Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA-Sankin-Neveton?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline ironbut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DPA-Sankin-Neveton?
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:25:59 AM »
I'm in the market for a next level mic (I've been using AT 853 cards-hypers) and I want a stealth omni. I don't record super loud shows (jazz, bluegrass, classical) but I don't want to have to carry a lot of extra gear (a small pre is fine but I need to choose the mics first). I've heard that the DPA 4060 can be kinda peaky up top and while I'm sure I could eq this kind of thing in post, I'm a purist and try to avoid even the best plug in if I can find a way to do without it. I freely admit that I prefer a detailed, lively sound as opposed to ruler flat response. So, since one tapers lively is another ones edgy, I'm looking for a general description of the "character" of these omni's and any others that are in the under $1500 a pair range. I still have a couple of months of saving the cash so promising omni's on the horizon are fair game.
Thanks in advance

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA-Sankin-Neveton?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:12:14 AM »
I'm in the market for a next level mic (I've been using AT 853 cards-hypers) and I want a stealth omni. I don't record super loud shows (jazz, bluegrass, classical) but I don't want to have to carry a lot of extra gear (a small pre is fine but I need to choose the mics first). I've heard that the DPA 4060 can be kinda peaky up top and while I'm sure I could eq this kind of thing in post, I'm a purist and try to avoid even the best plug in if I can find a way to do without it. I freely admit that I prefer a detailed, lively sound as opposed to ruler flat response. So, since one tapers lively is another ones edgy, I'm looking for a general description of the "character" of these omni's and any others that are in the under $1500 a pair range. I still have a couple of months of saving the cash so promising omni's on the horizon are fair game.
Thanks in advance

I have not tried Sanken, but my preference is Nevaton (MKE400) over DPA406x.  The DPA may be slightly more detailed, but there is something in the high end that I find "grating" to listen to.  This is probably personal taste, but at least one other person has this complaint about the DPAs.  Can it be EQ'ed out or it intrinsic in the mic sound?  I'd love to fix it, because the DPA sound really good otherwise.

I've got many great Nevaton and a few DPA samples on my website, Soundmann.com.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:50:23 AM »
In this category I would also consider the Sennheiser MKE 2 and MKE Platinum.

Very small and very high quality.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:49:35 AM »
nevaton rulez man...str8 up

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
nevaton rulez man...str8 up

word

;D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:41:13 PM »
In this category I would also consider the Sennheiser MKE 2 and MKE Platinum.

Very small and very high quality.

The Senns are good.  Good detail, clear sound.  But not quite as "natural" or "realistic" sounding as DPA or the Nevation.  When you hear a great mic, the realism just jumps out and grabs you.  Instead of hearing the music, you start to hear annoying details, like a slight buzz in the PA speaker, or a cash register in the back of the pub.  You're listening in the basement and suddenly you hear a jet aircraft overhead.  Stuff like that.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Regarding the overwhelming details thing, I kinda like that to a certain degree. It can be distracting if it's all the time, but a little really puts me back there (if you know what I mean). I use a program from iZotope called RX that's billed as a restoration package. With a little practice, you can remove any noise that you don't want. I was able to remove my cough with my cards on my glasses. The sound totally obscured the music (it was a quiet jazz set) and RX removed that entire bit, sampled the sections before and after and replaced it with what it thought the bit that was removed would have sounded like.
Sorry for getting OT but I'm pretty giddy when it comes to magic.
BTW, has anyone reterminated the Neveton 400's? Maybe it's just the contrast between the size of the element with the XLR's but they look huge in the pic's. I mean, it's just an XLR right?
I didn't realize that the MKE 2/Platinum was that small. I'll do some searches on those for sure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com