Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: digital mics (portable AES 42, schoeps, neumann)  (Read 11711 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
digital mics (portable AES 42, schoeps, neumann)
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:15:55 PM »
im sure you all have heard about these by now. from what i have read, the neumann mics can output either aes 42 or aes/ebu (tho im not sure of the latter without the use of the latter without neumann's AC-powered D-01), and the schoeps CMD series bodies apparently only work with AES42

it appears the AES 42 standard requires digital signal, some phantom powering, and some remote control signals

some Q's for discussion:

1) looks like this standard isnt publically available: http://store.ihs.com/specsstore/controller?event=LINK_DOCDETAILS&mid=W097&getCurVer=false&docId=ZZEFBCAAAAAAAAAA&mid=W097
does anyone here know any details of it? is it within the scope of the peeps on this list to build a portable interface?

2) i would think it would be ideal for an 'all in one' box, similar to the nbox, but with spdif out.something with a master clock, proper control of mic sample rate, and an aes42>12s>spdif circuit.

3) can you invision a world where bit buckets evolve until your rig is 'schoeps mk4>custom cable>microtrack at 24/192'

I'm getting that 'too good to be true' feeling, tho.....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:18:18 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Alexandru Petrescu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: digital mics (portable AES 42, schoeps, neumann)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »
[...]
3) can you envision a world where bit buckets evolve until your rig is 'schoeps mk4>custom cable>microtrack at 24/192'

Not visionary enough... I'd add bidirectional wireless (send voice to  studio and receive config data) to the picture; also micro-mechanically switching polar patterns; all running on a dime-sized battery.

Alex

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
well you got me beat there!

i guess beyond that were recording what we actually hear to a chip implanted in our brain

FYI, i contacted neumann and schoeps, and it is possible to run these without a proper AES42 input.

more later

[...]
3) can you envision a world where bit buckets evolve until your rig is 'schoeps mk4>custom cable>microtrack at 24/192'

Not visionary enough... I'd add bidirectional wireless (send voice to  studio and receive config data) to the picture; also micro-mechanically switching polar patterns; all running on a dime-sized battery.

Alex

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 06:08:56 PM »
:-) hehe right yes, I think envisioning a world with early A/Ds in portable mics is not very far-fetched, as witnessed by the USB microphones.  Digital is just another new dimension in the all-known audio trade-offs space; eg if a spdif interface must be small lowpower it will be 16bit/44khz making its edging 24bit recorder and 100KHz capsule useless... maybe R09 moving from 44khz to 96khz and losing its digital output confirms this speculation too :-)

I looked closer at the Neumann descriptions ('kmd' is that?) and the one obvious impediment for portable recording seemed to be the need of supplementary power for the digital interface... the other being the supplementary size of the spdif converter.

I think only Neumann could feed a 'bit-bucket' spdif like MicroTrack's whereas Schoeps ('cmd'?) wouldn't support spdif.

For the AES standard being open: they'll surely say it's open, all standards are so, which wouldn't stop its textual description from being sold, which wouldn't stop a motivated implementer or her/his employer to buy it considering the amount of money s/he's going to make by selling devices...

Yes, please keep us posted about the feedback from neumann and schoeps about running these.

i guess beyond that were recording what we actually hear to a chip implanted in our brain

FYI, i contacted neumann and schoeps, and it is possible to run these without a proper AES42 input.

more later

[...]

Alex

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:08:11 PM »
they both said the neumann adapter shown here:

http://www.neumann.com/download.php?download=copi0098.PDF

would work to power both the neumann and schoeps fine,

the trick being each one puts out a spdif mono signal, so you'd need two spdif recorders and some post-work

also, you'd need access to somebody with an AES42 compliant console to set the sample rate initially, then it would remain at that setting with the adapter until you changed it with a AES42 console.

I could live with the mics set to 48 or 96k relatively permanently.

the big question is there any advantage over a standard cmc6 for our application?

i would think that the self-noise of the capsule would be the limiting factor. you may buy some range, but how much?

