Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 124800 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #330 on: June 01, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
As a potential future buyer of the F8, I'm curious about the tactile difference between the stock and aftermarket knobs.  Just looking at the pictures, I would think the stock knobs would be easier to manipulate and have an idea of where you were just be feel simply because of their shape.

I agree! Since there aren't any markings on the larger aftermarket knobs, they must be a PITA to know where they are on the levels/knobs! id rather deal with the smaller stock knobs, since they at least have a marking on the knob to know where you are at gain-wise on the levels/knobs! Does that make sense?

Long weekend with the f8 finally. Kinda weird doing a festival on my first outing with new gear!

Havent listened to all of my recordings yet. What i did sounded great.

That being said. Im not sold on the f8 at all. Feels like the level meters are about half as responsive as im used to. Several buttons that arent illiminated during use that should be, is the stop button supposed to be illuminated?

While i do have an amzing setup on the inout cables, and bag setup, the 1/4 inputs make it awkward to get in and out of the bag to mess wth AA's at all

I loved having the aa's in there, it saved me a few secs on a set i was running late too. Power up and hit record then mess with batt setup.

My days of carrying so much gear are over. I hauled my whole setup out to Family Groove Company thursday, then half of it sat in the rv the rest of the weekend! I think the only way i could carry 4ch is to switch out my vms for another nbox. Eliminating all the cables, batteries, pfas and everything that comes with that

If i could do it all over again id have two kcy cables instead of normal nbobs. What a pain

Cayman, can you please elaborate on why you didn't like dealing with the NBob KCY's, either in this thread or a PM? Thanks :) Because personally, my NBob's are EASIER to deal with than my Schoeps KCY 250/5, since I can easily connect/disconnect the "Collettes" section of the NBob KCY from the rest of the KCY cable/extension. This makes putting my NBob KCY up or tearing it down much quicker IMO! In fact, I want Nicky to mod my KCY 250/5, to a 250/05, by putting another Binder[Series 712 this time around] connection about 6" or so AFTER the "KCY Junction Box", just like my NBob KCY is! That way I can disconnect/connect the caps/collettes section to the KCY extensions that run to my VMS02IB & 70d 8)

Also, you NEED a nice camera backpack for gear if you're doing 4 channel in one bag/setup IMO! At SCamp in the past, I ran [2] separate rigs, so I never had that much gear in one bag like you did! However, with this EveCase bag, it's NO problem carrying 4 channels worth of stuff in ONE bag 8)
https://www.amazon.com/Evecase-Camera-Laptop-Travel-Backpack/dp/B00WQTLB0G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Also Cayman, if you keep the AAs in your F8 at ALL times, and just power it externally, then you shouldn't have to move the F8 around much! That way the 1/4" cables aren't such a PITA, and you don't have to access the back of the F8 nearly as often! Once my 70d is hooked up with all [4] XLRs to all 4 channels, it stays put, and I just have to SLIGHTLY move it around for new USB batteries, just like your F8 situation! I also leave some AAs in my 70d, just so it saves the date/time and stuff too! So once your cables are all plugged in, you should be good to go and shouldn't need to move your F8 around! That said, just like Rippleish20 said, having to use 1/4" cables for the LINE IN is just silly IMO! I MUCH prefer the locking connectors of XLR's, and I wish the F8 used XLR's for its LINE inputs instead of the non-locking 1/4" connectors!

My white knobs arrived today from Spain. Quick shipping as they were sent on May 24 arrived May 31.
I've included this pic of 4 knobs on and 4 off for comparison.

+T Thanks for the pic AA 8) Those are schweet knobs for sure! I'd love to hear if you guys prefer those knobs to the stock ones?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #331 on: June 01, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
As a potential future buyer of the F8, I'm curious about the tactile difference between the stock and aftermarket knobs.  Just looking at the pictures, I would think the stock knobs would be easier to manipulate and have an idea of where you were just be feel simply because of their shape.

The basic issue with the knobs besides their size is that the natural tendency is to grip the flats.  To rotate the knob requires you rotate from the wrist with the flats gripped between the thumb and forefinger.  Rotating round knobs only requires the movement of your thumb and forefinger...as if you're rubbing them together... which is easier to do quickly with multiple knobs and for fine tuning.

As far as the knobs having position indication, yes that's a consideration though I tend to set levels by checking the meters more than the knob positron.

The reason I've held off buying these replacement knobs is the concern they'd fall off so the report that happens isn't encouraging. Please keep the feedback coming folks.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:13:49 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #332 on: June 01, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »
The stock knobs are as close to useless as ive ever seen

Its almost a joke

Getting gain even using them is virtually impossible. Too small, and dont stick out far enough for a fat finger to feel comfortable with

I should have my new knobs in a couple hours to compare

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #333 on: June 01, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »

The basic issue with the knobs besides their size is that the natural tendency is to grip the flats.  To rotate the knob requires you rotate from the wrist with the flats gripped between the thumb and forefinger.  Rotating round knobs only requires the movement of your thumb and forefinger...as if you're rubbing them together... which is easier to do quickly with multiple knobs and for fine tuning.

