Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Semi-Newbie needs a recomendation on mics.  (Read 12955 times)

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
Re:Semi-Newbie needs a recomendation on mics.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 10:22:04 PM »
I'd run the AD-20, but I'd really like to have a UA-5, it's just not really stealthable from what I've gathered.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline King Crimson

• Deez Nutz
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 08:05:56 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=14280

I second this.  For less than $150 shipped you get matched pair, t-bar, shock mounts and case.  Remeber the $500 you also need to buy a stand, cables, a bag and whatever else you may need that I'm forgetting.
I'll have a bloody mary, a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwhich.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 05:05:50 PM »
ok, lets look at this from a broad viewpoint.

You already have a jb3.  You still need mics, power, pre, and an adc for under $500 and stealthable.

I got an answer for you.

MICS
SP-CMC-2 (at831)  = $120

POWER
SP-SPSB-1 w/ bass roll-off = $80

PRE/ADC
denecke AD-20 (inbox) = $200 used

You can use the extra $100 for extras.  You might need attenuators for the AD-20.  Because the AD-20 sends a hot signal, you might need attenuators to take the signal down a bit so your recorder doesn't distort, but this depends on what you are recording.

Also, for open taping, people have mentioned stands, tbars and the like.

You'd need a cable to run from the battery box to the AD-20, and a cable to run AD-20 to jb3.

That is really the only solution I can think of given your parameters.

good luck!

~schwill

Offline wsphansam

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 12:10:23 AM »
I may drop the stealth thing and just concentrate on open for starting out. I've been going back and forth all week trying to figure out what to do, stealth or open starting out.

Team Texas

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2004, 08:40:53 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=14280

I second this.  For less than $150 shipped you get matched pair, t-bar, shock mounts and case.  Remeber the $500 you also need to buy a stand, cables, a bag and whatever else you may need that I'm forgetting.

I 3rd it

Offline RossHendry

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2004, 05:13:44 PM »
Where can you get these mics for that price?  Lowest I've seen is ~$260.  Problem is, I'll need to get them shipped over to the UK as well.  

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004, 01:20:50 PM »
I 4th the superlux.  In fact, i like the way they sound over the octava mc012's.

i got my superlux's off of ebay for $160 and they came with shock mounts, t bar, windscreens, extra rubber bands for the shock mounts, the 1/4 > 5/8 adapter for stands (i think thats the size), the cardioid caps, the hyper cardioid caps, and the omni caps.

i run superlux > DIY digimod UA-5 > njb3.

you can hear samples of them here  There's some in the 2003 section at the bottom, and in the 2004 section as well.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline wsphansam

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2004, 04:43:08 PM »
Wow that's a great deal on the superlux's. I just purchased an AD-20 and will use it for now until I can save up for the UA-5. I'll be checking out the superlux mics for sure and probably buy the SP-CMC-2 mics for sure. I also will have to gather more knowledge on attenuators. What types of situations would I need them for?

Team Texas

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 11:51:46 AM »
I use:
Studio Projects C4 mics ---> PS2 ---> AD20 ---> JB3
and it sounds great.

You can get the C4's now for $319 from here... http://www.micguys.com/studio_project_mics/spmics_c4.htm
They come with everything you'll need: shock mounts, omin & cardiod caps, windscreens, hard case, and they are a matched pair.

I have heard that the Behringer B5's are a clone of the C4's and sound just as good. Though I truely have no idea if this is true. You'll need to do a little research to find out. You can get the B5's for $159 at http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=21014&Category=Microphones and they come with all the afformentioned gear, plus 2 XLR cables. Sounds like a very good deal to me.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 11:53:24 AM by Sharky »

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2004, 12:38:11 PM »
You'll possibly need attenuation when recording very loud sources, as the AD20 sends a pretty hot signal. Also good to have a couple of attenuators for a board patch...don't know much about the JB3, but I know many board's outputs will overload a D8 in a heartbeat. They help "turn down" the signal.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2004, 12:56:26 PM »
what is the difference between an Attenuator and the built-in -10dB switch on my C4?

Offline RossHendry

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 12:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the link to the Behringers, Sharky.  Looks like they might be a good place to start on this hobby.  I'm right in thinking I would then need a phantom power supply for these mics?  Sorry if this has been gone over before, I have read the newbie guide in the archive forum but there's only so many acronyms I can take in before my brain starts turning to mush!  

Did a quick bit of searching on the webbernet and unless I'm mistaken, this is the type of thing I would need?

Link

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 03:22:40 PM »
If you're thinking about stealth with the possibility of open, I've got AT831, batt box, flexible t-bar, etc. for sale.  Looking at my next set of mics right now, so I'll give you a good deal.

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=13833

LMK,
Ryan
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2004, 04:18:10 PM »
Ross,

I have the DENECKE PS2 phantom power. I got it with the AD20 on Ebay as a package deal. Im sure you can find one used on ebay for cheap. As for the one you linked, it should work fine. Give Sound Professionals a call if your not sure what to buy. Those guys are a very helpful bunch. Great customer service. 1-800-213-3021 They are very knowlegable of the JB3, so they should be able to answere/recommend a phontom power in your price range.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=DEN-PS2&type=store

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2004, 04:21:43 PM »
Ross,

If those B5's are anythink like my C4's you will be very happy. I just recorded my first show this weekend and was very satisfied with the results. I cant imagine a recoding being much better. Your recording is only going to be as godd as the soundman mixes the show, so I really dont see any reason to break the bank on mics, especially when you are just starting out like us.

Please keep us informed on how the B5's work out if you end up going with them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com