Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 124801 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Zoom F8 - Part 2
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »
The first thread is out to 30 pages.

Zoom F8 thread part 1
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172643.0

In depth review of Zoom F8 by tonedeaf
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175264.0

Product page from Zoom with marketing speak and links to additional info
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/handy-recorder/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder

You can download the Zoom F8 Firmware v2.00 here: https://zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder#downloads

Features at a glance -

•8-channel/10-track field audio recorder/mixer
 •8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors
 •Compact and lightweight aluminum chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (without batteries)
 •High quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain, less than -127 dBu EIN, and +4 dB line inputs
 •Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording as well as 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
 •Accurate Time Code (0.2 ppm) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
 •Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack with Hirose connector, or 12V AC adapter (AA’s and DC battery pack not included)
 •Automatic switching of power source from DC to batteries at user-defined voltage levels
 •Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
 •Phantom power (+48V/+24V) on every input
 •Advanced onboard limiters for input and output
 •High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
 •Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
 •Compatible with Zoom microphone capsules; optional extender cable enables remote positioning
 •Dual mini-XLR (TA3) balanced Main Outs plus ⅛" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
 •Dedicated headphone output (100mW) with front panel volume control
 •2.4" full-color backlit LCD with monochrome mode
 •Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings
 •Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
 •Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats
 •Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
 •Built-in slate mic/slate tone with front panel switch
 •Built-in tripod mount; camera mount adapter also included
 •Use as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
 •Free Zoom F8 Control App for iOS allows wireless remote control, file renaming, and metadata entry

Firmware 2.0 update

1.   Added Trim Knob option that enables adjusting fader/pan settings with input trim knobs.
2.   Added the function of moving the previously recorded take to the new FALSE TAKE folder.
3.   Expanded Function Shortcuts as well as Shortcut List Menu.
4.   Added the function of selecting alphabet letters for the scene number.
5.   Added Trim Link function for adjusting the input levels of multiple tracks simultaneously.
6.   Added the function of editing track name in Meta data.
7.   Added the function of showing track names on the level meters.
8.   Added the function that enables selecting “Scene_***” for the format of take name.
9.   Added the function of adjusting L/R track volume.
10.   Added SOLO function that enables monitoring signals of specific tracks only during playback.
11.   Added sound report function for exporting CSV format file including recorded take information, etc.
12.   Changed the location of Next Take menu on MENU>REC>Next Take to MENU>META DATA (for next take).
13.   Added the function of applying edits of the selected card to the other card when two SD cards are inserted.
14.   Changed the track order of Poly WAV recorded files from Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8, L, R to L, R, Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8.

You can download the Zoom F8 Firmware v2.00 here: https://zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-f8-multitrack-field-recorder#downloads

Discuss...and please link to recordings done with this new recorder.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:37:32 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
Checking in...
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »
Any retailer have them in stock? I'm on waiting list with Amazon.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »

Here's a recent show I did straight into the internal preamps.  Consider The Source opened for Kung Fu.  CTS sounds boomier because the room was virtually empty when they started.  It filled up as they played to the point where the room was fairly well filled by the time Kung Fu started.

https://archive.org/details/kungfu2015-12-03.mk4_24bit

https://archive.org/details/cts2015-12-03.mk4_24bit

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:52:42 PM »

Here's a recent show I did straight into the internal preamps.  Consider The Source opened for Kung Fu.  CTS sounds boomier because the room was virtually empty when they started.  It filled up as they played to the point where the room was fairly well filled by the time Kung Fu started.

https://archive.org/details/kungfu2015-12-03.mk4_24bit

https://archive.org/details/cts2015-12-03.mk4_24bit

Sounds very sweet! thanks for another F8 Source!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline robtweed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 04:16:07 AM »
I've been trying to get a reliable and reasonable-cost way to have external battery power for my Zoom F8.

I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-Technology/dp/B00GSLRKJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449738157&sr=8-2&keywords=Anker+2nd+Gen+Astro+Pro2

It comes with a cable terminating in a 5.5 X 2.1mm plug for its 12V outlet.  I also have a load of adapter plugs, at least one of which fits in the F8's main 12V DC input.  But I've found it difficult to get the Zoom to reliably work with this.  Either it won't start up at all, or, if it does (after repeated trying), it has a tendency to shut down again, though last weekend I managed to power it through a 4 hour recording session with hardly a dent in the Anker's available power (even with 6 mics, all on phantom power).

