Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure MV88 and Phone Charging Splitter / what works and what doesn't  (Read 2408 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
I've been looking for a way to split my iPhone lightning port into two, so that I might power and charge the phone while recording with the MV88.

Anyone have any success finding a splitter that works?

So far, this one does not work....MV88 is not even recognized by MOTIV software.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096B2PXSD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Trying this one next....looks like it does not have a bunch of circuitry in the design...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TQGQ8QS/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3B7ARPGAYNO0J

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Shure MV88 and Phone Charging Splitter / what works and what doesn't
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »
Is this for the original MV88, or the MV88+?

For the latter, they specifically mention the official apple dongle: https://service.shure.com/Service/s/article/mv88plus-with-iphone-while-charging?language=en_US#:~:text=Is%20it%20possible%20to%20charge,when%20using%20the%20following%20procedure.

I should be getting a used MV88+ in the mail today...wanted to compare/contrast to the original a bit (charging while recording, among the areas of interest).

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 02:03:26 PM »
The original MV88, with a 2 meter lightning extension cable is what I'm using.

Need more runtime than the phone can give me, hence the need to supply power while recording.

I'll pick up a female lightning connector to USB A...

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Lightning-Certified-Headphones-Earphones/dp/B07W7YQT4S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TJXKF8BB2PAK&keywords=female+lightning+connector+to+USB+A&qid=1663866389&sprefix=female+lightning+connector+to+usb+a%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-3

And one of those Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7KJDIM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

and give it a try.  Standby, Thanks

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 05:36:15 AM »
The original MV88, with a 2 meter lightning extension cable is what I'm using.

I have been toying with that idea. How and to what do you mount the mic when in use?

I'll pick up a female lightning connector to USB A...
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Lightning-Certified-Headphones-Earphones/dp/B07W7YQT4S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TJXKF8BB2PAK&keywords=female+lightning+connector+to+USB+A&qid=1663866389&sprefix=female+lightning+connector+to+usb+a%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-3

It'll be great if that works (although I am a little sceptical). Please share your experience  :)
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 06:22:48 AM »
:popcorn:
I wish to follow this thread please, thanks nice computer lol!
🍿
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 01:34:52 PM »
Bah

Every splitter device I tried WILL pass power. but the MV88 mic is never recognized.

The Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter did an automatic update, when I first plugged into the iPhone 8

Don't know what the "update" did, but it did not recognize the MV88 either.

Then the phone gave me a "Cannot Use this Accessory -- Uses Too Much Power" error.

I tried a few generic Chinese ones, too....nope.

BAH

The simple splitter dongle only passed power, I had high hopes, but no dice either.  "Accesory not supported" was the error I got.

A trip down the Goggggle rabbit-hole tells me that only the Shure MV88+ has the ability to be connected to a splitter that provides power to the iPhone.

NOT my MV88  :banging head:

Link to MV88+ setup:

https://service.shure.com/Service/s/article/mv88plus-with-iphone-while-charging?language=en_US

I think my best move now is to have my old iPhone 5s serviced with a fresh new battery, put it on the shelf, and just save it for recording.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 09:29:45 PM »
One more wrinkle....

I pulled the SIM, cleared out some files and pictures and dumbed-down the 5S iPhone, also turning off wi-fi.

Then I charged the phone, and shut it down.

After powering it back up, and launching the MOTIV app, I get a popup that tells me....

Unable to Verify App

A connection to the App Store is required for the first launch of "MOTIV Audio" on this iPhone.
Please connect to the Internet and try again.

I have to turn on wi-fi on the phone to get the MOTIV App to launch successfully.

I'll leave the iPhone plugged in and charging, and make sure to fire up the app before I leave the house, to double-check its launch.

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 07:21:30 PM »
You could try using a MagSafe charging pack to remove the need for a splitter. I think some allow for pass through power when plugged in and connected to external power.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 04:10:59 PM »
Probably not too helpful but here goes…

For Def Leppard and Journey I used a 5s.  Between bands I had a 5000mah battery I charged the 5s until I recorded the next band.  Got both just fine. 

For Kansas I used my 12 Mini and had the Apple MagSafe battery “attached” to the back while recording.  The Apple batteries are about $90 each.  I have another no name battery that will attach to the 12 Mini but it’s bigger and awkward. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 06:10:47 AM »

I'll leave the iPhone plugged in and charging, and make sure to fire up the app before I leave the house, to double-check its launch.
I found a 5S battery replacement kit on Amazon. It looked a bit daunting at first, but turned out to be doable after watching a couple of youtube videos.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com