Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2D / Recording LOUD Metal/ HC bands  (Read 3699 times)

Offline dickshoulders

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam DR2D / Recording LOUD Metal/ HC bands
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »
Hello Everyone!
Excited to join the forum; here's my first post  ;D

I just ordered the Tascam DR2D and plan on using it to capture the live performances of mostly VERY loud local Metal/ hardcore bands.
I do not require to be stealth at all, and would like to get some good recordings to eventually release via web.

My question is what mics and setup can be recommended?
Battery Box? Card? Omni? Binaural? Decent mics for someone on a budget?

Looking forward to hearing what y'all think!

Cheers!
DS
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:29:47 PM by dickshoulders »

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Tascam DR2D / Recording LOUD Metal/ HC bands
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
For loud shows...The cheapest answer is a Church Audio Battery Box and Church Cardiod C11's or C14's for a little more.

You would have an nice inexpensive beginner rig

Read over Hoppedup's DIY Microphone mount thread too...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
^^
Posted while I was typing..

I'd also recommend looking into some low voltage powered mics which are typically less costly and also require less costly gear to power them. For loud music you will want to use a 9V battery box to power them properly.  Many here get good results from Chris Church's mics for concert recording which offer a good price/performance ratio and have appropriate sensitivity for recording loud music.  Chris is a member here who builds gear.  Look into a set of his CA-14 cardioids with his Ugly-BB (battery box) which will shouldn't set you back too much.  I think you can get a package deal with both omnis and cardioid versions of the C-14 if you want to play around with mic techniques, but start with the cardioids.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dickshoulders

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »
Should also mention... crowd noise will not be an issue. And, I'll be setting up on stage and will be able to position mikes anywhere for optimal signal... don't know if this plays into my query  :P

Offline dickshoulders

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
Great advice so far!
Anyone have any experience with the deck that I just purchased? Any opinions/ suggestions to get the most out of it?

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
Should also mention... crowd noise will not be an issue. And, I'll be setting up on stage and will be able to position mikes anywhere for optimal signal... don't know if this plays into my query  :P

In that case, you could use the DR-2d as a 4-track and do a soundboard/on-stage mix.
To accomplish this, set the mics up on stage, so they can pick up all the loud stuff that doesn't need to go through the PA (such as loud amps, possibly cymbals). Hook up the mics/battery box to the mic-in of the Tascam. (You may need an attenuator for this.) In addition to that, record a board feed through the line-in. That will take care of the vocals. Depending on where the console is located, you might have to run the mics through the snake.
I've done similar stuff with good results.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
If you are setting up on stage...I would consider Omni microphones...here is a link to my first experiment of Two Channel with Omni's on stage...turned out pretty good except vocals are not upfront in the mix...

http://www.archive.org/details/bs2011-11-10.FLAC16

moon-pix I've done what you suggest with phantom powered microphones...is there anything special about running PIP or 9v BBox Microphones like the CA14's thru the snake?

Offline hardrain62

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I'm going to throw my support in for Sound Professionals. The CMC-8 made by Audio Technica is a great pair of mics. Very clean and natural-sounding. Get it with the low sensitivity modification for more headroom for extremely loud shows. Couple those mics with the Sound Professionals SPSB-10 battery box and you'll be in business.

Mics: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-8

Battery box: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSB-10
Taping since 2002.

Current Stealth: AT943 > Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-10 > Sony PCM A10

Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR-100, Sony PCM-M10, RĂ˜DE NT5, Studio Projects C4, Roland R-05, iRiver h320 (Modified with Rockbox Firmware), Sony MZ-NF810CK Minidisc, Sony MZ-R70 Minidisc, Sound Professionals SP-CMC-1, Sound Professionals SP-EMC1/SP-BMC-12 binaural mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »
With a un-balanced mic rig like this and access to both a soundboard feed, I'd run the SBD feed back to the stage (through the snake if available) and keep the recorder near the mics and battery box.  Even if using a preamp with more ability to drive such a long cable run to the recorder instead of a batterybox (otherwise probably not necessary due to the high sound levels expected in the room) the long unbalanced run from the preamp back to the recorder would be suseptible to noise pickup.

One weakness of the DR2d is some potential for overload at high input signal levels.  That shouldn't be a problem using low sensitivity mics powered with a battery box, and many of us have use the line-input on the DR2d for soundboard output recordings without problems, but on the outside chance that you do overload the recorder's inputs you can add some signal attenuators at the recorder's inputs to fix that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dickshoulders

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
Gutbucket, you think that there is a better recorder out there in the same price range as the DR2D?
I just ordered it, so I'm definitely not stuck with it...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:11:22 PM by dickshoulders »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »
Nothing that does 4 channels.

Many here would currently choose the Sony M10 over it for two channels only, but the M10 is more expensive. Yet the DR2d has some nice features besides recording 4 inputs which the Sony doesn't.  The Sony can take a hotter input signal without overload, but I doubt that will be a problem for you.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
With a un-balanced mic rig like this and access to both a soundboard feed, I'd run the SBD feed back to the stage (through the snake if available) and keep the recorder near the mics and battery box.  Even if using a preamp with more ability to drive such a long cable run to the recorder instead of a batterybox (otherwise probably not necessary due to the high sound levels expected in the room) the long unbalanced run from the preamp back to the recorder would be suseptible to noise pickup.

This is the reason I love TS...Thanks Gutbucket

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »
moon-pix I've done what you suggest with phantom powered microphones...is there anything special about running PIP or 9v BBox Microphones like the CA14's thru the snake?

Good point. Like you, I've only done this with phantom powered mics. Gutbucket's advice is spot on, though. That's the way it should be done.

dickshoulders, what size of venue(s) are we talking about here?

Offline dickshoulders

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »
Hey moon-pix.

We are talking very small venues... total underground shows. Some venues are warehouse spaces.
BTW: I dig your band.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:22:17 PM by dickshoulders »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com