:-) hehe right yes, I think envisioning a world with early A/Ds in portable mics is not very far-fetched, as witnessed by the USB microphones.  Digital is just another new dimension in the all-known audio trade-offs space; eg if a spdif interface must be small lowpower it will be 16bit/44khz making its edging 24bit recorder and 100KHz capsule useless... maybe R09 moving from 44khz to 96khz and losing its digital output confirms this speculation too :-)

I looked closer at the Neumann descriptions ('kmd' is that?) and the one obvious impediment for portable recording seemed to be the need of supplementary power for the digital interface... the other being the supplementary size of the spdif converter.

I think only Neumann could feed a 'bit-bucket' spdif like MicroTrack's whereas Schoeps ('cmd'?) wouldn't support spdif.

For the AES standard being open: they'll surely say it's open, all standards are so, which wouldn't stop its textual description from being sold, which wouldn't stop a motivated implementer or her/his employer to buy it considering the amount of money s/he's going to make by selling devices...

Yes, please keep us posted about the feedback from neumann and schoeps about running these.

more later

[...]

Alex

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:12:40 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »

btw, this is possible right now:

MK4>CMD2>KMD adapter>2x microtrack @24/96 > soundforge (time correction, stereo mix, fades and edits) >CDWAV > FLAC

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:19:24 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »
The AES42 standard has created a bit of an odd situation. As you can see from Neumann's product lineup, it isn't hard to power one microphone at a time and derive either an AES/EBU or S/P-DIF signal from it. That's great for the project studio people who only "track" with one microphone at a time.

But for those of us who record in stereo using 2, 3 or 4 microphones at once, there's a bit of a problem: Each digital microphone contains its own clock circuitry, so no two are exaaaaaaaactly alike. Thus when more than one microphone at a time is being used, one of two things must occur:

(1) The signals from the microphones must go through a process of asynchonous sample rate conversion so that the signals they deliver can be recorded synchronously, or

(2) The clocks in the microphones have to be nudged into conforming to an external master clock.

The AES-42 standard has an extremely ingenious way for approach (2) to work. The interface which powers the microphones observes their exact data rate, and advises them (via a flag in the bitstream) to slow down or speed up until everything is properly in synch. In my opinion that is distinctly preferable to any asynchronous sample rate conversion.

Unfortunately, however, the only free-standing implementation of this approach that I know of is in Neumann's DMI-2 interface, which currently lists for $1,418.00 in the United States. I assume that the powering and synchronization could be implemented for less than that, but probably not very easily.

A courtesy PDF copy of the standards document can be downloaded at no charge from the AES' Web site. See http://www.aes.org/publications/standards/ .

By the way, as someone else mentioned previously, Schoeps' digital microphones work just fine with Neumann's powering adapters--one advantage of having such a standard, and of manufacturers who treat such standards with appropriate respect. Schoeps doesn't offer any powering devices for digital microphones; they anticipate that this facility will be built into preamps, mixers and recorders in the not-too-distant future.

I personally am in no great hurry to convert to this approach, since its advantages in my type of application are so minor compared to the costs. If the advantages increase or the costs decrease, that will tilt things a little differently. For me, for now, I don't find that the analog interface limits my ability to get a good recording when my mikes are in the right place at the right time.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »
listen here mr rational advice guy, if we wanted rational advice instead of dreaming and slutting it up, we know where your trashcan is!  >:D >:D

j/k, thanks as always for your input

my own feeling is hte timing issue would be minimal between two mics.

phasing and timing issues are more prevalent with two stereo sources mixed together, but for just a L and R channel, there is inherent phasing and timing issues anyway, and i think you could make an assumption that the clocks may be different, but both consistent in timing to themselves. you would correct the timing by a simple software reclocking of the whole track from a start and end point, and that would work 99% of the time.

The AES-42 standard has an extremely ingenious way for approach (2) to work. The interface which powers the microphones observes their exact data rate, and advises them (via a flag in the bitstream) to slow down or speed up until everything is properly in synch. In my opinion that is distinctly preferable to any asynchronous sample rate conversion.

