Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is this battery overkill?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Is this battery overkill?
« on: August 19, 2005, 12:35:05 AM »
I just grabbed a pair of 9.6v, 3000ma batts thanks to Karl. I'm wanting to power my AD-20 adn PS-2, both of which run off of a 9v charge.  Wondering if a single battery is sufficient (and can be rigged up) or if I need both.  Is both overkill for a normal show?  I've read the other threads re. remote power with this gear but don't really see anything conclusive. I'm also pretty crap with math, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Blane
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is this battery overkill?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:19:47 AM »
i can't really answer your question as to overkill or not, but i do know some people run a ad20 and jb3
or ua5 and jb3 off one 5400 9v
so you could run the ad20 and the ps2 at the same time--the question is for how long?
once you know that then you can see if you need one or both
so imo the best bet is to set up with 1 battery and do a test recording in your house
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 10:39:24 AM »
I think I'll give it a shot.  In terms of wiring, it says that they need to be connected in parallel. Now for someone who last studied anything related to electics 15 years ago, does this mean I go:

BATTERY----------PS-2 Plug-------AD-20 Plug]

or

BATTERY---------PS-2 Plug
           l
           l----------AD-20 Plug

Sorry for stupid questions.  i'm better at using the gear than building it!

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:07:10 AM »
you want option b -- the positive from the battery should be split so it runs to both the positive for the PS2's plug and the positive for the ad20's plug, ditto for the negative. 

A quick google search for 9 volt alkaline battery suggests that a standard 9 volt battery has around 550 mah of power.  Thus, a single 3000 mah pack would run your ad20/jb3 combo for almost 3 times as long as a pair of internal 9 volt batteries. 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 11:22:44 AM »
you want option b -- the positive from the battery should be split so it runs to both the positive for the PS2's plug and the positive for the ad20's plug, ditto for the negative. 

A quick google search for 9 volt alkaline battery suggests that a standard 9 volt battery has around 550 mah of power.  Thus, a single 3000 mah pack would run your ad20/jb3 combo for almost 3 times as long as a pair of internal 9 volt batteries. 

so one would do the trick easy then
i got 5 hrs on one standard 9v and my ad20
assuming the ps2 is around the same off the 9v dvd/rc battery you should be able to run approx 13+hrs each or 7hrs together
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 11:34:29 AM »
You're pretty much right.  Only variable is that ps2 runtimes are mic dependent.  When used with hungry mics like mbho 603a's, a ps2 internal battery can last as little as 2 hours.

Best bet is to wire up the entire setup, set it to record the stereo and see when the battery dies. 

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »
but doesn't consumption also vary based on spl's in the room and whatnot? so many variables, that's what's kinda wierding me out.  I guess it's safe to assume that 1 batt will work for a 2 hour show though.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 11:52:43 AM »
but doesn't consumption also vary based on spl's in the room and whatnot? so many variables, that's what's kinda wierding me out.  I guess it's safe to assume that 1 batt will work for a 2 hour show though.

Unitmonster -- not necessarily, Bottom line, if you can get 2 hours out of internal batteries (2x 500 mah) under real world conditions, a 3000 mah  battery pack should provide you with over 4 hours without problem.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »
awesome.  guess I just have to get the stuff wired up without killing myself now. ::)

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 01:03:32 PM »
final thought, you should add a fuse in-line with the positive side of the battery so that a short in the wiring harness won't cause the battery/harness to melt.  Only caution is that when you plug the 1/8" mini plugs into the ps2/ad20, the plugs will short while being plugged in (which, if live/hot will cause the fuse to blow) -- so, put a connector downstream of the fuse so you can a) plug in the harness to the ps2/ad20 and then b) plug the harness into the battery -- this will also be useful so you can use harness with each of the 2 batteries you bought.

darrin

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
+T for the guidance!  I'll be taking a trip to ratshack and hopfully putting all of this in order.

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 05:00:01 PM »
i always carried 2 X 3000 mAh 9v packs when i ran PS2>AD20, just to be safe. 

FWIW, at NWSS 2004, i carried 6 of them and ran for the whole festival without a recharge.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »
yeah, I'll probably keep both going especially since I'm not short on space in my little gear bag (see pic). The only thing I need to make it a perfect fit is a right angle optical cable.  REALLY gotta find one of those.

Running a test right now on battery life.  At 1:45 right now and no problems, but I expect it'll take me well into the evening before both batts run out.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 06:03:11 PM »

Offline willndmb

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 07:08:38 PM »
yeah, I'll probably keep both going especially since I'm not short on space in my little gear bag (see pic). The only thing I need to make it a perfect fit is a right angle optical cable.  REALLY gotta find one of those.

Running a test right now on battery life.  At 1:45 right now and no problems, but I expect it'll take me well into the evening before both batts run out.

i have been looking at optical cable threads, and topped one yesterday in the cable forum--there seems to be the exact same optical cable as the SP version for $10 with right angles
i am going to grab it based on some reviews of others here

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 09:18:18 PM »
Just ordered one.  Was hesitating because it seemed that it was taking a long time for people to get them, but I haven't seen any others around here in Canada, so I just went for it.  Hopefully I'm as streamlined as I'm gonna be, at least till the microtracker hits the market   :-\

edit to add:  almost 7 hours of run time on the batts now and they still seem to be going strong.  Cool!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 12:47:33 AM by Unitmonster »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com