Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Important moments  (Read 2036 times)

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
Important moments
« on: May 02, 2006, 01:42:42 AM »
 So...my daughter is having her first music recital at school this week. I thought it would be fun to go and record her and maybe share copies with the class. (Actually I talked to her teacher and I might sell copies for a minimal fee and donate all proceeds to the PTA).

I just wanted to get some opinions on how I can make sure I get a good sound since this is so important to me (and my daughter is pretty excited about this too), and since she is only in Kindergarten once! The performance is in her school cafateria, and as long as I get there early enough, I should be able to set up close to the stage. My question is...because of the room size (rectangular shape with high ceilings) and I don't know how amplified it will be...which capsules should I use, and why? If it is not amplified with atleast one mic on the stage...would I be better off (as long as the school is ok with it) placing the mics at the lip of the stage, or on the stage?  Or what would be an ideal location?(distance from stage, height of mic stand) You can see in my signature what I will be working with, so my other question would be, should I go with the cards, or should I use the omnis? What type of config should I run? Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to preserve this and add it her childhood mementos (and give me memories when I am old and senile).

I just thought others might have done this in the past or tape in similar situations at some point, and I would like opinions on this. Any help would be appreciated, and  +T in advance for any advice!

Thanks,
    - Shawn

For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Re: Important moments
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 03:18:09 AM »
Oh that's great man! 

Yes, I too have done the deed.  I recorded my daughter's kindergarten recital too, then burned copies for the entire class, as well as the school.  SOOOO many parents were grateful as their kids were blown away to have their own CD.  Everybody video tapes, but nobody makes audio cds.  To a kid, that's like being a ROCK STAR!

http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=154247

I've done it twice.  The first time I borrowed 50' cables (yeh...seriously) and set up omni's, split (20') at the back of the room on 10' stands, angled to the back of the kids.  Ran mics>pre/adc>dat.  There was no real need for much amplification, but between the songs, it was loud due to applause. 

Second time I did it, I set up cards, DIN, on 8" stand, placed about 6feet in front of the kids, between them and the audience.  This was by far the better choice as it was kind of like pulling a stage tape...less audience.  The piano was a little "off-center" sounding because it was, well, off-center in placement, but hell...they were 5 years old. 

Whatever you do, make sure to tape down ALL your cable.  Between the kids that are singing, and ALL THEIR CRAZY, HYPHEE, BROTHERS AND SISTERS running amok like rabid coyotes, somebody is bound to catch a shoe.

Also, see this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52875.msg842784#msg842784

Have fun!
Mike
Socks are overrated.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 03:29:10 AM »
Just re-read your post.

I'd definitely put your mics on the stage, maybe 6"-12" high so as not to obscure the vision of other parents.  You will need to leave your mics there for the whole show- probably (which I guess would include other classes?), but they will be safe from the other issues.  Do DIN or XY, it won't be noticeably different since it will likely turn in to 1/3 of the class singing, 1/3 of the class yelling, 1/6 of the class singing something else, and 1/6 not doing anything but wiggling fingers into various holes in their bodies.  You could start the recording when you set up, and let it run until she's done, then edit.  Just remember, you're not going to get noticeably different tapes as a result of the subtle variation of angle and placement that you might normall get.  They're 5.

Send her to school with a spindle!  She'll be among the coolest kindertoten there!
Socks are overrated.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:36:57 AM »
Do DIN or XY, it won't be noticeably different since it will likely turn in to 1/3 of the class singing, 1/3 of the class yelling, 1/6 of the class singing something else, and 1/6 not doing anything but wiggling fingers into various holes in their bodies. 

Thats funny! +t for constructive help on this thread.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline TheWildKindness

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archivist Records
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »
Oh that's great man! 

Yes, I too have done the deed.  I recorded my daughter's kindergarten recital too, then burned copies for the entire class, as well as the school.  SOOOO many parents were grateful as their kids were blown away to have their own CD.  Everybody video tapes, but nobody makes audio cds.  To a kid, that's like being a ROCK STAR!

I've done it twice.  The first time I borrowed 50' cables (yeh...seriously) and set up omni's, split (20') at the back of the room on 10' stands, angled to the back of the kids.  Ran mics>pre/adc>dat.  There was no real need for much amplification, but between the songs, it was loud due to applause. 

Second time I did it, I set up cards, DIN, on 8" stand, placed about 6feet in front of the kids, between them and the audience.  This was by far the better choice as it was kind of like pulling a stage tape...less audience.  The piano was a little "off-center" sounding because it was, well, off-center in placement, but hell...they were 5 years old. 

Whatever you do, make sure to tape down ALL your cable.  Between the kids that are singing, and ALL THEIR CRAZY, HYPHEE, BROTHERS AND SISTERS running amok like rabid coyotes, somebody is bound to catch a shoe.

Have fun!
Mike

Thanks Mike. +T to you and another in 12! I know what you mean about the kids feeling like stars. My daughter is very excited and has been telling people/kids, "My Daddy is going to record me and my class signing and we are going to raise money for the PTA!" She has been more interested in the whole recording thing lately and always asks me about the bands that I record when she sees me editing on the computer. One of my faves is during a White Stripes show that I took her to, during the recording she is so excited that you can hear her yell/scream a few times during the performance, and when we listen to it now she starts to giggle.

Sounds like the cards are the best choice then, and yeah..I'll be sure to tape everything down. Good call. I'm not sure if they will have piano, but her teacher will be playing guitar.  :P

Just re-read your post.

I'd definitely put your mics on the stage, maybe 6"-12" high so as not to obscure the vision of other parents.  You will need to leave your mics there for the whole show- probably (which I guess would include other classes?), but they will be safe from the other issues.  Do DIN or XY, it won't be noticeably different since it will likely turn in to 1/3 of the class singing, 1/3 of the class yelling, 1/6 of the class singing something else, and 1/6 not doing anything but wiggling fingers into various holes in their bodies.  You could start the recording when you set up, and let it run until she's done, then edit.  Just remember, you're not going to get noticeably different tapes as a result of the subtle variation of angle and placement that you might normally get.  They're 5.

Send her to school with a spindle!  She'll be among the coolest kindertoten there!

Ok, thanks for that info as well. If I can, I will definetly try and get the mics set up on stage..atleast at the lip. Although I'm just not sure how much room will be on the stage. I don't have the best mic stand (that will be one of my next purchases when I can afford it), right now I just use an "On Stage" stand that gives me a max of about 7 1/2' - 8'.
 Another one of my concerns, after talking to her teacher about this and telling her that I think it could be a good way to make a few dollars for the PTA, which she was very excited about, is that I wasn't sure if the other classes/parents would like copies of their childs performance as well, since it would seem strange to come in and record just my daughters class doing there 5 - 10 minute performance and then tearing down without disturbing anyone.
 So I emailed the principal to ask her opinion on the matter, but haven't heard back yet, so I'm not sure what to do about recording the whole thing. I guess I might just go ahead and record everything and see what kind of response I get from the parents after the show.

Thanks again for the help. It is appreciated!
For Sale: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 & 20 GB JB3 - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127307.0

Stealth: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3

Open: (BM2p+ mod) UA-5 > JB3

Extras: Sharp MD-DR480

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com