Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new DPA 4018 supercardioid  (Read 30522 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new DPA 4018 hypercard
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »
So the MMP-E active cable is designed for use with the MMP-C pre and the all the MMC caps? Even the 2011's? I've been on the fence about the ST2011C set since January. These active cables and hyper caps make it more attractive. Although the 4018's will probably be around $1300 per cap. Maybe a 2018 twin D hyper? :P

the MMP-E *is* a preamp. You don't meed the MMP-C preamp because the MMP-E is already a preamp.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
So the MMP-E active cable is designed for use with the MMP-C pre and the all the MMC caps? Even the 2011's? I've been on the fence about the ST2011C set since January. These active cables and hyper caps make it more attractive. Although the 4018's will probably be around $1300 per cap. Maybe a 2018 twin D hyper? :P

the MMP-E *is* a preamp. You don't meed the MMP-C preamp because the MMP-E is already a preamp.

So a pair of MMC 40xx caps and MMP-ER cables will probably reach the cost of the 402x series, but at least give the user the ability to switch caps. Any hints on the cost of the cable?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:52:23 AM by ts »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
So a pair of MMC 40xx caps and MMP-ER cables will probably reach the cost of the 402x series, but at least give the user the ability to switch caps. Any hints on the cost of the cable?

I've only seen one place, a Swiss audio company, that has prices listed so far (http://www.gotham.ch/de/index.php?page=2092).  Assuming those are close to accurate, and the franc/dollar ratios are the same as with other DPA stuff they sell, it looks like these may come in around $400 or $415 each.  Which would make them similar, or maybe even a bit cheaper (~ $100 or $125 less), than the 402x.

Offline ts

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »

I've only seen one place, a Swiss audio company, that has prices listed so far (http://www.gotham.ch/de/index.php?page=2092).  Assuming those are close to accurate, and the franc/dollar ratios are the same as with other DPA stuff they sell, it looks like these may come in around $400 or $415 each.  Which would make them similar, or maybe even a bit cheaper (~ $100 or $125 less), than the 402x.

Oh well. I refuse to spend more than 1500 on mics for this hobby. Looks like I'll have to revisit the 2011c option.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
Looks like I'll have to revisit the 2011c option.

I don't think the 2011c setup would be bad at all.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
I'd like to hear this new mic.  I dig negative polarity rear lobes.. assuming the off-axis pattern and response is smooth so it doesn't sound oddly nasil or pinched, and I don't expect a DPA 4018 would.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
Oh well. I refuse to spend more than 1500 on mics for this hobby. Looks like I'll have to revisit the 2011c option.
The first set of mics I ran where well over the $1500 mark and my first owned set was over 2x this mark - this was over ten years ago though

I guess it's more than a hobby to me :)

$1600 - 1700 for these mics is a great deal - DPA is really stepping up to the plate

I wish Schoeps would come out with a similar Extension Preamp design as the MMP-E
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:48:00 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ts

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »
The first set of mics I ran where well over the $1500 mark and my first owned set was over 2x this mark - this was over ten years ago though

I guess it's more than a hobby to me :)

$1600 - 1700 for these mics is a great deal - DPA is really stepping up to the plate

I wish Schoeps would come out with a similar Extension Preamp design as the MMP-E

Agree, but just don't know much about the short interference tube dual card cap deal. Only found one recording with 20ll's.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »
Small update from DPA: retail price for the active cables is $410 each.  Still no word on the 4018 caps...

Looks like I'll have to revisit the 2011c option.

I don't think the 2011c setup would be bad at all.

I have a pair of the 2006c and I am very happy with them.  That doesn't say much about the 2011, of course, but I would be willing to give them a try on the basis of my 2006 experience. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 03:13:05 PM »
Small update from DPA: retail price for the active cables is $410 each.  Still no word on the 4018 caps...

I'd expect a pair of 4018 caps to be in the (usd) price range of $2500.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
I might have to break my no-hypers rule for these

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
Modify that into a no off sounding hyper rule. 

That way it will still apply, with this new prospective member hopefully amongst a small handful of exceptions.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline scb

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »
i always said "if I need hypers, I'm too far away"

but I want to try these

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »
if I need hypers, I'm too far away

That remains true.

I use hypers up close mostly for two reasons (other than an occasional spot): modified Blumlien, where it adds enough forward bias that it works far more often than crossed 8's do; and L/C/R three main mic setups where I need the additional side rejection of the pattern to have all three mics angled at reasonable forward angles, otherwise the outside pair would need to be pointing fully sideways or even backwards.  For both of those things my Gefells and ADK TLs in hyper work great and sound very good.

I don't use them because I'm far away, that's just a crutch supporting broken location for me.  Might help limp home but the broken leg is still there.  :P

But that's just my MO, I don't mean to offend bar tapers who use them to reject the yap!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »
I use hypers mainly because they sound good. Doesn't matter how far or close I am to the sound source ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com