Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Batt box vs. Phantom Power  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Diamond_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
Batt box vs. Phantom Power
« on: January 15, 2005, 02:34:46 PM »
So I get the dynamic range and SPL advantages of phantom power, but I'm not clear on one aspect of it

With for instance, the SPSB-7 batt box gives me bass rolloff and level control options. But if I use the following setup I lose the bass rolloff, but still get gain control with the AD-20.

CMC-2 --> Denecke PS-2 --> AD-20 --> NJB3

Also, if it's a really loud environment (where AD-20 would make the signal too hot), and I'm content to use the JB3 A/D converter, all I would need is an XLR --> mini plug converter to go from PS-2 into the JB3, right? But then I lose bass rolloff And level control.

So I guess I'm asking if there really is an advantage to go from batt box to phantom power in a simple rig such as this. Thanks!
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Batt box vs. Phantom Power
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:51:28 PM »
The advantage will be a higher SPL rate, making your recordings sound more detailed and helping to prevent overloads.   The good news is the at831 which is in the cmc-2 is the mic which is most versitile in my opinion in terms of preventing overloads ect with a battery box.  However I would see a distinct advantage in going with phantom power.  If the signal gets to hott you can run an attenuator to trim it a bit.  Also if you decide to go line into your jb3 you can control the level in the jb3 to an extent, so your safe there.  Other than that you have everything correct.
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com