Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 124816 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
Hirose is multiple voltages, the regular dc input is only 12v

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2016, 01:54:31 PM »
^ Right and to expound just a bit, zoom assumed the hirose connector would be used for external batteries while the rear 12v would be the input from the wall wart.  Of course for those of us that like to try to destroy our gear the first day we have it, one of the first things i did as an early owner/ tester was connected a battery where zoom wanted me to connect the wall wart.  Not surprisingly, everything worked just fine, but yeah that rear connection is fixed at 12v in for that reason.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #242 on: March 15, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »
^^, ^

Thanks for the explanation.  So it sounds like you could safely run off a battery to the DC input all the time, even though that's not what was intended.  Not to belabor the point, but is there any time where you would want or need to power your F8 with greater than 12V through the hirose?  Maybe powering 8 mics at once with high current consumption, you need the higher voltage for stability?  Or is it just a waste of battery since the power is getting converted through the F8 supply circuits to supply the mics with what they need?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but is there any time where you would want or need to power your F8 with greater than 12V through the hirose?  Maybe powering 8 mics at once with high current consumption, you need the higher voltage for stability?  Or is it just a waste of battery since the power is getting converted through the F8 supply circuits to supply the mics with what they need?

I think this is basically for better flexibility, so that you can use whatever 9-16V battery you might already have. I have successfully run 4 pairs of mics with a 12V battery.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but is there any time where you would want or need to power your F8 with greater than 12V through the hirose?  Maybe powering 8 mics at once with high current consumption, you need the higher voltage for stability?  Or is it just a waste of battery since the power is getting converted through the F8 supply circuits to supply the mics with what they need?

I think this is basically for better flexibility, so that you can use whatever 9-16V battery you might already have. I have successfully run 4 pairs of mics with a 12V battery.

Ah, OK that makes sense.  Thanks.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »

Sebastian, I'm glad to read that you've had success using all eight inputs at once because I have yet to run my F8 that way.  I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

-  Earlier today, I read in another section where someone mentioned the possibility of problems using all of the inputs if you're supplying 9V through the hirose connector.  That's the first I'd heard of that.  Do you have any experience or feedback on this, or have you heard the same thing?

-  You mention above running 8 mics.  Were all the mics being supplied 48v phantom power from the F8? 

Thanks.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »
I have tried both a DVD battery and a tekkeon at 9v through the hirose and I don't recommend either.  The dvd batt lasted about 3 seconds before powering off and the tekkeon made the battery voltage indicator flicker between red and white, not a solid green as you want.

Thanks for the props, you rig does looker super sexy Dustin!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:26:02 PM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2016, 03:05:45 AM »
Sebastian, I'm glad to read that you've had success using all eight inputs at once because I have yet to run my F8 that way.  I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

-  Earlier today, I read in another section where someone mentioned the possibility of problems using all of the inputs if you're supplying 9V through the hirose connector.  That's the first I'd heard of that.  Do you have any experience or feedback on this, or have you heard the same thing?

-  You mention above running 8 mics.  Were all the mics being supplied 48v phantom power from the F8? 

No, the maximum I've run is 4 mics (@ P48) at once plus two line inputs. I powered those using this battery pack (ten 1.2V NiMH rechargeables). This works like a charm.

I currently have 5 phantom-powered mics at my disposal (2x Schoeps MK4 w/ Naiant PFAs, 1x Schoeps CCM8, 2x MBHO 603a/KA200N) and I can conduct a test using those if it is of any help (but I doubt it, see below). I'd just need to see how I can get a 9V battery.

The main problem with 9V batteries is probably that they fall below those 9V quickly when being discharged (as most batteries do). Therefore, you might want to use a battery with a flat discharge curve (e.g. Lithiums) when running 9V. For example, with my 12V NiMH battery pack I have set a cutoff voltage of 9V. That means the 12V pack will go all the way down to 9V. Now imagine a 9V battery that has a similar discharge curve. It'll go down way below 9V - and therefore out of spec for the F8.

stevetoney

« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »
I have tried both a DVD battery and a tekkeon at 9v through the hirose and I don't recommend either.  The dvd batt lasted about 3 seconds before powering off and the tekkeon made the battery voltage indicator flicker between red and white, not a solid green as you want.

Thanks for the props, you rig does looker super sexy Dustin!

I just checked and we can't set the shutdown voltage any lower than 9V with the current firmware.  I didn't realize that about going 9V on a Tekkeon though I think someone else may have mentioned it way back in this forum.  Seems like if Zoom is going to say that it runs from 9V to 16V they should give us a firmware update that allows the shutdown voltage to be set at something lower than 9V, assuming of course the unit can actually run at...say 8.5V or so.

Offline jeansebastienbg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2016, 01:04:54 PM »
Anybody else have "clips" and "clicks" when using the trim knob. I've seen this issue named as "zipper" or stepping noise in this thread. My unit and my friend's unit both have this problem and it's very noticeable. It makes on th fly adjustments of the gain completely unusable. Tonedeaf said that in his test with two schoeps this artifact is a non-issue. On my unit, you can hear it very easily in the headphones and it's definitely recorded. No need to import in a DAW and amplify it, just regular playback in any software. What do you guys think? Both our units are faulty? I will do further tests in the weekend and put the files online.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:05:43 PM by jeansebastienbg »

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »
I haven't noticed any clicks or such and I tend to have pretty "fidgety" fingers on the trim (I adjust my levels a lot). I also do mostly film dialogue so I record in pretty quiet environments, too...

Offline jeansebastienbg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »
Thank's for your input Scorsesefan. I probably have a problem with my Zoom F8. I'm in touch with the manufacturer.

Here's a test with Schoeps CMC6 MK41 in input 1 with phantom power.

https://soundcloud.com/user-472998921/f8-trim-knob-test-1wav
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:44:20 PM by jeansebastienbg »

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #252 on: March 24, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
^^
I hear you Voltronic.  I physically can't haul 50+ lbs of gear, batteries and a mic stand around anymore but I am reluctant to compromise on the pre's and not have the digi-in option.  But that is my problem to deal with and I realize that.

Oh snap!  I just read through 42+ pages about this recorder and I just discovered there is no digi in.  I'm looking away now...
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline HSM3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »
I thought I would let you guys know that I am powering my new F8 with the Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh http://www.amazon.com/Anker-20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Technology-Smartphones/dp/B005NGLTZQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I haven't tested it yet other than plugging in the fantastic cable Ted made for me. I'm a dork and got the wrong tip. Ted had me send the cable back and he put the correct tip on. Fantastic customer service!

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
I thought I would let you guys know that I am powering my new F8 with the Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh http://www.amazon.com/Anker-20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Technology-Smartphones/dp/B005NGLTZQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I haven't tested it yet other than plugging in the fantastic cable Ted made for me. I'm a dork and got the wrong tip. Ted had me send the cable back and he put the correct tip on. Fantastic customer service!
+1. Ran my F8 for about 3 hours with the Anker on a corporate video shoot with no problems.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com