Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best mics to record non-amplified classical music with old instruments  (Read 1560 times)

Offline SpokenMagicSpells

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
Hi!

Next Monday (Jul/12) I'll be in a Classical Music Concert. My first one! I was invited by a friend that likes this kind of music, and he knows that I record shows. I guess he has second intentions with this invite... :-)

The music style is Barroc, and the concert will be totally acoustic (no amplification at all), with old musical instruments (musical instruments of the epoch...):

BACH   JOHANN BERNHARD (1676-1749)
Suite for strings and basso continuo in E   minor

Giovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710-1736)
Concerto for   flute, strings and basso continuo in G major

Wilhelm   Friedemann Bach (1710-1784)
Concerto for harpsichord, strings and   basso continuo in F minor

interval

PIETRO LOCATELLI (1695-1764)
Concerto grosso   in E flat major, Opus 7, "Il Pianto d` Arianna "

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH (1676-1749)
Suite   for flute, strings and basso continuo n.2 in B minor, BWV 1067

7 violins
3 violas
1 cello
1 bass
1 flute
1 bassoon
1 clavecin
1 organ

I've never gone in this concert room, but my friend estimates that we will be at 30 meters from the stage, in the balcony (mezzanino), 2nd. row.

My recorder is the R09-HR, and I ALWAYS record in 24bits/96KHz.

Can you, please, give me some hints about which mics should I use in this situation? My mics are:

CA-14 cardioids
CA-14 omnis
CAFS omnis
AT853 cardioids

Thanks.
Regards.
Hey DC++ hub owners: SHN is dying... Go FLAC!

[ RIG: CA-11 (cards) || CA-14 (cards & omnis) || CAFS-OMNI || AT853 (cards & omnis) > ST-9100 > EDIROL R09-HR (24bit/96KHz always!) ]

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
If recording from the audience, get as close as humanly possible. Use your best sounding omnis
1st choice: Sit in the front row.
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^

2nd choice: If you have no choice but to sit in the balcony, see if you can hang or tape spaced omnis directly against the front of the balcony lip, so that they are effectivey boundary mounted facing the stage (not knowing the venue I'd say a ~3' spacing might be a good place to start).

3rd choice: Make a HRTF style 'from your seat perspective' recording.  It will sound distant, but natural.  Possibly boost the treble on playback for a clearer natural sounding timbre. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:18:31 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com