Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 7 Public Beta  (Read 11160 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Windows 7 Public Beta
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
I tried loading the 5.01b with the patch on my lappy running windows 7 and it failed to open.

had you gotten it to work with vista before?  just wondering.  this may be the clincher for me.  I love wavelab too much  ;)
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 02:51:53 AM »
Not really.  Yes the program would Launch.  But was it stable.  NO.  The dll files helped but it was far from stable.   

Try samplitude.  Once ya get by the clunky frontend.  Its a nice piece of software. 

IMO windows 7 is pretty stable.  Im running it on a lappy running a amd 2.4ghz with 1gb or ram. Which by specs is bare minimum. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:57:29 AM by momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
Not really.  Yes the program would Launch.  But was it stable.  NO.  The dll files helped but it was far from stable.   

I got it work on daves vista laptop and he hasn't had any issues that I'm aware of.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
I tried loading the 5.01b with the patch on my lappy running windows 7 and it failed to open.

had you gotten it to work with vista before?  just wondering.  this may be the clincher for me.  I love wavelab too much  ;)

I got it to load and open but it fails/freezes when trying to open wave files.   >:(

now a problem unrelated to wavelab.  my screen resolution is pretty low.

1024 X 728  I've tried updating my drivers, I let windows updates check for drivers etc etc.  still can't get over that.  in xp on this laptop it goes to 1280 x 800 (something like that).

link to dells site for my drivers

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_M140&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

screen cap of the resolution (oops, doesn't show the drop down beside the resolution but it's as high as it goes).   everything looks good in the device manager.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 12:13:22 PM »
I got it to load and open but it fails/freezes when trying to open wave files.   >:(

That and some of the plugins will not work correctly.  like i said its buggy as hell and basically useless. I assume version 6 will support windows 7 and vista a bit more stable.

1024 X 728  I've tried updating my drivers, I let windows updates check for drivers etc etc.  still can't get over that.  in xp on this laptop it goes to 1280 x 800 (something like that).

screen cap of the resolution (oops, doesn't show the drop down beside the resolution but it's as high as it goes).   everything looks good in the device manager.

When you install drivers and such I find its best to right click on the .exe file and click the compatibility tab and run them in XP mode and run them as the administrator.  you may wanna uninstall and reinstall using the above method and see if that dont help. 

on a side note also i turn the user acct control crap off. 
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »

link to dells site for my drivers

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_M140&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

It looks like you are still using the generic drivers that Windows provides.

On the compatibility list on the drivers page you listed it says they are only good for XP and Win2000. You need to find a Vista driver for that video card. It may not exist or there may be an unofficial driver for it. I took a quick look around with a Google search and didn't turn up much. A deeper look might turn something up.

You might want to give Dell a call and ask if a Vista driver is available.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 01:42:11 AM »
While searching through the Steinberg support forums it looks like the Vista patch for WL5 is a third party patch only on torrent sites.  It appears that they have made a decision to only support version 6 and up with Vista support.   Plus if I understand correctly the 3rd party patch only works in a 32bit environment.

I assume Gordon you have the h20 version of WL5.01b?    If its a must have app you may consider buying WL6 or waiting for WL7 to come out which I understand will be a major upgrade including 64bit support.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 01:58:20 AM »
I ditched 7.  back to xp pro.  I fear change ;)  if it ain't broke.......

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
Three month update.

I'm running 7 full time at home now and can't imagine switching back to XP ever again.    I started with the free Beta build 7000 but have since upgraded to build 7068.  You can find the newer builds on most torrent sites and they all work with the keys provided by Microsoft if you signed up for the beta so no piracy issues.

The biggest change (non-GUI related) is the number of devices its supports out of the box.  I hooked up an 8 year old printer that XP had trouble with and damned if it didn't get recognized and up and running under the new build 7068.  It seems like a giant leap to true plug n play. 

Software has been better than expected.  Only program that doesn't work for me in Wavelab which i've since given up anyways.  Nothing is running in compatibility mode anymore either.  All good signs.

The Release Candidate is rumored to be coming out this month so if anyone is thinking of giving this a shot the RC may be a good version to play with.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »
Apparently MS has required software developers to get a Windows 7 certification tag that all programs must be compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Seven.

This (Seven release)  is a really good opportunity for folks on the fence about 64bit OS's to make the jump.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
I just built up a new computer and have Win7 build 7077 on it. Super nice. I hear 7077 is the last build they will release before the RC.

I'm running all of my programs that I use on a regular basis in Win 7, with the exception of WaveLab which I have running with VMware under XP. Also installed a few programs that I don't use often on that XP install (trying to keep the main OS as clean as possible).

For anyone that was scared off by Vista...you can come back now. I think I might even like Win 7 more than OS X.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »
Just an update to Windows 7:

1.  "On Tuesday, May 5, the Release Candidate (build 7100) will be available to everyone via our Customer Preview Program. As with the Beta, the Windows 7 RC Customer Preview Program is a broad public program that offers the RC free to anyone who wants to download it. It will be available at least through June 30, 2009, with no limits on the number of downloads or product keys available"

This means that anyone can download Windows 7 for free from Microsoft.  This is expected to be the only release candidate so you can feel good knowing that any changes made to the OS between now and its actual release date will be fixed via Windows Update.   The RC keys last for one year so you'd have a year to decide if you want to purchase 7.  Pretty damn good deal if you ask me.

2. XP Mode - http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2598

Basically this allows you to run XP specific programs and hardware within a virtual XP in Windows 7.   There are hardware requirements of course but as i've said in previous posts/threads now is a good time to start making the move or at least thinking of making the move to a 64 bit machine.   

While you could run your own virtual machine software (VMWare, Virtual PC) the new feature in 7 actually allows any program installed within the XP mode to show up in your regular start menu.  I have been running WaveLab 5.01 (the common H20 version most folks have) from an icon in my quick launch bar.  Working with 2 and 4 channel audio has worked flawlessly.   I do not use any plugins with WaveLab other than Izotope Ozone 4 which has been working great as well.   The XP Mode VM is integrated very well with 7 and functions surprisingly alot better integrated than it did as a standalone VM program.

If anyone has any interest in some screen grabs let me know and i'll post some.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 03:15:48 AM »
Downloading the RC now.

I've been running build 7077 for the past few weeks. Works great. It will be nice to have the XP mode so I can run Wavelab w/o VMware.

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »
Has anyone tried to hook up a JB3 to Windows 7?  Does it work?

Thanks!
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »
FYI: MS is offering 50% off Windows 7 starting tomorrow (for upgrade versions).

$99 for Win 7 Pro
$49 for Win 7 Home Premium

Looks like I'll get Windows 7 Professional for my desktop. I might order Windows 7 Home Premium for a netbook I might get in the next few weeks.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com