Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: can i run DIN with this?  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: can i run DIN with this?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2004, 12:47:15 PM »
well actually i really believe it does matter.  it's all in the design of the microphone.  take a look at a variety of large diaphragm microphones.  then look at the guts and how the capsule is mounted.  while similar looking, each has it's own unique shape....specifically the casing of the capsule. those casings are specially designed a certain way so that the capsule inside recieves the audio signal in such a way that it helps define the sound of the microphone.    by putting the mic on the side your are now making the side of the capsule the "top" and it recieves the signal a different way than it would placed vertically. you are also placing undue stress, although minial, on how the capsule is mounted in the microphone.  i've talked about this with other audio engineers and the designers of the microphones themselves and they all agreed. 
WHAT!  ;D you mean it matters how it is orientated???? Think I'd preferr one that wouldn't matter if I had to run a M/S or Verticle XY...why would they do such a thing? :D I've been told that the 414's don't matter on their orientation.
I'm familair with capsule construction and some of the tricks used to tune the patterns...I guess thats the reason the reason their affordable cost.... so how would that affect on stage recording??
So if you point the capsule to the ceiling and made the sound source rotate slowly around the capsule you will hear differently?????  hummmm try it out and let me know.
How much is it affected by?  and this is SD's only (and mics in their price range)?

cool, peace
jah

ok jah, after reading your last post i think you are confused.....I"m talking about LD mikes, not SD mikes.  Bean has mentioned he's seen people run SD's every which way.  i would think that if you pointed your SD mikes towards the ceiling of the venue, or the sky, you would MOST DEFINITELY hear a difference then when mikes are pointed at the sound source.

so.......

i would think there would be a difference.  every pattern is most directional in the high frequencies.  it's in the high frequencies that the phase issues can occur.

keep in mind these are *MINOR*  differences.  some people might not even be able to hear them.  but since i've noticed a difference in my own experiments i choose to ONLY run vertical.

so i don't need to try anything cause i already have ;)  you should try it and see what happens.

edit:  spelling....thanks admkrk :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 07:56:02 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Online admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2004, 05:06:14 PM »
i would think that if you pointed your CD mikes towards the ceiling of the venue, or the sky, you would MOST DEFINITELY hear a difference then when mikes are pointed at the sound source.

;D

sure he's not using dat mics?
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Brian

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2004, 07:56:16 PM »
fixied :D :P

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2004, 08:19:28 PM »
yep, that makes more sence. but back to the point.  unless you can change the orientation of the capsel, wouldn't it be the same w/ ld vs. sd?

Offline Brian

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2004, 08:24:32 PM »
no because the casing of the capsule is speciifically designed to take in sound that way.  or at least that is what i believe to be true.    i really can't say anything more other than i've tried this with my tl's at live shows, PA taping, as well as on vocals and acoustic guitars in the studio with a u87 and a TL.  i've tried it.  i've experimented.  my ears tell me they sound different.  that's really all i can say.

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2004, 10:34:39 PM »
guess i'm not being clear, or just don't understand.

mics are designed to "point" in a particular direction, as i understand it, based on the capsel regaurdless of ld/sd. take a stereo mic for example(neumann sm69) if you were to run this horizontal, wouldn't you be picking up sound from the vertical plane? granted noone here is likely to use this, but, if you're not pointing the capsel towards the sound then you're recording what it's pointed at.  ground, sky, the nitwit next to you...........  i don't know, maybe i'm not right here but, if you want to shoot somebody you useualy point the gun at them, not in the air.

please correct me if i'm off base here.

kirk

Offline Brian

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2004, 10:56:40 AM »
good lord......this thread is going nowhere.  I'm not defending running horizontal with LD'.! I'm defending why you should run LD's **vertical**

it's obvious you are misunderstanding what i am talking about because i agree with everything you just said.  ;D  it appears you are also disregarding the comments on the casing of the capsule in LD's.  I sugguest re-reading the thread from the start.  everything i've said should make sense then.  i really can't think of any other ways to explain it. 

edit:  correct my frustrations ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 05:40:28 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2004, 06:59:19 PM »
wooohh, settle down,  confusion's my middle name.  i was just thinking out loud there.  i guess i did get turned around a bit.

