Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Tascam DR-40 onboard mics for a concert, advice for a first time taper?

(1/5) > >>

vermouth:
I was looking into gear like Church Audio mics and a battery box to use with my DR-40 to tape rock concerts, but I found a recording straight off the DR-40's onboard mics and it sounds better than most recordings I'm hearing by tapers with external mic setups.
https://archive.org/details/tsp2016-04-19.flac16/tsp2016-04-19t07.flac

The shows are going to be outdoors in big venues like the Hollywood Bowl. Taping isn't allowed at some of them, so a simple setup is ideal.

If I plan to just use the onboard mics, could anyone recommend the settings I should use on the DR-40? I have never done this before so any help is appreciated. I plan to wear the DR-40 on a lanyard.

I do own a Rode Lavalier mic (professional MiCon lav), is that useful? I have an XLR adapter and used it for interviews with the DR40.

hedfro:
Hi,
Lanyard is not a good idea, cause you have to point the mics towards the speakers, not the ground with your lanyard...

mountainhop:
DR40 is fine but i assure you the mics are no better than any others. what you are hearing in that recording is location, location, location

the best way to get in spots like that that sound good is with smaller gear where mics arent a part of a larger recorder you dont have to hold up toward the PA

in addition, smaller gear is easier to get inside a venue, which is a growing concern

fireonshakedwnstreet:
DR-40 may be tough to get in. Can't be passed as anything other than a recording device.

vermouth:
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Is there a much smaller but comparable handheld recorder that would give similar results to the DR-40?

--- Quote from: hedfro on October 25, 2022, 12:35:17 AM ---Lanyard is not a good idea, cause you have to point the mics towards the speakers, not the ground with your lanyard...

--- End quote ---
I have a camera d-ring swivel mount on the DR40, so it can hang and face forward toward the source.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version