Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Options for transferring 32k DAT  (Read 2715 times)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Options for transferring 32k DAT
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
I have a few old DATs that were analog masters transferred at 32k to DAT.  I'm wondering what is the best way to transfer these to cd/flac.  I do not have a digital soundcard, and I'm not going to install one in my PC since I'm going to replace it within the next year. 

I have a JB3, but not sure if it will support a digital transfer from a 32k source. 

I also have a Marantz standalone cd burner that I'd have to get fixed, and I think that would convert the 32 k source on the fly. 

And I have a MD home deck recorder that is full digital in/out.  I think that would convert on the fly as well.  Would it still be considered lossy transferring digitally from 32k DAT>MD>JB3/CD?  I guess anything transferred digitally to MD would be considered lossy. . .

Thanks as always. . .
Dave
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Options for transferring 32k DAT
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:18:56 AM »
If you have no decent resampler or PC with good digital inputs you can just go the analog route?
It is 32KHz anyway so no HiFi?

Offline symon

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 12:02:11 PM »
I think going through the MD could possibly be the worst option - because it would resamople to ATRAC (which is considered lossy) - unless you have a more recent MD which can record in WAV.
As I understand it, you should be able to use the JB3 to get from DAT to PC.

Or you could get an external soundcard - which is what I have.

kskreider

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:53:47 PM »
I just did a couple that a noobie taper accidentally did and the JB3 locked onto the 32k signal via optical.

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:58:01 PM »
cool, will try the JB3!  thanks for the info. . .
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:28:55 PM »
I have a few old DATs that were analog masters transferred at 32k to DAT.  I'm wondering what is the best way to transfer these to cd/flac.  I do not have a digital soundcard, and I'm not going to install one in my PC since I'm going to replace it within the next year. 

I have a JB3, but not sure if it will support a digital transfer from a 32k source. 

I also have a Marantz standalone cd burner that I'd have to get fixed, and I think that would convert the 32 k source on the fly. 

And I have a MD home deck recorder that is full digital in/out.  I think that would convert on the fly as well.  Would it still be considered lossy transferring digitally from 32k DAT>MD>JB3/CD?  I guess anything transferred digitally to MD would be considered lossy. . .

Thanks as always. . .
Dave

Standalone burner.  I had some panic shows like this.  I transfered the via soundcard and they ran fast.  The only way I could get them to play right was to transfer them to my Sony CDRW-33 standalone.  Worked like a charm
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:15:04 AM »
In a lot of cases, your best option is to go analog. However it doesn't sound like you have a decent soundcard, so I'm not sure I would attempt this route. If you only have one or two tapes, you might consider asking somebody with a good soundcard and a DAT player to hook you up and transfer these for you. The fact is they are 32K, so going the analog route isn't going to kill you.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:50:08 AM »
Use the JB3 for the transfer and convert the 32khz to 44.1 in the software of your choice...

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 10:13:56 AM »
Yep, it seems like the JB3 is handling the 32k sources no problem.  Now if my M1 would only play nice with LP tapes. . .    ::)
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com