Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need HELP in EQ!  (Read 1554 times)

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
Need HELP in EQ!
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:24:41 PM »
Hi there!

Last 8th October I taped Blind Guardian (Heavy metal) in Barcelona. The recording came out really great (the setup was worth of it, DPA4061>RSPreamp>IriverIHP120).

I'm just asking for help, because this show means a lot for me and I don't want to leave it "as it was recorded" and I want to apply some EQ but I'm not  really experienced in that.

SO I'm attaching a link to a sample file (full song, wav, 55 mb)
http://rapidshare.de/files/36250164/BG-08102006.Barcelona-sample-Another.stranger.me.wav.html

If someone could download it and then tell me which EQ should be appropiated, here's my intention

- Add some clarity to guitars (rythmin guitars are low)
- Give voice much more force

I was thinking in applying the following filters in wavelab

- C4 Basic Multi
- L3 Ultramaximizer

But I think that a carefully close up from a experienced TS user could help me more than my little knoweledge.

Thanks for the help!
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline lonewolfrecords

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Need HELP in EQ!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:38:35 PM »
Hi,

I wasn't able to download the file, but here are some thoughts/tips about EQing the show that I have found from my experience. Please keep in mind that there is not much you can do to bring out the guitars if they were low in the mix:

1) If at all possible, don't use cheap computer speakers to do the monitoring of the audio when EQing. Based on the plug-ins you have, I assume that you have a pair of decent near-field or direct-field monitors for the audio. Listen to some of your favorite CD's on your monitors to get a feel for how they sound with discs that you are very familiar with before you start to EQ the show.

2) Do not modify the original show. Work on a saved separate copy.

3) It is better to cut frequencies rather than boost frequencies, if at all possible. For example, if the show sounds too bass heavy or muddy, try to cut frequencies around the 60-200HZ range (need to play with it, and see which frequency cut will help reduce the bass in a good way).

4) Less is more. Don't use any unnecessary plugins just for the sake of using them. It is possible that the L3 could be the only plugin that you need to use.

5) Work on the file to find a setting that you like for the EQ, and then save that plugin chain with the file. Take a Break and work on the file again the next day. Listen to the show with the EQ plugin, and then bypass on the next day. Does the EQ still sound as good as it did the day before? Always try to minimize the amount of boosting that you do of frequencies. Repeat this for 1 more day.

6) If you like the EQ you came up with on the third day, process the file and burn an audio CD of the show with the EQ. Play it on your home stereo, portable player, car cd player, etc. See how it sounds in the different places, and if you are happy with the EQ. If not, think about what is either lacking or too over-powering. Take another pass at the EQ if you need to.

7) If you use the L3, and are dithering the signal, make sure it is the last plugin in the chain.

There are some good books out there on the subject of mastering as well as mixing, but some Very general tips that I have found that may help you are: a) boost around 200Hz will add "body" to a male vocal, but keep in mind that on an audience recording you will get much more than the vocals. b) boost around 4kHZ to 6kHZ will add presence to the recording, and will generally help with the sense of "clarity" in the recording (as well as the vocals depending on your recording). c) boost around 10kHZ and above will increase cymbols but also possibly add too much harshness depending on the recording. d) Frequencies around 1kHZ will make vocals kinda "nassaly" if boosted, but may also increase the clarity of the guitar, depending on the source.

I would recommend starting with just the L3 multimaximizer (the one that has the ability to EQ as well as the limiter). Set your threshold on the L3 so that you get a maximum atten. of -1.0db to -2.0db. This will help to increase the loudness, but still maintain much of the dynamic range of the recording. Also, adjust the cross-over frequencies between bands to see what sounds the best to you. I have found that a slight change in the cross-over frequency can have a major impact on the sound.

I hope that this was some help. In my opinion, a balanced EQ sound is the goal. If you want to boost certain frequencies, that is what the tone controls are for on your stereo.

Take care,

T.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:35:40 AM »
Hi,

I wasn't able to download the file, but here are some thoughts/tips about EQing the show that I have found from my experience. Please keep in mind that there is not much you can do to bring out the guitars if they were low in the mix:

1) If at all possible, don't use cheap computer speakers to do the monitoring of the audio when EQing. Based on the plug-ins you have, I assume that you have a pair of decent near-field or direct-field monitors for the audio. Listen to some of your favorite CD's on your monitors to get a feel for how they sound with discs that you are very familiar with before you start to EQ the show.

2) Do not modify the original show. Work on a saved separate copy.

3) It is better to cut frequencies rather than boost frequencies, if at all possible. For example, if the show sounds too bass heavy or muddy, try to cut frequencies around the 60-200HZ range (need to play with it, and see which frequency cut will help reduce the bass in a good way).

4) Less is more. Don't use any unnecessary plugins just for the sake of using them. It is possible that the L3 could be the only plugin that you need to use.

5) Work on the file to find a setting that you like for the EQ, and then save that plugin chain with the file. Take a Break and work on the file again the next day. Listen to the show with the EQ plugin, and then bypass on the next day. Does the EQ still sound as good as it did the day before? Always try to minimize the amount of boosting that you do of frequencies. Repeat this for 1 more day.

6) If you like the EQ you came up with on the third day, process the file and burn an audio CD of the show with the EQ. Play it on your home stereo, portable player, car cd player, etc. See how it sounds in the different places, and if you are happy with the EQ. If not, think about what is either lacking or too over-powering. Take another pass at the EQ if you need to.

7) If you use the L3, and are dithering the signal, make sure it is the last plugin in the chain.

There are some good books out there on the subject of mastering as well as mixing, but some Very general tips that I have found that may help you are: a) boost around 200Hz will add "body" to a male vocal, but keep in mind that on an audience recording you will get much more than the vocals. b) boost around 4kHZ to 6kHZ will add presence to the recording, and will generally help with the sense of "clarity" in the recording (as well as the vocals depending on your recording). c) boost around 10kHZ and above will increase cymbols but also possibly add too much harshness depending on the recording. d) Frequencies around 1kHZ will make vocals kinda "nassaly" if boosted, but may also increase the clarity of the guitar, depending on the source.

I would recommend starting with just the L3 multimaximizer (the one that has the ability to EQ as well as the limiter). Set your threshold on the L3 so that you get a maximum atten. of -1.0db to -2.0db. This will help to increase the loudness, but still maintain much of the dynamic range of the recording. Also, adjust the cross-over frequencies between bands to see what sounds the best to you. I have found that a slight change in the cross-over frequency can have a major impact on the sound.

I hope that this was some help. In my opinion, a balanced EQ sound is the goal. If you want to boost certain frequencies, that is what the tone controls are for on your stereo.

Take care,

T.

Well said I have seen guys go into a studio and the first thing they reach for is the plug in or the compressor or the eq :) Its always best to do the least amount of editing you can do in order to change things. T+

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 09:31:20 AM »
Thanks lonewolf.

Sincerely, I try to apply the less EQ to my recordings.

I use to apply a high-pass filter with cut off freq at 100-120 Hz (not using bass rolloff in my battery box) and I use to boost (3db max) on certain frequencies, but, as I told in my previous post, since I'm not an expert and I consider that I don't have that magic "ear", I was hoping if someone could take a closer hearing to the sample and then suggest me what to do.

Anyway, thanks and +T for your brilliant answer!
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com