As far as the knobs having position indication, yes that's a consideration though I tend to set levels by checking the meters more than the knob positron.

The reason I've held off buying these replacement knobs is the concern they'd fall off so the report that happens isn't encouraging. Please keep the feedback coming folks.

They are a huge improvement to me in usability and they really do fit pretty well, but I am going to see if I can use some sort of sticky tape to secure them better. And the knobs do have a ridge on the side to indicate position buy you cant see it when you are turning them. I was thinking maybe a notch or colored band (this might be difficult with 3d printing) on the top indicating position would help.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

stevetoney

« Reply #334 on: June 01, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »

They are a huge improvement to me in usability and they really do fit pretty well, but I am going to see if I can use some sort of sticky tape to secure them better. And the knobs do have a ridge on the side to indicate position buy you cant see it when you are turning them. I was thinking maybe a notch or colored band (this might be difficult with 3d printing) on the top indicating position would help.

Just a thought but sharpie makes gold or silver colored paint pens.  Perhaps they'd be good for marking a dot on the face of your knobs.

stevetoney

« Reply #335 on: June 01, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »

Getting gain even using them is virtually impossible. Too small, and dont stick out far enough for a fat finger to feel comfortable with

Having much larger knobs on an eight channel recorder would be a tradeoff between having either probably a larger recorder with eight larger knobs on the face, or having fewer knobs but making them multi function.  The problem with multi function level knobs is you can't adjust individual channel gains quickly, though ganging helps.  Lots of ppl like the dr680 system but zoom went another route.  I don't have an issue with them...because I've used as many as six channels and find the tradeoff worthwhile, especially given the sound quality and features packed into a $999 package.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:16:00 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »

Just a thought but sharpie makes gold or silver colored paint pens.  Perhaps they'd be good for marking a dot on the face of your knobs.

I have a couple of these sharpies around somewhere I will try it...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2016, 04:39:20 PM »

Or just use a soldering iron to burn a slight indentation on the top and drop in paint to fill in the indentation
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »

Having much larger knobs on an eight channel recorder would be a tradeoff between having either probably a larger recorder with eight larger knobs on the face, or having fewer knobs but making them multi function.  The problem with multi function level knobs is you can't adjust individual channel gains quickly, though ganging helps.  Lots of ppl like the dr680 system but zoom went another route.  I don't have an issue with them...because I've used as many as six channels and find the tradeoff worthwhile, especially given the sound quality and features packed into a $999 package.

Well that makes me think of an interesting idea: put the larger knobs only on your master level control for ganged pairs.  It might look weird, but could cut down on the chances of you grabbing the wrong knob for a fast level adjustment of a stereo linked pair.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

« Reply #339 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »

Or just use a soldering iron to burn a slight indentation on the top and drop in paint to fill in the indentation

Oooh.  I likey!!

stevetoney

« Reply #340 on: June 01, 2016, 05:24:45 PM »
Another comment on level adjustments is that i usually set levels at the recorder when the music starts but after that I fine tune with my iPhone.  I'm thinking about buying a cheap old gen iPad for 100 or whatever and dedicating it to my F8.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #341 on: June 06, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »
Finqlly diving into my summercamp recordings which was my first outing with the f8

Sounds fantastic schoeps > nbox platinum

The change in the sound when i barely adjusted levels is drastic. It was one of the last sets i taped, my levels were pretty damn close to begin with.

Im not sure how to explain it. Not smooth at all. It makes me cringe every time

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2016, 10:07:19 PM »
> Another comment on level adjustments is that i usually set levels at the recorder when the music starts but after that I fine tune with my iPhone.  I'm thinking about buying a cheap old gen iPad for 100 or whatever and dedicating it to my F8.

Not sure the app will work on older models. I have a not to old ipad and the Zoom app will not work.

Offline robtweed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #343 on: June 08, 2016, 03:08:41 AM »
Not sure the app will work on older models. I have a not to old ipad and the Zoom app will not work.

According to the info on the App Store, it's supposed to work on 3rd Generation iPads and later.  You'll need to make sure Bluetooth is on.
Mics: DPA 2011C, Line Audio OM1 & CM3, Calrec CM652D, Behringer C-4
Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H4n, Sound Devices USBPre2 + MacBook Air
Mixdown: Audacity, Cubase LE on Mac OS X
Playback: Beresford Caiman II DAC, Naim NAP 100 amp, PMC TB2i speakers

stevetoney

« Reply #344 on: June 08, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
Finqlly diving into my summercamp recordings which was my first outing with the f8

Sounds fantastic schoeps > nbox platinum

The change in the sound when i barely adjusted levels is drastic. It was one of the last sets i taped, my levels were pretty damn close to begin with.

Im not sure how to explain it. Not smooth at all. It makes me cringe every time

You mean this sound issue happens as you are adjusting levels but not after.  If so, that's the digital gain pots.  This is apparently a common issue on recorders that use digital gain and isn't isolated to the F8.  It was discussed earlier in this thread if you want to read more.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com