Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Backpack that will hold a 3373 internally?  (Read 2495 times)

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Backpack that will hold a 3373 internally?
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:46:29 AM »
I am in the market for a backpack.
It must hold my stand, a Bogen 3373 internally.
Therefore, it needs to be about 19 inches tall in the center, but I don't want it to be a big heavy bag.
Does anyone have a bag that you use for your gear that also holds a 3373?

Now, to start dreaming....it would also be great if it:
- has good shoulder straps and waist belt that you could wear all day without fatique
- was waterproof
- has many interior pockets for gear
- does not look like an expensive camera bag

So far the kata r-102 looks like a good candidate but it is a little short, perhaps it will flex enough to squeeze the stand in there?
The LowePro bags seem a little on the heavy side.

I would really prefer it to NOT be a camera bag as all the padding takes up extra space and adds weight.
Another thing I don't like about a camera type bag is that when you open it, all your gear is out there to be seen and exposed to the elements.
That is why my 'dream bag' would have MANY zippered pockets lining the complete inside on the bag.

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
Re: Backpack that will hold a 3373 internally?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:31:30 AM »
While searching the web for the 'perfect' bag, I came across this bag.

It doesn't fit the bill for me as it:
- looks expensive
- is heavier than what I want
- won't fit my 3373

But, it has a really cool feature that I could use.
It has a hip sack that you can detach from the main bag and swivel to the front.
This would be great because I do 'on the go' field work.
I could have my 744 and mic ready to go in the hip sack and have my extra multi-track stuff and accessories in the main bag.
This way, as I'm walking around, and hear something I want to record, just turn the bag, pull out the mic, turn on and record.

Check out these links:
http://www.slrtoday.com/articles/130/1/Think-Tank-Photos-New-Rotation360-SLR-Camera-Backpack/Page1.html
http://www.rotation360.com/
http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2007/05/review-think-tank-rotation-360-backpack.html
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/12245/backpack_camera_bag/

How cool is that?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:10:36 AM »
I have an eastpack book bag.  It's just the regular size one.  It will hold a 3373 but I have trimmed the legs and the stand has to fit at an angle.  Eastpack and jansport both make a bag that is slightly thinner and slightly taller than the standard book bag that will fit the stand without the wierd angle.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=22&categoryId=4&subCategoryId=1&subCategory2Id=0

i use this mountainsmith, though not the recycled version.  The two straps on the front go to the bottom of the bag and they hold the 3373 damn nicely (albiet on the outside)  i have only lost the stand out of this set up once and that was due to loser error and probally 5 too many redstripes.  I ride my motorcycle with this bag on and the stand stays secure.

mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:02:24 PM »
That Rotation pack looks slick!

Is the ability to carry the 3373 internally an absolute, firm requirement?  Or is it acceptable to carry the 3373 externally, as long as it's easy and comfortable?  I'm not sure carrying the 3373 internally will work well, as it will likely go in the largest cavity, usually the main cavity, which is typically right against your back, which means you'll probably feel the stand pressing uncomfortably into your back as you walk around.  Not ideal, I suspect.  And as I think about it, carrying the stand internally likely means bigger, heavier bag.  If the concern is visibility of the stand, and suggesting to others there's expensive audio / camera gear in the bag, you could get a bag for the stand (like one from a kids fold-up camping chair) and still carry it externally, with no one being the wiser.

At any rate...

My RakGear backpack is the only good bag I've found for schlepping gear above and beyond the typical car > venue.  Pics here.  Note the stand in the outside pocket, secured by straps.  It's not actually a 3373, as I put the wrong stand in for the pics.  The 3373 will extend another 3" above the Avenger stand pictured.  Not very much higher, in other words.  Even fully loaded (and I used to carry a LOT of stuff when running 4-ch), this bag was comfortable.

It meets, or comes close to meeting, most of your requirements:

• It has wide, padded shoulder straps and waist chest belt.
  • It can be made quite water resistant (though not waterproof, due to the zippers) by zapping it with treatment.
  • Lots of interior pockets for gear.
  • Does not look like an expensive camera bag.
  • Carries a 3373 easily and comfortably (though not internally)
  • Don't know what qualifies as "light", or "big and heavy", but the bag solo (with internal shelving) is 4 lbs.

I doubt they're available new any more, but they pop up occasionally in the YS.  And if you only need it temporarily - for a specific trip, or project, or some such - you're welcome to borrow mine.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the offer Brian, that is really kind of you but I do want to get my own bag.
I have thought about putting the stand in a bag on the outside as you have mentioned but I really want to get it on the inside of the bag if possible.  I go to 3rd world countries and 'bad neighborhoods' in the US.  So, I don't want people to wonder at all.
The more it looks like a 'normal' backpack, the better.
BTW, can you tell me more about your Avenger stand?
You say it folds up 3 inches shorter than the 3373?  How tall does it go? Model number?
Thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »
I have thought about putting the stand in a bag on the outside as you have mentioned but I really want to get it on the inside of the bag if possible.  I go to 3rd world countries and 'bad neighborhoods' in the US.  So, I don't want people to wonder at all.
The more it looks like a 'normal' backpack, the better.

I'm very particular about, well...lots of things, and often can't find stuff that fits all my requirements.  Good luck!  If you find something that suits your purposes, please let us all know.

BTW, can you tell me more about your Avenger stand?
You say it folds up 3 inches shorter than the 3373?  How tall does it go? Model number?

It's my on-stage stand only.  Super small footprint, folds up to ~15.5", but only goes up to ~50.5".  I think it's the Avenger A615B, but am not positive since it doesn't have a model # on it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »
I go to 3rd world countries and 'bad neighborhoods' in the US.  So, I don't want people to wonder at all.

When I go to 'bad' neighborhoods, I carry my stand like a club. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »
If you are looking for a smaller stand when closed, check out APIC as they will make custom stands. I believe I have an old monopod of Brian's that is a five section that is about 9' when extended but is only 22" when collapsed. APIC can be reached @ 800-600-1147 and can customize each end of a monopod or the top of a tripod with any size/pitch fitting you need.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:00:03 AM by flipp »

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 10:36:44 AM »
I go to 3rd world countries and 'bad neighborhoods' in the US.  So, I don't want people to wonder at all.

When I go to 'bad' neighborhoods, I carry my stand like a club. 

same here!
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com