Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Media Center PCs  (Read 3310 times)

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Media Center PCs
« on: January 23, 2006, 09:15:04 AM »
I'm looking at putting together a media center pc for my new place.  Ideally I'd love to build it myself, but I need some reading on the systems- can anyone point me in the right direction?

One of the biggest things for me is getting it to look like a real component for my system and not a computer on the shelf.  note that the unit cannot be hidden in my new place, it will be on the rack (not a screw in rack, but rather a shelf rack) with my other components.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline jbraveman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Media Center PCs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:06:41 AM »
It would be really cool to hack out  the insides of a regular stereo component and make it into a pc.  Here is a guy who made a pc out of an old radio.

http://bdwoolman.net/radio/index.htm

these also look a lot like audio components:

http://store.niveusmedia.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.3/.f

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:29:11 AM by jbraveman »

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 11:05:28 AM »
thanks much!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 11:06:46 AM »
Doesn't Macdaddy have a setup w/ a PC in it that looks somewhat lo-profile?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:12:30 AM »
These are a little expensive, but they look pretty cool.

http://www.ahanix.com/

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:31:27 AM »
Here's just one article on a homemade box using linux...

http://angerman.net/articles/jukebox/

... where he used an Ahanix case (looks like a stereo component, quiet, lcd display, etc, but not cheap)...

http://www.ahanix.com/ctg_htc.html

All I can say is, if ya got the time and money, do it.

I built one for my 19" rack system and it's great... 400G of flac tunes on removable RAID1 fires up at the push of a button... download directly to it (and alt contol it) using wireless lan... tiny external antenna on a wire http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/index.php?CatID=32&FamID=58 can be put almost anywhere and this allows the ethernet bridge to be hidden (like behind the unit)... and no more burning.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 11:40:52 AM »
www.silverstonetek.com

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product-case.htm

I have LCO3V

I really like the case. If you are still thinking about building 1 i have a fanless powersupply I got from these guys and the thing is rock solid. It just didn't work with everything I tried to shove in to this case. I would be willing to let it go cheap just to get it out of my APT

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-30nf.htm

thats the link to the power supply i have. I might have used it for roughly 10 hours before switching to a fan based power supply. The case with my high end graphics card + p4 2.4 hyper thread was to much heat w/o another fan. It and it was easier to switch power supplys do to space requirements then add another fan. I also have to say that I modded the graphics card to remove the fans there as well so the whole thing was generating a lot of heat. It was a case of trying to put to much performance in a small foot print
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 01:47:09 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 04:46:46 PM »
J,

Is video necessary?

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
J,

Is video necessary?

D~

yes.  hd video.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 05:13:48 PM »
Doesn't Macdaddy have a setup w/ a PC in it that looks somewhat lo-profile?

yep...

and you can get much better cases than the one i have (like brush aluminum rack-mount w/ handles, etc.)...

but i have the rough draft that runs swell...

use an airboard, which can control foobar, and then use it to train a learning remote (i use one of theatermaster ones), and you run the whole thing via remote control...

she needs a new facelift, but she was all the rage a few years ago, when i first strapped her together running winamp2...

i think the lcd is a nice touch, too...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 05:40:26 PM »
You can get full ATX formfactor cases that don't stick out at all.

(lower right)

I still find media PCs clunky and awkward to interface with.  Until I get a nice HDTV or LCD TV, I'm not going to futz with one again.  The display is the biggest problem... unless you have a nice display upon which to read the text, you're stuck squinting at fuzzy words and images.

If you're looking for just audio, you might try getting a Squeezebox.  It does FLAC, OGG, MP3, WMA, and pretty much everything else (probably not SHN, though) and can interface with a universal remote control or a browser (for advanced management).  The one drawback is that it cannot, as of yet, do 24/96.

I just ordered one yesterday.  I'll make a thread about it once I've put it through its paces.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 05:44:40 PM »
few thoughts --

1) check out www.pcalchemy.com for lots of htpc case, etc. ideas.

2) hdtv via mediacenter is pretty much limited to broadcast-only (at least until the next generation of windows comes out) -- reason being that there are not any "cable card" compatible tuner cards on the market.  So, if you intend to feed your htpc cable/satellite hdtv, you might want to hold off 'till the optimal specs for the next version of windoze are available.

3) noise is the enemy of htpcs -- fan noise is necessitated by heat.  Heat can be minimized by keeping performance (processor & video card speed) down to the minimum amount required for your goals (i.e. if you don't intend to do much gaming, don't build a pc optimized for gaming.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 05:50:43 PM »
few thoughts --

3) noise is the enemy of htpcs -- fan noise is necessitated by heat.  Heat can be minimized by keeping performance (processor & video card speed) down to the minimum amount required for your goals (i.e. if you don't intend to do much gaming, don't build a pc optimized for gaming.

exactamundo...

also - if you send the digital signal out to anexternal dac, you dont have the diginoise problem inherent in media pcs...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »
few thoughts --

exactamundo...

also - if you send the digital signal out to anexternal dac, you dont have the diginoise problem inherent in media pcs...

This was / is what my issue was. I built a PC to be everything i wanted and highend vid + beefy processor and small form factor but with no noise. well i had a silent PC but the heat was making it act funny so I swapped power to add more airflow and that fixed my heat issue but it now makes more noise then i am comfortable with for serious audio listening. I will get a squeezebox for audio and probably just pull the guts out of the fancy case and build a full tower / server for gaming. The LCD on the fron of the sliverstones is pretty cool. it will scroll RSS feeds and give you all sorts of info. It displays what audio you are playing bit depth etc etc.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com