Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Raising Levels of Amplified and Unamplified  (Read 1601 times)

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Raising Levels of Amplified and Unamplified
« on: January 08, 2008, 01:01:36 PM »
In the process of wrapping up the last Nickel Creek show.  The whole show was amplified except for the very last song where they performed completely unplugged.  What seems to be the norm on raisng the levels of the unamplified portion to be as loud as the amplified portion?  Should I raise the entire show by x db and let it go, or raise the unamplified portion up to the level of the amped portion?

Thanks,
Greg
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Raising Levels of Amplified and Unamplified
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »
When dealing with these situations, I often like to raise the unamplified portion, yet still maintain some (but not all) dynamic range.  During listening, I just don't find it natural to hear an unamplified song at the same level as the amplified tracks - not to mention raising the volume on an unamplified track also raises the noise along with the signal.

I usually use a volume envelope to fade in the volume increase, keep the volume increase level during the song, and then fade it back down after the song's over (in time to not get blown out by the applause).  How much?  I usually just do it by ear, so it's quiet relative to the amplified portions, but still listenable without turning up the volume on playback.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com