Unfortunately, however, the only free-standing implementation of this approach that I know of is in Neumann's DMI-2 interface, which currently lists for $1,418.00 in the United States. I assume that the powering and synchronization could be implemented for less than that, but probably not very easily.

yes but realistically in 5 years we could see this type of logic on a single chip that could easily be integrated into a small digital phantom power/spdif data/clock synching circuit design (or perhaps even a chip that did all of those, with additional software dsp's, etc).

future looks bright for the geeks. and props to the old schoolers in germany who are still pwning the worlds faces with their microphone technology to this day.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:56:57 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »
jerryfreak, OK on the sluttitude, but the problem is that the S/P-DIF or AES/EBU outputs of Neumann's simple powering solutions are all single-channel. For stereo recording you can't just plug two of them in side by side because of the timing issues. It's not just the tiny divergence among different samples of the microphones--it's how are you going to interleave the data from two microphones (it has to go exactly in order, left/right/left/right, with the proper sync bits and protocol bits in the exact right places), when each microphone is running on its own independent clock, and there's no central device that's bringing the two signals into a common feed?

In a two-channel S/P-DIF or AES/EBU signal, the sample values are interleaved left/right/left/right etc.--your interface or recorder then syncs to that signal, which is "self-clocking" (i.e. the equipment receiving the signal can derive its own master clock from it). If you feed in two independent signals with different clocks and random, uncoordinated relative timing (i.e. when does each microphone start sending the bits for each new sample?), the recorder or interface can't sync to them both at the same time unless it does the thing I called (1) in my message above. With each microphone delivering its own sample values at randomly (un)related points in time, you can't just combine those two outputs into one data stream in any simple way.

Am I making myself clear here? There's a fundamental issue that won't go away no matter how you slice it.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 01:28:01 PM by DSatz »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 07:22:59 PM »
I have the Neumann KM-D series and use them in anger.

There are *two* devices that I know of that take AES42 microphones - the Neumann DMI-2 and the new 8-channel RME unit.

Schoeps units always run asynchronously and need a sample-rate converter.

The Neumann units can run asynchronously or synchronously, clocked by the DMI-2 or the RME.  Same with the new Sennheiser AES42 unit for the MKH 8000 series (due later this year) - but the Sennheiser can run two capsules.

If you want to run the Neumann in stereo with the adaptor units you will need a sample-rate converter to sync. them.

I think DSatz has already said most of this already (but he missed the availability of the RME unit I think).

Taking everything into account the AES42 microphones are not expensive when you consider that you don't need a mic. pre. and they also have built-in limiters (certainly the Neumann and Sennheiser do, I don't know about the Schoeps in this respect) to prevent clipping.

Basically AES42 is an AES3 signal together with a 10V / 250mA phantom power and data stream both ways.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »

Taking everything into account the AES42 microphones are not expensive when you consider that you don't need a mic. pre. and they also have built-in limiters (certainly the Neumann and Sennheiser do, I don't know about the Schoeps in this respect) to prevent clipping.

Sounds tempting.

Factoring out the sync issues I don't quite understand, and in the advantageous absence of a larger analog preamp - what are the digital A/D inconvenients of the digital mics compared to using a larger external A/D?  For example, maybe 1bit AD is more flexible than eg Schoeps CMD2U's builtin 24/192k?

Just some thoughts, otherwise yes, looks tempting, a setting where analog noise is no longer an issue...

Alex

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:32:28 AM »
Alexandru, it is simply not true that "analog noise is no longer an issue." A digital microphone (of the type we are talking about) is nothing but a combination of an analog capsule, an analog FET front end stage (and those are the two main noise sources in any condenser microphone already), followed by an A/D converter.

It is like the difference between a separate tuner, preamplifier and power amplifier on the one hand, and an integrated "receiver" on the other. The only noise which is reduced in a receiver is the noise which comes from connecting several components which might not be ideally suited to one another.

If you compare the equivalent noise level of any available digital microphone which has an analog counterpart, the equivalent noise level of the digital version is always greater--as it must be. You can plainly see this in the specifications of both Neumann and Schoeps, for example.

Of course, the proper comparison would be with the equivalent noise of the analog microphone plus an preamp and A/D converter--but there are many possible choices of preamp and converter, and no standard form of specification exists for such a combination, so this gets into an area of some debate.

--best regards

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »
The AES42 standard dictates a 24 bot output from the mic.