Offline Brian

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2004, 05:40:51 PM »
yeah sorry about that. that was kinda over the top.  i was frustrated i couldn't get find the exact right words to explain it. does any of that make any sense yet?

once again, my apologies...+T

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2004, 06:51:52 PM »
yeah it makes perfect sence. i've seen lds run both ways, and was always confused on the matter. unless the caps are movable, like some are, running them horizontal would be like pointing my naks at the ground(or sky). as far as upsidedown goes, that would make as much diff. as having the switch up, down, sideways, what ever. at least that's the way i see it.

this is all the major reason i've mostly avoided looking at lds. too much conflicting points of view.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2004, 12:17:37 AM »

ok jah, after reading your last post i think you are confused.....I"m talking about LD mikes, not SD mikes.  Bean has mentioned he's seen people run SD's every which way.  i would think that if you pointed your SD mikes towards the ceiling of the venue, or the sky, you would MOST DEFINITELY hear a difference then when mikes are pointed at the sound source.

so.......

i would think there would be a difference.  every pattern is most directional in the high frequencies.  it's in the high frequencies that the phase issues can occur.

keep in mind these are *MINOR*  differences.  some people might not even be able to hear them.  but since i've noticed a difference in my own experiments i choose to ONLY run vertical.

so i don't need to try anything cause i already have ;)  you should try it and see what happens.

edit:  spelling....thanks admkrk :P
Sorry STL, I meant TL and not SD...I had read Bean's comments on SD and inadverntly put SD in place of TL's...I was asking if this is a TL trait???? or LD trait....thinking TL's and not the higher end LD mics.
My point of aiming the caps to the sky is so that you could go around the cap w/ a source and see (hear) what affect, if any, that was to be had....KWIM????

SO...you say any differences is heard in the HF...that would make sense since it is most directional of the freqs.  So you hear a Phasing affect when not orientated vertically.....interesting...I respect your findings as they are yours...I don't have LD to my availability, so no can do...which is why I asked you (or anyone w/ TL's) to do so...of which you apparently have...cool ;)
I just find it baffeling why a 3 d image would be affected by orientation other than it is not truely an equal 3d image due to its design trade-offs for affordability.
I would like to hear from higher end LD users w/ orientation and their affects...so to your ears it matters if it is right side up Vs upside down Vs horz....does it become more focased to you when vertical?

peace bro and it would be nice to hook up w/ you on one of my STL visits...but for now I'm in chilly shitcago and wanting to go home, but the $3 Tuesdaynight Newcastle pints are a comfort ;D

jah

jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Brian

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2004, 12:23:09 PM »
I believe it to be inherant in ALL LD's.   it all has to do with how the audio gets reflected inside the casing before it hits the actual capsule.  think about it that way.  it's a lot easier to explain with visuals, but, alas, my drawing abilities are very bad.

can't go wrong with $3 newkies!  good times!  Let me know if you ever make ti down to STL and i'll do the same if i ever make it up to the windy city :)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2004, 12:28:17 PM »
Actually, I believe the orientation issue is shared by SIDE ADDRESS mics of all types.  I first became aware of this issue with schoeps mk4v mics -- the following url links to a schoeps article/email recommending that the 4v always be run vertically and describing the effects and reason for same -- http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/showmsg.mv+message=8295

Offline Brian

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2004, 12:42:01 PM »
thanks for the link dnsacks!  +T

that's a damn good explanation.....much better than what  i tried to say ;)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »
well actually i really believe it does matter.  it's all in the design of the microphone.  take a look at a variety of large diaphragm microphones.  then look at the guts and how the capsule is mounted.  while similar looking, each has it's own unique shape....specifically the casing of the capsule. those casings are specially designed a certain way so that the capsule inside recieves the audio signal in such a way that it helps define the sound of the microphone.    by putting the mic on the side your are now making the side of the capsule the "top" and it recieves the signal a different way than it would placed vertically. you are also placing undue stress, although minial, on how the capsule is mounted in the microphone.  i've talked about this with other audio engineers and the designers of the microphones themselves and they all agreed. 

robert kwon and I talked about this some bit once, he hadn't done the testing yet but he had the same thoughts as Brian.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com