Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD661 MKIII Line In 2  (Read 4276 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Marantz PMD661 MKIII Line In 2
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
I purchased this recorder to digitize some albums I have and upon first test I'm finding I have to turn the gain knobs almost all the way up to get decent levels ( 10 and banging on 6 ) using the continuous gain.  Using ALC the recorder is blinking red.  How can I get more levels using the continuous mode or do I have to increase levels in post?  I'd rather not use ALC.  I don't see how or if I can or am attenuating the level coming in.  Music is coming out of my receiver direct to line in 2.

Thanks for any help.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: Marantz PMD661 MKIII Line In 2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:52:49 PM »
I purchased this recorder to digitize some albums I have and upon first test I'm finding I have to turn the gain knobs almost all the way up to get decent levels ( 10 and banging on 6 ) using the continuous gain.  Using ALC the recorder is blinking red.  How can I get more levels using the continuous mode or do I have to increase levels in post?  I'd rather not use ALC.  I don't see how or if I can or am attenuating the level coming in.  Music is coming out of my receiver direct to line in 2.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe set to -24 instead of -18? -18 is the right setting for everything.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »

Thanks for any help.
You need to use that receiver line out connection to go to the recorder, you can't record directly from the turntable outputs. There needs to be a phono preamp, that is what is built in to the "phono" inputs on your receiver. Not only does it provide gain, it also provides necessary equalization.

https://www.audioadvice.com/content/what-is-a-phono-preamp/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:30:05 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »

Thanks for any help.
You need to use that receiver line out connection to go to the recorder, you can't record directly from the turntable outputs. There needs to be a phono preamp, that is what is built in to the "phono" inputs on your receiver. Not only does it provide gain, it also provides necessary equalization.

I am using the receiver line out.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »
D'oh, sorry. By "Line In 2" I thought you meant a setting of 2, not realizing that is what the deck's 1/8" input is labelled.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »

Thanks for any help.

wow i never knew about the EQ

thanks for the info

was that the reasoning behind "emphasis" on early digital?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 12:12:21 AM »
> was that the reasoning behind "emphasis" on early digital?

No, it was just a way to squeeze ~6 dB more signal-to-noise performance out of primitive (by today's standards) A/D converters. Similar techniques had long been used for similar reasons in various analog technologies, particularly FM radio broadcasting and analog tape recording.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:00:32 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com