The better noise figures from digital come from the fact that you don't have to back off the mic. pre. and A/D to allow for headroom - also the digital mic. can have a built-in digital limiter to prevent clipping.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
Now, what I really would love to have is digital mics transmitting wireless to my recorder. Lately I have started to hate cables more and more.

The digital mics seems to give a really good amplification and AD. It can perhaps be bettered slightly with other preamps + converters but the difference is probably tiny.

It would need resampling at the receiving end but that probably makes only tiny changes in the sound. Now, think of something the size of a normal small condenser mic (say like a MKH 20), with built in digital converter and transmitter. Built in battery running, say, 10 hours. 8 of these mics and I would be able to do most of my classical recordings without cables focusing on getting mic placement right instead. Now, that is something to dream of (and I believe it is not really that far away technically).

Gunnar

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Now, what I really would love to have is digital mics transmitting wireless to my recorder. Lately I have started to hate cables more and more.

The digital mics seems to give a really good amplification and AD. It can perhaps be bettered slightly with other preamps + converters but the difference is probably tiny.

It would need resampling at the receiving end but that probably makes only tiny changes in the sound. Now, think of something the size of a normal small condenser mic (say like a MKH 20), with built in digital converter and transmitter. Built in battery running, say, 10 hours. 8 of these mics and I would be able to do most of my classical recordings without cables focusing on getting mic placement right instead. Now, that is something to dream of (and I believe it is not really that far away technically).

Not technically possible at the moment.

Great idea, though.

A normal phantom mic. takes 2mA - an AES42 digital mic. takes 250mA. + digital trandmitter..............

Battery life of about 5-minutes I think.  ;D

Hopefully one day..................................................

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
did Schoeps discontinue the CMD digital body? I don't see it listed on their site anymore.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »
did Schoeps discontinue the CMD digital body? I don't see it listed on their site anymore.

I was wondering the same thing. I noticed this a week or so ago.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
I would doubt it but I would wait to see if anything pops at AES next month

I would hope they come out with a VST type version - I asked Bernhard about this about a year ago or so and he said he didn't think they would.  You would only need one AES input and based on the senhiezer version (they already have a body like this) it should easily fit into a single CMC body and probably be more efficient (less power needed - less components).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:50:39 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
According to Schoeps they have discontinued the CMD but do still have a stock.  They are planning on a follow up solution but they do not know when it will be available
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »
According to Schoeps they have discontinued the CMD but do still have a stock.  They are planning on a follow up solution but they do not know when it will be available

Mr. Wittek from Schoeps wrote me some time ago they're working on a new CMD version with a DSP in the mic body, similar to the Neumann Solution-D mics. He was negative about AES42 Mode 2 for external word clock sync.
I don't want a SRC between mic and recorder and all my Solution-D mics are synchronized every time I use more than one. I have Schoeps mics too and would like to use the capsules in a synced setup together with my Neumann stuff. So please, if somebody thinks alike having word clock sync for digital mics is a must, let Schoeps know! Mr. Wittek doesn't see any problem implementing SRCs which came as a surprise for me. Neumann seems to think very different in this regard. SRCs maybe be no problem in ENG but for high quality recording they're a no no ...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
SRCs maybe be no problem in ENG but for high quality recording they're a no no ...

Is this sentiment based on actual use of the current hardware SRCs in these components or perhaps not-misplaced inertia from historical usage of older, less competent and less transparent SRC implementations? 

Software SRC has progressed significantly, reaching a point where many are of the opinion that high quality routines do not cause perceivable problems in the practical sense of listening, or in measurement down to reasonable levels.  I have no experience with these hardware ASRC implementations, but can only imagine they would be comparable to the modern high quality software algorithms.. that’s my own assumption, which may be incorrect.  ;)  I tend to trust Schoeps engineering, especially when is seems they may have reached a conclusion based on engineering aspects, which can be seen to be at odds with their position to market quality recording gear of the highest caliber to customers willing to pay for it.

Curious to hear other’s thoughts, especially of those with hands-on experience with these.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »
SRCs maybe be no problem in ENG but for high quality recording they're a no no ...

