Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA4061 > MT24/96 Possible???  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Hman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
DPA4061 > MT24/96 Possible???
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »
At the Boards-forum I asked some questions about putting some DPA4061s mics straight into my Microtrack 24/96, and if it will function alright. These are my answers so far:

I did some research, and found this on the M-Audio-site; It's about a dongle for the 1/8" mic-input:

"The MicroTrack 10dB Pad is a specially designed attenuator for the 1/8” microphone input on the MicroTrack 24/96—or any device with similar output impedance and phantom power characteristics. It reduces the output of a connected electret condenser microphone by approximately 10dB, which protects the input stage of the MicroTrack 24/96 from becoming overloaded and distorting when recording high-SPL sources. The in-line pad attenuates the audio signal from the mic while passing unaltered the 5V supply needed to power the internal preamp of electret condenser microphones."

Does this mean if I use my new DPA4061s, and run them straight into the 1/8" the mics will overload?? The 1/8" already gives 5v power to the mics, so can't believe they will overload. Or am I missing something here??

Need HELP.. Do I need this dongle for my new DPA4061s??

ANSWER:
You can get 5vdc power from either the battery box or via the M-Audio dongle. 

The other issues to  consider: 1) hooking it up - the mic cable terminations must match that of the battery box, dongle, or mic-in on the recorder.  2) matching the input sensitivity of the recorder (via whatever input you are using) to the output of the mics with the SPL's expected during recording in mind.  How hot a signal can the recorder accept via whatever input you choose to use?  Do you need the 10db pad (with those mics at that SPL level) to lower the level and reduce the chance of overloading the preamp or will it force you to use more preamp gain and thus introduce more noise? I dunno. I don't have a Microtrack.  A test, search of the Microtrack threads or if not answered by a search, a post in one of those threads should get you closer to an answer.  The mic powering part of the question is answered, now its a Microtrack input question.  I hope that helps.

-- So I still got some things going here. Question is:
Can I run my DPA4061s straight into my MT (with a custom Microdot-1/8"-cable), getting the mics on their max. SPL and not get any distortion??

Can anyone give me an answer on this question?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com