Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4060's (len's) to pmd671 (doug's)  (Read 1957 times)

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
4060's (len's) to pmd671 (doug's)
« on: October 27, 2005, 02:09:18 AM »
I'm a little confused about the nomenclature here. Are my 2 (HEB's from Len) 4060's that end in ONE connect a mini-xlr not microdot, correct?

Second, the pmd671 is on the way (woo hoo!!!). Now, how do I go heb's into the stock 671's xlr's?  Len says on his site:

A flexible, shielded 1.6mm cable exits the base of each microphone. The cables from the two microphones are bound into a single cable roughly twelve inches from the microphones. The cable runs for six feet and terminates in a high reliability, US-made multi-pin locking mini-XLR plug; the mini-XLR plug connects to the battery box. Also connected to the multi-pin plug (in a "Y" configuration) is a two foot cable terminating in a gold-plated, stereo, 1/8-inch (3.5 mm) mini-phone plug. Other connectors can be supplied on request, including high quality right-angle 1/8-inch (3.5mm), XLR, RCA and 1/4-inch phone plugs. [mine don't have the 1/8" plug. only the xlr, cuz they (used to) go directly into the mic2496 as it states below.]

The HEBs can be configured to be powered directly from our Mic2496 dual microphone pre-amp/A-to-D converter. The two DPA capsules are terminated in a single mini-XLR plug; no battery box is required.

By special order, we can provide the DPA4061s (or DPA4060s) with connectorized cables, so that they can be used individually, outside of the High-End Binaural system. A wide variety of connectors are available -- please contact us for details.

I have emailed Len, and am waiting his reply, but thought I'd pose the Q here. [insert obligatory "Well, you'll wait a long time" comment here]  ::)

Yeah, baby we wanna use them outside of the "High End Binaural system!!!" I am STOKED for the 671 coming my way!!! I have no IDEA how I talked the wife into this purchase!! She see's me sitting at the computer, pulling out my Credit Card, and non-chalantly say's: "Whatcha buyin?" I told her, and she wanted to know the price. DRAT! say's I to myself....thinking I'm totally busted...then I mumble mumble the price and she says: "Come again?" I say out LOUD how much it was KNOWING the hammer's about to fall. And lo and behold she says: "And you complain when I spend 30 bucks on lotion from Garden Botanika!" But, f**k me wanda...she didn't say no!!!! Woo hoo!!!

Misc note: Doug DOES say that the fully modded 671 really should rival the V3.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
Re: 4060's (len's) to pmd671 (doug's)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 02:19:07 AM »
Yes, you are correct, the mini XLR is not a microdot.  If you want to feed off the phantom power of a 671, you'll need to kick the voltage down, as the DPAs run on 9v, not the 48v that is standard for phantom.  If you had microdots, you could just buy the DPA microdot->XLR adapters.  There's probably plans somewhere around here for dropping 48v down to 9v. 

That said--you could also power the 4060s with a separate battery box and feed that into the 671 without phantom using either the RCA line-in or the XLRs. 

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 09:11:27 AM »
Just got this from Len:

Hi Andrew,

Nice to hear from you!

> I have recently purchased a Marantz pmd671 and
> would like to get my microdot heb's into its xlr's.
> How may this be achieved? A Y cable into the pmd's
> 2 xlr's? Or do I have to send the dpa's in to have them re-fitted to xlr?

You have two choices.  If your HEBs have the factory microdot connectors, you can add two DPA DAD6001 adapters ($93 each).  Those will let the DPA 4060-series mics to be powered from 48V Phantom Power.

An alternative is to add a adapter cable ($65) and one of our battery boxes ($59 for the flat response battery box or $89 for the switchable bass roll-off filter box), in which case you wouldn't use the PMD-671's 48V Phantom Power at all.

Feel free to ask more questions!

My (wrong) Question answered. Now, I have to go back and correct my email to him. They end in one mini-xlr not microdot.

Sure seems like he's working on the interpersonal skills, guys...

Another question: Do battery boxes color the sound in any way?
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 11:52:11 AM »
some custom unbalanced cables should get you in easily enough, or, re-terminate the mics to another standard. this is easily enough done.

a battery box should not color anything, but just add power to the mics.

Esplain Lucy, for the 'tard. I followed you as far as "custom" then lost ya. Unbalanced cables?? Reterminating, I understand, though, "easily" is not a word I understand is very descriptive of how tiny the wires are for these things. Course, sending them back to dpa DOES make it easy....But me and soldering are not friends.

Moke, you thinking about the Tascam HDps2 or whatever it is?
www.tenorrichards.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com