Perhaps it's because when the F8 does come up working it's showing the voltage as 11.8V, so maybe it's just a tad on the low side for that DC input to be happy.

If I could find (in the UK) a cable connecting a HiRose 4-pin plug to standard 5.5 X 2.1mm socket, I suspect it might behave more reliably, as it's supposed to support 9 - 16V, but so far I can't find anything like that.

Anyone else found similar problems trying to power the F8?

Mics: DPA 2011C, Line Audio OM1 & CM3, Calrec CM652D, Behringer C-4
Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H4n, Sound Devices USBPre2 + MacBook Air
Mixdown: Audacity, Cubase LE on Mac OS X
Playback: Beresford Caiman II DAC, Naim NAP 100 amp, PMC TB2i speakers

Offline robtweed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 05:12:37 AM »
Here's a trial recording of an amateur big band's rehearsal I did the other day using my Zoom F8 (and to put you all in the Christmas spirit!)

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/robs-music-files/jingle-bells.wav

I used a Tony Faulkner-style phased array with an ORTF pair of DPA 2011C + 2 Line Audio OM1s outliers (67 cm apart).  Vocals were picked up from a PA speaker by a lone Calrec CM652D

Recorded directly into the F8's mic inputs, originally at 192/24.  Mixed down using Audacity to 44/16

Unfortunately the layout of the instruments in the rehearsal room wasn't ideal and I couldn't get an optimal position for recording, but quite pleased as an initial test of the gear.  Really pleased with the F8, and it was the first outing for the DPAs and OM1s

I'm due to record their Christmas concert on Sunday and hoping to get a better positioning for the mics.

Mics: DPA 2011C, Line Audio OM1 & CM3, Calrec CM652D, Behringer C-4
Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H4n, Sound Devices USBPre2 + MacBook Air
Mixdown: Audacity, Cubase LE on Mac OS X
Playback: Beresford Caiman II DAC, Naim NAP 100 amp, PMC TB2i speakers

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
I'm an Android user both phone and tablet. I guess I could pick up a used iPhone or iPad mini off Craiglist or something to utilize the Bluetooth control features.

These are starting to show back up at retailers with estimated ship dates within the next week. B&H shows anticipated ship of Dec 15th. Markertek shows 3-10 days.

I think I'm going to take the plunge.

Going to have to get a new set of rechargable AAs and a new charger. My old ones are all dead and the ex hippie in me hates myself for using alkalines.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
I'm an Android user both phone and tablet. I guess I could pick up a used iPhone or iPad mini off Craiglist or something to utilize the Bluetooth control features.

These are starting to show back up at retailers with estimated ship dates within the next week. B&H shows anticipated ship of Dec 15th. Markertek shows 3-10 days.

I think I'm going to take the plunge.

Going to have to get a new set of rechargable AAs and a new charger. My old ones are all dead and the ex hippie in me hates myself for using alkalines.

I might have mentioned this once but my hearing aids are Bluetooth equipped and the initial app released was the ios app.  Caused me to swith to my iPhone, which i hate comparitively speaking.  Starkey explained that licensing and app development are more involved on the Android end.  They released the post-beta Android version of the same app about a year after the release of the ios version.  Obviously i have no idea if a similar plan and schedule is planned for the F8, but it would make sense.  Now that my service contract has been fulfilled on my iphone, I'm going to hang in with it bc of the zoom interface, but the day the droid app comes out I'm getting the latest Galaxy S phone.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »
Not to take this way off topic BUT Android is an open platform, there should be more difficult licencing with Apple as well as cost. Anyone who can write a program can do Android. I think while more expensive to deal with Apple it does offer higher bang for the buck as a captive audience so it makes sense for a company to invest there IMO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure all the technicalities.  So based on your comment, perhaps the issue wasn't licensing but app development, not sure...i was just conveying something i was told some months ago related to the hearing aid app.  I was also struck by the apparent similarity in timeline for roll out between the Starky app and so far how the Zoom app is moving along.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:40:43 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline lamacchiacosta

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
Here I am with my first hand ot it.

