Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GPU question about transferring 480p vids from the early 2000's  (Read 1003 times)

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: GPU question about transferring 480p vids from the early 2000's
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 12:38:56 AM »
sony digital8 vids.

You will need to capture these in real time, so a 2 hour show will take 2 hours to transfer.

I recommend transferring to your PC using a IEEE 1394 (aka Firewire) cable. This plugs directly into your Sony camcorder and you will need a Firewire port on your PC. This will result in a bit for bit copy of the tape. Size will be 13 gigabytes per hour. Video will be interlaced.

When you say: "I think the extent of my work would be mixing down two sources", do you mean you will be doing a 2-cam mix or will you be adding a separate audio to your video?

What will be your output? Are you planning to upscale to a higher resolution? Will you be creating regular DVDs or are you planning to just play them back on a media player (MP4/MKV format)?

Sony Vegas (now called Vegas PRO) will be sufficient for editing, colour correction etc. and encoding. If you want to try something different (and free), then take a look at Davinci Resolve.

What are the specs of the PC you're building?

What sort of shows did you film?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 01:03:03 AM by sabre »

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 09:36:25 AM »
sony digital8 vids.

I recommend transferring to your PC using a IEEE 1394 (aka Firewire) cable. This plugs directly into your Sony camcorder and you will need a Firewire port on your PC.

Since he did this 20 years ago, it's possible OP already knows about this.  But just in case ...

I've used a firewire to capture a couple thousand hours of video, so I'm very familiar with installing a firewire port card on a computer; because they rarely ever came/come with them unless you special ordered a computer to include it.

For reference, this is what one looks like for a PC:

Even if you've never been the type to get really hands on with the insides of a computer, installing one of these cards is super easy.  The KEY is getting a card with teeth (see gold portion of card in above image) that match the corresponding socket on your computer's motherboard.  There are (at least) three or four different socket configurations for firewire cards.

Of course, you could always take it to Geek Squad or a neighborhood shop (if you're lucky to have one).  But they only cost $20 on Amazon, and professional installation would almost certainly cost a lot more.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Justy Gyee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • justys llama
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2024, 02:01:25 PM »
sony digital8 vids.

You will need to capture these in real time, so a 2 hour show will take 2 hours to transfer.

I recommend transferring to your PC using a IEEE 1394 (aka Firewire) cable. This plugs directly into your Sony camcorder and you will need a Firewire port on your PC. This will result in a bit for bit copy of the tape. Size will be 13 gigabytes per hour. Video will be interlaced.

When you say: "I think the extent of my work would be mixing down two sources", do you mean you will be doing a 2-cam mix or will you be adding a separate audio to your video?

What will be your output? Are you planning to upscale to a higher resolution? Will you be creating regular DVDs or are you planning to just play them back on a media player (MP4/MKV format)?

Sony Vegas (now called Vegas PRO) will be sufficient for editing, colour correction etc. and encoding. If you want to try something different (and free), then take a look at Davinci Resolve.

What are the specs of the PC you're building?

What sort of shows did you film?
thanks for all the info fellas.
im semi computer literate but just didnt really know how things are working in modern setting with gpus and rendering tasks.
yes. going the firewire route.
yes. a bunch of these shows have a full stage tape and a tape with close ups. do plan on adding audio when available.
i hadn't really thought about upscaling, i dont really plan on rendering to dvd. will be happy with mp4/mkv.
main plan is to get these tapes onto hard drives and go from there.
i plan to do a shoot out with the two pcs i have on hand.
a Intel i7-6700 CPU 3.40 GHz with 64g ram & pci firewire card
or my older workstation
deal processor Intel Xeon CPU E5-2620 2.00 GHz with 32g ram onboard 1394 ports
honestly with the amount of tapes i have i will probably end up using both machines for capture.

this is in the planning stages.
next step is getting software and a couple cameras(my video hobby ended when my cameras were stolen).
heres some of the things i shot and managed to keep a list of.
https://db.etree.org/sciphotoman

if it aint broke, don't fix it

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2024, 03:43:33 PM »
next step is getting software and a couple cameras

The old digital 8 cams went through a period where you couldn't give them away ten years ago, to now - where people like you need them and supply and demand is sort of in the sellers' favor.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com