Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need to clamp mics to video tripod and extend up 6ft....help.  (Read 2056 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Need to clamp mics to video tripod and extend up 6ft....help.
« on: September 18, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »
I can easily make something but what is available to:

1)clamp a thin to very thin extension arm to raise my DPA 4061s up above my video tripod.Maybe 6ft.I looked on B&H but generic search terms aren't getting anything for me.I need very low proflile but up to 6ft.Obviously the DPA are very tiny so i just need something that will work for this purpose not full size mics.

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Need to clamp mics to video tripod and extend up 6ft....help.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
Might be larger than you're looking for but this, coupled with a clamp, is my favorite recording accessory. I think there are some shorter, lighter duty ones out there as well. Good luck with the search.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/Manfrotto_099B_3_Section_Extension_Pole_35.html
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »
Doodee is correct that the manfrotto extension pole + short extension bar + a bogen/manfrotto superclamp will do the trick very nicely.. for any mics.  I've put up to 6 mics on that bar on a table clamp with no issues.

But with 4061s that is really overkill.  Search some threads here for gutbucket's various 4061 related tips.  Easiest thing to use is probably a section of tv antenna to extend vertically and then something to extend horizontally (possibly as simple as a ruler, or more TV antenna).

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
Hmm...tv antenna is a good idea.

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
Well, sometimes you need a bit of bulk if you're outdoors in a decent wind.  Or the back of a moving vehicle.  The basic question is do you want your mics to follow your camcorder on said tripod?  Or do you want the mics to be independent?  You could mash a cheap stereo bar stripped down between the camcorder and the plate.  But you don't want to put a lot of weight on that.  i.e. Boom arm would be too much.  Even a gooseneck might be a bit much.  Not the only option, but if you're cheap or just want to use available gear in your current inventory.

Do you even need a tripod?  For low realestate situations I'm finding that putting the camcorder on a tabletop tripod, mounted to a headphone mic stand clamp, mounted onto a mic stand is the quicker and lighter option on the go.  Sort of a poor mans monopod.  Not ideal for all situations like if you need the fluidhead pan and tripod leveling.  But serviceable for having all your gear while still being a bit lazy.  But not ideal, if you need to fiddle a lot, you will definitely need shock mounts for your mics.  Even mics that might not otherwise need them.

Kind of like this:

(not my usual rig)

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:36:05 AM »
I don't want the mics to follow the camera they need to be independent.I am not doing run and gun but filming events from a fixed position with lots of pan and zoom.I have others doing the run and gun footage. So far i tried the tv antenna and its almost perfect,just need to extend out at a right angle from tripod. This might also work for stxxxth situations being so thin.

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
I'd probably just try to find some wooden dowel at Home Depot and duct tape the extension.  I also have some cut off steel golf club shafts in the basement that I've found creative uses for in the past.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
It sounds like you could just use a mic stand and a tripod.  Any reason that you're trying to avoid that?  A lot of the events I try to record happen outdoors and I'd never want to get by with just an antennae, even if I had small and light mics.  I can't even manage to move those old rabbit ears across the room without incidentally stepping on them or something.  And even with a mic stand they sway too much in the wind for my tastes.  Even if I extend up about 60% or less. 

As I envision some sort of double decker tripod, 1st floor camcorder, 2nd floor mics.  Perhaps all those coffee mugs I've gotten over the years and some duct tape might make that config work.  As feet for the legs of the second tripod.  Taped to the legs of the first tripod.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
Well the tv antenna IS too wobbly.Ill have to use a proper setup i guess.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:11 PM »
Since the DPAs have such a small mass a couple of sections of 1/4" all thread and a coupling nut should do the trick and 1/4" would allow you to use various adapters to mount a small t-bar at the top.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com