Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Symphony sound reinforcement  (Read 1500 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Symphony sound reinforcement
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
I don't get to the symphony often, but recently checked out the local group and noticed they suspend large diaphragm mics overhead instead of the small diaphragm ones I have seen with other groups/locations. I tried to grab a picture, but it didn't come out well on my phone. However it looks like they use 2 Neumann U87s angled down on the sides and what appears to be a Soundfield ST350 suspended in the middle. Furthur out in the audience they hang a single SD condenser (maybe a Schoeps CCM2). I tried to ask what they were using and how, but nobody had any clue. I guess I could see using the Neumanns but the Soundfield seemed like a particular odd choice.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Symphony sound reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »
When microphones are suspended from the ceiling of a hall, it can be extremely difficult and even dangerous to adjust their positioning or to swap different ones in and out. So it makes some sense to use a microphone with characteristics that can be adjusted from a remote location, and the SoundField is about as adjustable as it gets.

A SoundField recording may never sound quite as good as the ideal combination of two top-quality microphones. But in this type of situation, you would probably have no opportunity to find out what that ideal combination would be.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com