Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I've realized why on-stage and stage-lip taping is so great>  (Read 11890 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: I've realized why on-stage and stage-lip taping is so great>
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 06:05:29 PM »
agreed, i do the onstage+sbd mix sometimes on some smaller bands i know, always a fun mix for sure, and usually the ONLY way to get a decent tape out of a shitty club/venue

How do you do the mix? Just wondering b/c in your sig there is no mixing device.

Peace,
BC
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 06:11:58 PM »
agreed, i do the onstage+sbd mix sometimes on some smaller bands i know, always a fun mix for sure, and usually the ONLY way to get a decent tape out of a shitty club/venue

How do you do the mix? Just wondering b/c in your sig there is no mixing device.

Peace,
BC

Ben I believe Bean mixes the sources in post production, my recording of Urbana turned out super well by the way, it will be on archive in a week or so

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 06:24:13 PM »
When I do a m4t1x I do it on the fly with a soundcraft notepad mixer when I have AC and a Sampson mixpad when I can only run DC.

I only do these when I'm in with the band and can get things tuned during sound check.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 06:57:40 PM »

Ben I believe Bean mixes the sources in post production, my recording of Urbana turned out super well by the way, it will be on archive in a week or so

nice! The 40 min or so that I taped  :P  sounded pretty good, other than a 5 sec block of white noise that scared the crap out of me when I had the stereo cranked after the show that night!     :crazy:     :)
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 07:08:04 PM »
BC- i do it in post when i have a couple jb3's at hand some nites, and transfer them going jb3>jb3 via a 4pin>4pin firewire cable, and do the matrix in wavelab 5.0's audio montage

quite easy w/ no delay, i try to make sure they are aligned every 40-60 mins, pretty damn easy once ya do it a few times, took me 6+ months to learn how to do the first one tho
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 09:00:54 PM »
Evil Taper,

What configuration did you run the Omnis in?

I ran my omnis at stage lip using the Healy method once (actually split the caps wider than Healy method).  Turned out ok, but next time I am going to try something different.

HRTF from the front row, it was stealth. :P
Really not very evil at all now...

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 02:47:38 AM »

I've been transferring some of my recent on-stage recordings lately, and listening to them critically, specifically listening for good sound qualities like balance and stereo separation, but also listening for undesireable sound qualities like echo, lack of balance, chatter, and anomolies like the random kick to the stand or whatever, and what I have realized more than anything else is that taping from the stage itself makes my recordings consistently better each time than any other variable I can control; its simple to do, a safe place to place the mics and stand, it eliminates most background noise and chatter when using cards (hypers would bring in the rear lobe of the audience itself), it provides a very clear stereo separation, and it eliminates odd room acoustics that can just ruin an otherwise good recording; case in point:  the Subterranean in Chicago, which is a terrible room to tape in, and I taped the same band there twice now with stunningly different results, and this room is very long and narrow and high (two stories) with wood panneling throughout, in other words its an echo chamber; last 10/04 I taped from behind the soundboard about halfway back from the stage, running 483>V3>DAP1 and using DIN, result:  hollow, echoey, basically unlistenable recording, due the sound just bouncing all around the room; second time I ran on-stage, again DIN, using 481>UA5>DAP1, about 24 inches off the floor, and its a superior recording, no echo, no boom, minimal chatter, crisp cymbals and punchy drums on the right, pronounced bass just a little to the left, lead guitar to the left of that, and bongos and fingerpad on the far left, lead guitar in the middle, its all perfectly identifiable based on the location of the amps on stage, and the sound I captured was not the house PA but instead the sound produced by each band members' own hand-selected amps; I have concluded that in any setting other than a really large room or venue, setting up and recording as close to the source as possible is the only way to go, oh and no stand or rig to protect at the expense of enjoying the show anymore either

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 08:00:23 AM »
ever run XY on stage?
IMO, its the best way to do it.

blumlein is king, of course.  and that has plenty of "rear lobe" facing the audience.
using hypers...w/that little rear lobe you mention, will not result in more crowd.  that little squirt of pickup out the back is out of phase, and will likely result in a nice affect of realism.  Just as the OOP information in blumlein and M/S works.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 09:49:42 AM »
ever run XY on stage?

blumlein is king, of course.  and that has plenty of "rear lobe" facing the audience.
using hypers...w/that little rear lobe you mention, will not result in more crowd.  that little squirt of pickup out the back is out of phase, and will likely result in a nice affect of realism.  Just as the OOP information in blumlein and M/S works.

if you are asking me, Nick, about running XY, the answer is a no, I really dislike this configuration and never run it, it produced a weird and unnatural sounding recording the one and only time I ran it, which was in a small club about twenty feet back from the stage in a tiny place, the recording should have sounded great, mics in XY about 9 feet high lashed to a pole in direct center of the floor; results: a bizarre sounding recording made with my 483>MiniMe>DAP1 rig, check it out on the archive for a listen if you care to, its Signal Path from 5-1-04 and sadly I was the only taper that night, and I have not used XY since; now, quite differently, for a recording using DIN instead, and on stage, stream my recent Lotus show also on the archive recorded on 10-27-05, that's the real deal in my opinion and illustrates the whole reason why I started this thread, a little more chatter than I would have preferred at moments but there were people directly behind my mic stand the whole show, but thanks for the mic configuration suggestions nonetheless
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 10:40:58 AM by grider »

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 01:00:10 PM »
I agree, grider.  I hate XY w/ my 480s.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 02:34:17 PM »
I agree, grider.  I hate XY w/ my 480s.

QFT

unless im stack taping RIGHT UP ON THE CABINET and in a shitty sounding club(pittsburgh deli company) im running DIN
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

marc0789

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 03:03:51 PM »
(hypers would bring in the rear lobe of the audience itself),

Don't hypers reject more rear sound than cards?  Maybe I'm confused!  Anyway, I agree with you Chris... stage is the shit with amplified, nonvocal bands.  I did get burned once though going low to the floor... about 8 or 10 inches from the floor for the bad plus.  The sound from the grand piano was really weak.  If I would have been up at the level of the piano's lid it would have been much better.  I tried but FOH shut me down... In that case (a nice room anyways) I should have gone fob.  I do love stage though.

Matt

unlike cards, hypers have a rear lobe.

Offline darkfunk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 04:10:50 PM »
I almost always tape on-stage and while I love the crispness and immediacy of the recordings sometimes the stereo image is a little extreme.  Anyone else find this?  I'm almost tempted to center stuff a bit in post, but maybe thats just because my ear is accustomed to the lack of stereo image found in studio recordings.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 07:45:15 PM »
ever run XY on stage?

I agree Nick... x/y on stage is usually spectacular.  If the mics have a decent presence boost, it gets a little brittle imho.  I love my c-4's and c-1's on stage, but I'm not a big fan of my ho's on stage in xy.  My preference (with my mics) is ho split omnis, c-1's xy, then c-4s xy.  I should try ortf or din on stage one of these days with the ho's... maybe do a comp with my r-4 next chance I get.  I love the xy image up close... nice and tight like your chin is on the stage.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 08:43:49 AM »
i'm a firm believer in coincident stereo techniques.
:)

didn't start out that way.  I was the original XY basher.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com