Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow. New links added.  (Read 11637 times)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Rear-facing audience mics: Wow. New links added.
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »
Tonight I recorded at an outside venue I frequent, which has an incredible FOH (Brandon Cecil of Impact Audio--plug!)  I recorded a SBD feed, a forward set of Schoeps Mk. 5 in cardioid (DIN) and a rearward-facing pair of Mk. 41s (AB at 60 cm).  I figured I would use the envelope function to essentially add applause to the mix at the end of songs, and after solos.  What I didn't anticipate was the extra dimension that those rearward-facing mics brought to the mix.  It was as striking as the first time I made a SBD + AUD matrix.  There is an entirely new sense of depth and spaciousness to the recording that is truly mind-blowing.  It is extra work, with extra channels, but it was definitely worth it.  So glad I tried it.  The DR-680, fed 12V from a Naztech, performed flawlessly.

Addendum:  Three clips down the thread with solo forward mics, SBD + forward mics, and SBD + forward + rear mics.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:29:55 PM by boltman »

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »
kindms and I have been using his 414 XLS's in a "Bi-directional" or Blumlein config for certain situations for some time now. Usually outdoors and with crowds that are hopefully more polite than some. We set them up in a coincident crossed physical config, and set them to figure 8. We have always noticed the openness and ambient quality you are mentioning with your rearward facing MK 41s. The rear lobes of the figure 8s bring out some extra dimensionality to the recording but of course present objectionable audience noise into the mix if you are only using 2 channels.
Recently, at Phish SPAC 2014-07-05 we ran MS with his 414s from the lawn with the stand about 12 feet up. Overall it is a pretty good recording, the overall sound quality and tonality beats the crap off of our "safety" recording made with AKG C460 w/ck 8 short shots. As kindms said about the 414s MS, "the audience is DEFINITELY a part of the recording".
One question: were your rearward facing mics FOH or on stage? a lot of large stage A-list performers' sound crews place on stage shotguns facing toward the audience to get the same effect you hear with your mk 41 channels.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:51:58 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
I mounted the rearward Mk. 41s on the same bar as the forward-facing Mk. 5s.  I could have run the Mk. 41s from the stage area via snake, but there's no riser (venue is a bowl), with kids sometimes running around near the stage.  Seemed less risky and less of a hassle to mount them up by the board.  The crowd at this venue is generally older/more respectful so the ambience mics worked out pretty well.

The environmental noises (which might be a siren, motorcycles, or the freight trains which pass behind the venue at least several times during the show) definitely add to the flavor, and are isolated enough that they don't really detract from the recording.

Yup, I often see audience-facing shotguns when I go to festivals, and have always wanted to try it, but couldn't until I got the DR-680. 

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
Interested to find out how much of the rear facing pair you mixed in post? I would imagine only a small amount gives the required level of room ambience etc before the aud starts to become intrusive in the mix?

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:13:17 PM »
Since this is outdoors I think I can include more.  Just taped last night, so I haven't settled on final mix.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 07:11:24 PM »
Interesting.   So would one expect the resulting sound to be similar to what it would sound like if you recorded with omnis?

I don't know about that crowd Corbin, I know of one person that goes there every so often and he's a real dick.  ;)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »
I need to try this. Thanks for making the post.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:48:24 AM »
Interesting Corbin. I'd love to hear the end result ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 03:30:31 AM »
Interesting.   So would one expect the resulting sound to be similar to what it would sound like if you recorded with omnis?

Yes! We need more omni love in these parts.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 06:27:42 AM »
I've tried something similar a couple of times and been really pleased with the results despite some raised eyebrows when setting up.

FWIW I think if you have a single pair of cards to complement a board feed for anything where there is significant instrumentation missing from the house mix (eg electric guitar) I think this trumps running the mics further back in the room on a number of levels. And not least because your audience noise is primarily the people listening to the band at the front rather than the ones hanging around and chatting nearer the back.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
Here's a link to a clip in which the rearward-facing pair was mixed in at -4 dB.  EQ'd the singer's voice a bit; I found his timbre + the mic choice (I guess an SM58) too hashy.  Biggest environmental noise in this clip is the giggling baby.

https://soundcloud.com/backwoodsman-1/ts-clip/s-Ow9cW
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:56:40 PM by boltman »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow. Clip link.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
See! Cool huh?

I've been waiting/hoping for a while for a thread like this one..

[rubs hands together, strokes cat]
Excellent, my plan for world domination is taking hold.
Hooohaaahaaahaaaaaa!!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
Interesting that you posted this now. I was just listening to a recording I made years back where the artist used a surround sound (4 channel) setup.

The show sounded awesome there and I had seen (and recorded) them do it before so I decided to run my cards facing the stage and some omni facing the back stacks. Unfortunately I was only running 2 channels then so I had to mix them down live. It still sounded fantastic and better than when I had previously recorded them with only the cards.

Sure wish they would tour again with that set up so I could run 4 cards and maybe the omnis too and make a surround recording from it. The band was Super Furry Animals and they do some pretty cool techno jammy stuff live. Lots of swirling synths. They are on hiatus so unlikely I will see them again anytime soon.

Anyone know any other bands that currently run a surround sound PA and allow recording?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »
I thought I posted this earlier but never hit Submit I guess, but at Gutbucket's recommendation I've used a single rear facing mic (wide card in this case but anything directional would probably work) recording small chamber music ensembles in a very dry room and it added nice ambience. Similar to the rear facing mic when running split omnis and center front/rear hypers/cards.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 09:44:54 PM »

I don't know about that crowd Corbin, I know of one person that goes there every so often and he's a real dick.  ;)

Hey, you better not come 'round 'cause it's MY temple of sound now! >:D

All right now, been kicking around your omni comment for a couple of days:  How does a forward-facing cardioid pair in DIN and a rearward facing supercardioid pair in AB60 = omni?  I'm obviously not good with the maths...so help me understand. :'(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com