Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 digimod without removing the playback functionality (adding relays) ?  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Vismars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi!

I recently bought a used unmodded UA-5 (110,-€).

Going to digimod it, i was thinking about a better solution then just cutting and jumpering.
Couldn't I just add two relays switched by the USB connectors 5V so that the unit works
as a digimod unit without usb connected and as a normal unit whenever it gets 5V from the
USB port?
I would add one relay being open unpowered to the place where the "cut" is done and one
that is closed unpowered at the place where the signal is jumped.

Has somebody done that before? I do not think that the SPDIF signal will degrade by
passing a small relais, but im not an electronics expert, so perhaps you foresee problems I
didn't think about - please let me know.

I'm going to ask my local electronics shop for relais that switch at 5V, hope i'll find some..

Tom

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
If all you will use is mics ... (never plug a guitar in directly) you can use the Hi-Z button to switch in and out the digimod.
It would be an easier than relays mod tho.

(NOT MINE... I saw it done here)
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
I personally don't see the point in trying to make the digi-mod reversable like that. The potential for added noise by adding more wire and a switch, just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I have heard that some guys have done it though.  :-\
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline jlo

• Taperssection Newbie
I added a two position switch to have standalone/PC possibility : no problem, no noise, works fine.

Offline Vismars

• Taperssection Newbie
Today I finally did the modification. Works fine.

Where the USB is connected to the PCB there is one square soldering Spot wich is the +5 Volts coming from USB. The one in front of that is the GND from USB.
Just connected the relay there and then the 4 Points described in the digimod to the relay.

Connected with USB to a computer the UA5 now behaves just as a stock unit and when the USB cable is disconnected it behaves just like a digimod UA5.

I now can use the UA-5 as a USB playback device with my notebook computer, which did not come equipped with a good sounding soundcard.

Tom

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: UA-5 digimod without removing the playback functionality (adding relays) ?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 12:29:37 AM »
Today I finally did the modification. Works fine.

Where the USB is connected to the PCB there is one square soldering Spot wich is the +5 Volts coming from USB. The one in front of that is the GND from USB.
Just connected the relay there and then the 4 Points described in the digimod to the relay.

Connected with USB to a computer the UA5 now behaves just as a stock unit and when the USB cable is disconnected it behaves just like a digimod UA5.

I now can use the UA-5 as a USB playback device with my notebook computer, which did not come equipped with a good sounding soundcard.

Tom

Nicely done!

+T

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com