Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nicama 11.5 ft boom pole for a low-footprint tall stand  (Read 1946 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Nicama 11.5 ft boom pole for a low-footprint tall stand
« on: January 04, 2023, 08:24:03 PM »
I have a choral festival to record in a couple weeks where I'll have a clamp setup in the pit with my 099b and short boom arm, and a second setup on stage with a spaced omni pair. That stage setup will need to be very low-footprint, at the edge of the stage and directly behind the conductor podium. Clamping is not an option there, and neither is putting a stand in the pit as there will be a second set of choral risers there.

I was considering getting a second 099b to put on my Impact back light stand base but it doesn't really go as high as I need it to. I really would like to get close to the height of my 1004BAC.

After looking at lots of extensions and booms, I came across this, and it looks like it might be a good option for a tall stand on the backlight stand base. It's around the same price as an 099b but much taller. 3 kg load capacity is plenty for a pair of mics. The only thing unclear is the threading on the bottom cap section. It might be 5/8", which would be great. I'm going to order it and will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/Nicama-Professional-Handheld-Microphones-Lightweight/dp/B076HSY5VK

I didn't forget about keeping that small backlight base glued to the floor, especially with a pair of mics up high. I'll be using the Galaxy Audio LifeSaver. Last night I loaded 40 lbs of sand into it, and there's room for more if I wanted to. I have another 10 lb sandbag I can add if this isn't overkill enough!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Nicama 11.5 ft boom pole for a low-footprint tall stand
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 10:45:56 PM »
1/4" thread at the bottom allows you to attach it to other photography devices.

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 10:54:14 PM »
Damn, that is a nice pole! I saw a Speed Sounds video on YouTube where the crazy guy was testing the Rode NTG-8 long shotgun with a 36' boom pole ;D!
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:34:27 AM »
1/4" thread at the bottom allows you to attach it to other photography devices.

Thanks - I think that is referring to the threaded hole in the bottom cap. I'm wondering about the threads on the bottom section of the pole itself, accessible after the cap is removed.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 07:27:42 PM »
The pole arrived today. It feels more solid than I expected given its price. The collars lock securely and do not slip, there is very little if any flex at full extension, and the best part... the hole in the bottom cap is a 3/8" thread, not a 1/4" as they state! Slap it on a stud and you're ready to rock.

As for the larger threading that holds the cap in to the bottom tube, it's 1/2" diameter according to my calipers, so I'm assuming 1/2"-28 although I don't have anything of that size and pitch to check.

The top 3/8" connector is removable, presumably to help run a mic cable through the rod. The threading holding that top cap on appears to be the same as the bottom. The cap with 3/8" male stud is one piece of machined aluminum.

Maiden voyage will be next Thursday. Here's a picture, extended as far as my basement ceiling would allow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 07:29:15 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 09:09:49 AM »
That's very nice.  Excellent height option.  ..as long as no one tries to use the foam grip as hand-hold.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com