Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable Sound Quality question  (Read 4187 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Cable Sound Quality question
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:47:45 AM »
I had a quick question, and i guess different people have different opinions on the subject, but...

Say i am recording a show through the board, and i am using some regular old mini 1/8" male to 2 rca male out of my preamp into the board, say something like this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6334111&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08053&id=1077625917379

or say i buy some more expensive $70 dollar mini to rca cable that is obviously of higher quality, at least build wise, am i really going to be able to hear any difference?

Im just saying because i am about to buy some cable and adapters so i can start doing soundboard recordings when i get the change, and i really am pretty low on money at this point (i'm a student), if i am not putting tons of wear and tear on the cable, would using a cheaper cable really make any difference compared to a 'better' cable?

thanks.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cable Sound Quality question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:51:38 AM »
Remember the adage "You get what you pay for"

There are several places on the net where you can get some quality cables on a budget.  First and foremost is the yard sale here.   Check around.  Consider buying used. 

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:33:21 AM »
Here's the problem:

On the one hand, bad cables can ruin a recording. Good connections, quality cable construction, etc. is important.

On the other hand, lost of folks out there are selling snake oil. Cables can sell for more than a pair of Schoeps tubes, and that's a waste on money.

Get a cable that transfers signal & has a good tight conenction, and don't buy anything you can't return after listening to it.

-Noah

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:15:24 AM »
what about adapters? Are most of the adapters the same or is it the same way as with cable, you get what you pay for? I am just not sure what a 'good' adapter is.

I need to get 2 - XLR female to rca female adapters  and  2 - 1/4" male to rca female adapters...

would these from guitar center be fine?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_american_recorder_technologies_xlr_female_to_rca_female_adapter?full_sku=339513%2e377

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_american_recorder_technologies_14_male_to_rca_female_adapter?full_sku=339508%2e377

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 09:19:08 AM »
For your budget, you should stick to high performance style Radio Shack or Guitar Center cables.  The differences you hear with higher quality cables is only heard when you have the recording and playback system to hear them. 

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »
For your budget, you should stick to high performance style Radio Shack or Guitar Center cables.  The differences you hear with higher quality cables is only heard when you have the recording and playback system to hear them. 

T

does radioshack have their own "high performance" cable brand or something?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 10:17:02 AM »
I had a quick question, and i guess different people have different opinions on the subject, but...

Say i am recording a show through the board, and i am using some regular old mini 1/8" male to 2 rca male out of my preamp into the board, say something like this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6334111&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08053&id=1077625917379

or say i buy some more expensive $70 dollar mini to rca cable that is obviously of higher quality, at least build wise, am i really going to be able to hear any difference?

Im just saying because i am about to buy some cable and adapters so i can start doing soundboard recordings when i get the change, and i really am pretty low on money at this point (i'm a student), if i am not putting tons of wear and tear on the cable, would using a cheaper cable really make any difference compared to a 'better' cable?

thanks.

Like others have said here already. I think you need to make sure your using good cable like mogami or star quad. I think you need to make sure your using good connectors. A good well made well soldered cable can last a life time. Do I think you need to spend $70 to get one Hell no. I think you should be able to get something made for you for $40 max. I would stay away from Hosa brand stuff only because of the molded ends I dont recommend any cable with a molded end because you simply cant fix it. You must replace the connector or throw out the cable. I dont like it when people make products that are disposable. I believe all electronics should be fixable or serviceable in some way. There are tones of people on here that make good cables. Chris Shepard makes some good cables Nickspicks I believe makes or sells some good cables. I always recommend when ever possible that you support the T.S vendors. Because we dont make a lot of $$$ from the users here and its nice to get the support from our comunity.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »

T

does radioshack have their own "high performance" cable brand or something?

Rat Shack used to carry "Gold Standard" cables.  They've all been replced with crappy Monsters...

This cable look appropriate for your use and budget:
http://tinyurl.com/2xsxqx

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:39:21 PM »
good cables are one of the cheapest, and easiest upgrades a taper can make to his rig; I used to use Canare cables, now I use Audio Magic Hyperconductor cables, and there is no comparison to my ears, the Canares were adequate and inexpensive, but muddy, while the Hyperconductors are three times more they are smaller diameter and super clean sounding

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:15:13 PM »
Hosa makes various cables not all of them utilize molded ends.

Try Markertek for good quality cables without the esoteric price tag.

They have plenty made with Canare Star Quad or Mogami cable and those represent a great performance/$$ ratio.

In reality the hum of the board is going to cover up virtually anything a cable would make a difference for.  The big boys with all the quiet gear properly powered and set aren't usually hading out patches. Name a club that isn't sharing power with a dimmer switch somewhere.

It's a logarithmic progression in this hobby.  Get good, not crap and you'll be fine.  The next step usually involves a Significant investment for increasingly smaller and smaller returns.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com