Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Actives Project  (Read 101001 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: The AKG Actives Project
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2006, 02:27:18 PM »
any reason that the active cables (mk46) for the 460 series cannot be used as a basic prototype for these 480 series active cables? although these cables are rare they are out there in tapers' hands, including mine

Here's Karl's response to that question, Chris:

"By the way, the C480 cannot be used with the MK46 cable as there is no bias output on the preamp. So you need to use the C460 in connection with the cable."

That relates to that extra ring in the mic amplifier that's on the 460 but not the 480.  There's a contact on the cable that apparently hits this ring to provide the bias output.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2006, 02:31:34 PM »
The question is, is there an active element (FET) in the extension tube or not.  I'm guessing no, in which case it may not drive more than the length of the tube (due to capacitance of the wire between the mic element and the body that contains the FET).  I don't know for sure though, 'cause I haven't seen the tube.

I think that thegreatgumbo was working on getting the VR schematics from AKG, which should answer this question. Any word on that yet?

No schematic exists for the VR61 or VR62.  Here's the response I got from Karl:

"For the VR61 and 62 there are no schematics available as these extension tubes are strictly passive and contain a direct connection between the two terminals."

That is interesting! So nothing is needed to separate a capsule from the body by up to 3ft (the length of the VR62 tube) except the correctly machined terminations? Sounds like there is no reason one couldn't canabilize a pair of tubes and make some short cables. I wonder what the maximum distance would be?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2006, 02:36:49 PM »
The question is, is there an active element (FET) in the extension tube or not.  I'm guessing no, in which case it may not drive more than the length of the tube (due to capacitance of the wire between the mic element and the body that contains the FET).  I don't know for sure though, 'cause I haven't seen the tube.

I think that thegreatgumbo was working on getting the VR schematics from AKG, which should answer this question. Any word on that yet?

No schematic exists for the VR61 or VR62.  Here's the response I got from Karl:

"For the VR61 and 62 there are no schematics available as these extension tubes are strictly passive and contain a direct connection between the two terminals."

That is interesting! So nothing is needed to separate a capsule from the body by up to 3ft (the length of the VR62 tube) except the correctly machined terminations? Sounds like there is no reason one couldn't canabilize a pair of tubes and make some short cables. I wonder what the maximum distance would be?

Or make the appropriate connectors in a machine shop.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »
 ;)  ;D
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2006, 03:36:44 PM »

Anyone know how long a cable Marc Nutter tried?  He apparently had some serious hum using a good shielded cable.  Would assume he wasn't trying a cable longer than what most of us would want - ?

-Heikki
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2006, 03:53:56 PM »
I PM'd him, but never heard back. Might be worth giving him a call. My guess is that he didn't provide a ground (apparently this is the only function of the metal tube he cut) which caused the hum. But who knows?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »
my akg 460's are at the machine shop right now getting the heads for the active cables made. the ones that were made for the gefells are sweeeeet. i'm sure these will be nice too.

nick, mike and myself are really looking forward to getting this project complete, but we need some help.

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2006, 12:52:58 PM »
How can we help?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2006, 01:47:33 PM »
How can we help?

as someone wrote earlier on this thread, the secret is in the cables & heads, not the box.

we need someone from here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=59577.msg787072#msg787072

to let us inspect the cables and heads of thier setup. a couple on the list live within road trip distance of nick, mike and myself. we could arrange for pre-paid shipping too, and supply a backup set of mics (akg, geffell, mk4>nbox)

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2006, 02:26:09 PM »
How can we help?

as someone wrote earlier on this thread, the secret is in the cables & heads, not the box.

we need someone from here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=59577.msg787072#msg787072

to let us inspect the cables and heads of thier setup. a couple on the list live within road trip distance of nick, mike and myself. we could arrange for pre-paid shipping too, and supply a backup set of mics (akg, geffell, mk4>nbox)

aight, where do you all live??? Chris I know you via Lotus, albeit just by computer, so as an AKG 480 owner and a very lucky AKG460>mk46>ck1x owner, I will loan you all my 460 set up for use in the design, this shit is in mint condition and I want it back in that condition too, that is all I ask

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »
you da man grider :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2006, 02:42:28 PM »
aight, where do you all live??? Chris I know you via Lotus, albeit just by computer, so as an AKG 480 owner and a very lucky AKG460>mk46>ck1x owner, I will loan you all my 460 set up for use in the design, this shit is in mint condition and I want it back in that condition too, that is all I ask

I belive Chris is referring to those folks that have the JKLabs AKG setup.

Nice offer though!  +T

Offline grider

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2006, 02:49:56 PM »
well, no actually, I thought people were planning to manufacture a cable that will run from the cap to the body, as is the case with the mk46 active cable, no?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »
well, no actually, I thought people were planning to manufacture a cable that will run from the cap to the body, as is the case with the mk46 active cable, no?

yes and no.  The majority of the work by several different people seems to be of the cap > cable > box variety.  The cap > cable > body is decidedly a longer term goal and/or project.  Also bear in mind that the basis for (dare I say) all of the AKG active projects and attempts are based first and foremost on the ck6x line of caps. 

Offline grider

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »
well don't most people who have ck1x caps already have the mk46 cable, I mean one is useless without the other after all; but regardless, it would seem there would be huge interest in an active cable machined at one end to fit onto the ck61/62/63 cap and also onto the 480 body, but only  limited interest in an actual battery box/preamp type set up, look at how few of the JK Labs boxes are in use today; I guess it just seems logical for this project to produce a cable that can be put into instant and wide use, such as a cable that connects the ck63 cap to the 480 body, who wouldn't want that cable? and its exactly what connects my ck1x cap to my 460 body, I guess I thought that is what people wanted and why this thread started, my bad

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com