds like a dirty connector or jostled(semi loose) input/output connector. thats sort of the direction I am leaning too

It's not at the mic capsule ends because both channels drop out. true, but it could be at the plug end of the mics, couldn't it?

I would clean all the minijacks with 91 percent isopropyl alcohol being careful not too get any on the plastic parts. will try that

Do you have a good system of securing the cables entry and exits with some gaffer tape,rubber bands.velcro etc.? I use a rubber band to secure the mic cable into the battery box

Offline KISSFAN

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 11:31:32 AM »
Dying batteries don't do this, FWIW. I know. Sadly, I know all too well what dying batteries sound like (from experience), but I would have felt silly trying to tell the people at the mic company that wasn't the problem given my limited knowledge of the equipment- and then when the problem resolved, I was stuck at a dead end

Anything you can do to rule out various parts of the chain, one at a time? i was able to record last night using the mics without the battery box and plugging direct into the recorder and had no problems for the 2h15min recording. I am thinking it is an issue with the battery box, though I don't have any local friends with a loaner battery box to try to prove this. I will try Beatkilla's cleaning suggestion and contact the company to see if this is a repairable problem or if i am destined to buy a replacement box. i would have assumed that a dirty contact would act more like static than clunky dropouts that i would associate more with, like you said, loose soldered connections

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 02:55:34 PM »
Both channels so not a mic issue but likely a cable or stereo jack.  As previously noted these are pretty long transients at 0.5 sec - 1.0+ and in somewhat rapid succession.

I'd set this rig up in front of a stereo and put pieces apart one at a time to troubleshoot. 

Remove the mics and cable.  With the recorder on wiggle the cable at both ends noting which end first.  Mark that File A.  (any noise should simply be static from a loose end or jack)

If there is noise stop and replace the interconnect, and repeat the step above.  If no noise it is the cable, if there is noise it is a jack.

If there is no noise from the interconnect/jack tests above then add the mics and do the same thing (wiggle interconnect between BB and recorder, note which end first and call that file B. (this should have music only but if you are still getting dropouts you can swap interconnect and try again to rule out interconnect/jack)

Then try it by wiggling the mic cables only that way you can figure out which end the noise is from; mic to BB or BB to the recorder.

Hopefully, some of that makes sense.  Good luck

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 03:32:08 PM »
All good advice above.

Also a good idea to clean the battery contacts in the battery box while you are at it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com