Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mod question...  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
mod question...
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:27:45 AM »
Does anyone have any experience removing smt parts and replacing them with leaded components?  If so, I would be interested in hearing how you went about doing so.  The mini-me I am working on has all SMT components, and I would like to replace the majority of the smt capacitors with blackgates/rubycon caps to get rid of some of the grunge I hear from the unit.  Thanks for the help.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: mod question...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 07:34:16 PM »
Just get the leads nice and short. Give the pads some solder and the leads for the caps. Then solder them on and you will be fine.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: mod question...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:49:10 PM »
There are some obvious and maybe not so obvious advantages for a manufacturers to use SM components. I've been reading about how surface mount bypass capacitors are making a huge improvement in 5v digital logic circuits, because the "leads" are so short. The leads are virtually non-existent.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com