Is this sentiment based on actual use of the current hardware SRCs in these components or perhaps not-misplaced inertia from historical usage of older, less competent and less transparent SRC implementations? 

I don't use hardware SRCs while recording, they're only used to feed digital outputs of synthesizers without word clock input into my DM2000 mixing desk and the synced environment. Software SRC, especially the iZotope SRC, I use regulary to SRC 96 kHz recordings to 44.1 kHz. Maybe there are hardware SRCs which are as good as the best software ones, Weiss comes to mind, but there are general issues with SRCs, like additional latency and different qualities among them and/or between different rates. Neumann, leading the digital microphone development, clearly showed that word clock synced microphones are doable. For me this is the direct, most elegant way. Digital mics are wonderful and I hate the thought to compromise the output with additional processing. In a mixed environment with synced and free running mics you have some microphones with additional latency. The RCS software from Neumann reports latency in samples, a SRC would change that.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
Thanks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
Received a note today that Mode 2 from Schoeps is coming too but not a priority.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 06:01:08 AM »

Mr. Wittek from Schoeps wrote me some time ago they're working on a new CMD version with a DSP in the mic body, similar to the Neumann Solution-D mics. He was negative about AES42 Mode 2 for external word clock sync.
I don't want a SRC between mic and recorder and all my Solution-D mics are synchronized every time I use more than one. I have Schoeps mics too and would like to use the capsules in a synced setup together with my Neumann stuff. So please, if somebody thinks alike having word clock sync for digital mics is a must, let Schoeps know! Mr. Wittek doesn't see any problem implementing SRCs which came as a surprise for me. Neumann seems to think very different in this regard. SRCs maybe be no problem in ENG but for high quality recording they're a no no ...

I agree and I wish Schoeps would see this.

Another advantage of Mode-2 is that there is a constant phase relationship (close to 0°) between different microphones independent of cable length or other influences.

Also - Mode-2 mics can also be run as Mode-1; so if Shcoeps make the new ones as Mode-2 they can do both.

It would actually also help Schoeps sales for people wanting to mix Schoeps, Neumann and Sennheiser into an existing Mode-2 set-up. At the moment they would stick to Neumann and Sennheiser and ignore the Schoeps.

I do wish everyone would standardise on Mode-2!!!

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »
As an addendum...........

I have written two AES papers on AES42 digital microphones - readable and not overly technical so you get lost  ;)

These were presented at the European AES Convention in 2011 and the second at the UK Conference in 2011.

They list all the microphones and accessories available for AES42 and go into the pros and cons.

If anyone sends me a PM and includes an e-mail address I will be happy to send them the PDFs of these papers.

I did try to attach them to the post, but they are a bit larger than the 512KB limit (one is just over 1MB, the other just under)

Edited by BSkalinder:  Thanks to John for sending his AES papers to me via email.  I've posted them in the TS reference section for easy access by all:

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/AES%20-%20Digital%20Microphones%20-%20AES42%20and%20all%20that.pdf
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/AES%20130%20-%20Digital%20Microphones%20-%20What%27s%20it%20all%20about.pdf
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:38:39 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »

Another advantage of Mode-2 is that there is a constant phase relationship (close to 0°) between different microphones independent of cable length or other influences.

Also - Mode-2 mics can also be run as Mode-1; so if Shcoeps make the new ones as Mode-2 they can do both.

It would actually also help Schoeps sales for people wanting to mix Schoeps, Neumann and Sennheiser into an existing Mode-2 set-up. At the moment they would stick to Neumann and Sennheiser and ignore the Schoeps.

Thank you John, good additions. As I mentioned, I got a note from Schoeps/Mr.Wittek Mode 2 will come in the future but demand for Mode 2 is very low. So we have to raise the voice.
Of course the next step would be a compact recording device with AES42 inputs, remote control build in (RCS functionality) and Mode 2.
BTW.: asked DPA about digital microphone bodies some time ago - negative answer, no interest.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »

Thank you John, good additions. As I mentioned, I got a note from Schoeps/Mr.Wittek Mode 2 will come in the future but demand for Mode 2 is very low. So we have to raise the voice.
Of course the next step would be a compact recording device with AES42 inputs, remote control build in (RCS functionality) and Mode 2.
BTW.: asked DPA about digital microphone bodies some time ago - negative answer, no interest.