It's small, very small. Also the knobs and buttons are accordingly small, keep that in mind if you have sausage fingers. Is lightweight, of course.
Three ways to feed power: 8 AA batteries, external power supply on a circular connector and 1 external power supply on a Hirose 4 pin connector. Battery level meter on the main screen.
I guess you can have them all connected together at the same time and the machine will recognise which is the better, but I haven't tried because I didn't need to, so I may have just written some idiocy.
Inputs are on the hybrid Neutrik XLR/6.3plug connector. Mic level on XLR; line level (only -10dBV) on plug connector. Automatically selected also during a recording if you plug/unplug for whatever reason.
Outputs are: main OUT on two TA3s and sub OUT on one stereo minijack3.5. One headphone output with loads of volume to drive your cans.
2 SD cards for redundant simultaneous recordings or other options to select from the menu.
Menu is very easy to use.
There is some degree of file naming and metadata and I guess there are better options using the external iOS app but I haven't tried that yet.
The WI-fi electronics are already embedded in the machine and we just need to install a software extension to make it work.
Time Code IN and OUT on 2 separate BNC connectors. Quite stable and reliable Time Code. When the machine is turned off it will drift (Zaxcom does the same, right?) because they saved in internal button battery. So any time the machine is turned on we need to remember to rejam.
Work flawlessly, so far.
RF spray. Yes and please make a test recording before starting your day to check if is interfering with your radiomics. Today I had one set to 606.450Mhz which became unusable once pressed the REC button.
I then did some test and the broadbad RF spray settled and minimize once the whole startup bootstrap is over, so the idling machine is not affecting much. Once the REC button is pushed, the data transfer create a wideband RF spray with some main peaking frequency. Mine are 603.250Mhz, 636.450Mhz, 603.250Mhz, 711.000Mhz. I guess any machine has its own peaking frequency, like the 788T, so please check yours.

File management resemble a bit the Sound Devices one so is quite familiar to all of us.

Sound quality. I cannot say much yet. I recorded dialogue via Line level from my 552 and I am quite happy, sound nice and quiet. They declare 127dBu Equivalent Input noise (120dBu on the H6, the 788T is not declared but I think should be between 128 to 133dBu, the 552 is 126dBu), so I am expecting great quality sound out of that little beast.
A colleague told me he measured a difference of 15dBu between the H6 and the F8 but he didn't tell me, yet, which one is declared wrong.

I think for what it cost is worth having. I would buy a second one if needed.
Knowing the brand I am not expecting any post selling assistance or any customer care. I wrote to them in the past and they usually don't answer.
Also I am not expecting many firware revisions, like our beloved brands, to improve the machine facilities. They are probably already working on the developement of the next recorder which will be out in a year or so, I guess, but that's just my immagination so dont' trust me on that.

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 10:09:02 PM »
Knowing the brand I am not expecting any post selling assistance or any customer care. I wrote to them in the past and they usually don't answer.
Also I am not expecting many firware revisions, like our beloved brands, to improve the machine facilities. They are probably already working on the developement of the next recorder which will be out in a year or so, I guess, but that's just my immagination so dont' trust me on that.

You're now dealing with a new organization in the US. The former distributor has been replaced by Zoom North America (zoom-na.com) and I have had very prompt response to support requests when dealing with the new guys.

And the H6 definitely benefited from a firmware update.

Fran

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »
For what it's worth, the zoom itself has already received a firmware update and the app has as well.  The app had some significant glitches in the initial release, so that update was desperately needed.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 01:26:23 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure all the technicalities.  So based on your comment, perhaps the issue wasn't licensing but app development, not sure...i was just conveying something i was told some months ago related to the hearing aid app.  I was also struck by the apparent similarity in timeline for roll out between the Starky app and so far how the Zoom app is moving along.

I once spoke to an app developer about iStuff vs. Android. iOS apps run on Apple's hardware which is a very limiited number of devices. You can test them all, easily, because there are only a few toys at a time in the Apple walled garden. 

Meanwhile, Android apps have to run on umpty-gazillion devices, from Samsung to weird names you never heard of released only in China. So Android app development is way more complicated and expensive. It's not the licensing fees, it's trying to make things bulletproof for everything that runs Android. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com