The two recorders that can accept AES42 direct are the SD 788T and the AETA 4MinX.  Both are Mode-1 only as they include a SRC and this method will accept both Mode-1 and Mode-2 mics.

I guess they will only incorporate Mode-2 in the recorder if Schoeps also go Mode-2 as that will be all the main manufacturers on Mode-2.  But it will cost to include Mode-2 as it's a lot more complicated.

Otherwise you will need an interface - the Neumann DMI-2P is the only DC powered one.

I did speak to DPA when I wrote my papers, which is why I mentioned them in the papers.  They then said they had no plans but I tried to stir them up a bit - especially as the new series is modular, it would mean only a single module to have a complete series.

Gefell only do the one measurement AES42 module at the moment, unfortunately.  I'm working on them...

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »

The two recorders that can accept AES42 direct are the SD 788T and the AETA 4MinX.  Both are Mode-1 only as they include a SRC and this method will accept both Mode-1 and Mode-2 mics.

I guess they will only incorporate Mode-2 in the recorder if Schoeps also go Mode-2 as that will be all the main manufacturers on Mode-2.  But it will cost to include Mode-2 as it's a lot more complicated.

Otherwise you will need an interface - the Neumann DMI-2P is the only DC powered one.

Hi John,

I know all this and own several DMI-2s, including two DMI-2Ps. Behind this pseudonym is the guy who asked you the last time a few things about the MZD8000 ... ;-)
Anyway ... thats one of the reasons I try to motivate Schoeps to make a Mode 2 mic. I don't want recorders with always switched on SRCs. And I like the MK2 and MK41 so much ...

I did speak to DPA when I wrote my papers, which is why I mentioned them in the papers.  They then said they had no plans but I tried to stir them up a bit - especially as the new series is modular, it would mean only a single module to have a complete series.

Gefell only do the one measurement AES42 module at the moment, unfortunately.  I'm working on them...

I guess the main problem is that DPA and Gefell don't have the development capacities for hard- and software development. Furthermore especially DPA doesn't seem to care about digital microphones at all.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »

Hi John,

I know all this and own several DMI-2s, including two DMI-2Ps. Behind this pseudonym is the guy who asked you the last time a few things about the MZD8000 ... ;-)
Anyway ... thats one of the reasons I try to motivate Schoeps to make a Mode 2 mic. I don't want recorders with always switched on SRCs. And I like the MK2 and MK41 so much ...

Yes - I agree with all this and do hope that Schoeps will also do Mode-2 as it's really the best way.

I guess the main problem is that DPA and Gefell don't have the development capacities for hard- and software development. Furthermore especially DPA doesn't seem to care about digital microphones at all.

I think DPA are keeping an eye on it and, no doubt, will jump in if AES42 takes off more.

As Gefell is the original Neumann factory and still have good relations with Neumann, my personal hope is that they may persuade Neumann to let them have the KM-D innards as an OEM unit so they could make the SMS 2000 system digital.

Nothing official, just my dream; but I think it would be in Neumann's interest as well - as another manufacturer with Mode-2 digital mics will only enhance digital microphones as a whole to the benefit of all microphone manufacturers.

Offline ramallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 06:29:42 AM »

The Zaxcom Nomad accepts AES42, have two inputs and two supply modes, and SRC. The TRX942 transmitter from Zaxcom too work with AES 42.  :)

Cheers

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
A few years back I translated a big "white paper" for Schoeps and several partner companies about AES 42 microphones. As a recording engineer I, too, thought of asynchronous sample rate conversion as something best avoided. To me, the authors of the paper seemed rather blithe in claiming that it is audibly transparent nowadays.

I don't work in studios any more, though, so I haven't had a chance to hear what modern ASRC is like. So let me ask: Who here has worked with present-day, high-quality ASRC implementations? What are your impressions?

To put it bluntly, if it turns out that we're all just sitting around here imagining that everyone else thinks it's bad, but no one really knows, then I think we're not doing ourselves any favors.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:27:16 PM by DSatz »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com