Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II  (Read 59546 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2019, 07:18:04 AM »
That plastic cap takes a hell of a lot of pressure / area. If it doesn't break, it gets lost. Gaff tape, cloth, wood, valve stem covers, a penny, there are lots of things you can use instead. In historic venues, you'll need to do something, and the stock cap may not be sufficient!

I worry about stress in the body of the clamp too. If yours looks like it's cracking, replace it.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »
Does anyone have an extension pole longer than this?  I have it but it won't get high enough for large ampitheatres to stack tape, and I don't want to lug a whole stand in, I'd rather clamp to my seat:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/Manfrotto_099B_3_Section_Extension_Pole_35.html

Alternatively, has anyone combined two of these?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
Does anyone have an extension pole longer than this?  I have it but it won't get high enough for large ampitheatres to stack tape, and I don't want to lug a whole stand in, I'd rather clamp to my seat:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/Manfrotto_099B_3_Section_Extension_Pole_35.html

I don't have it but, apparently, the Manfrotto 146B is longer than the 099B (137 - 314 cm). You might need an adapter like the Manfrotto 158 to mount it to a light stand base (or a jaw clamp), though.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
I have a 3 ft. extension I can add if the situation calls for it.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
I found a great replacement for the screw top of a Windtech MPC clamp.

Bought another Windtech clamp and the top cap of the screw end came off when I was fidgeting with it straight otb.
I was not a fan of the valve stem cap I first used, but it worked.
Last week... hardware store epiphany.

The soft cap on top of a 4 foot driveway/plow marker.  Those orange or yellow hi-vis, thin staffs, probably near the mailbox numbers in your local Lowes/Home Depot.

Fits perfectly. 
Slide it off the screw top end of the clamp just a bit, then clamp it to a stand; creates a soft, but solid connection with the slight amount of extra plastic of the "pip" of the cap as added protection for the stand.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2020, 07:34:40 AM »

I use the 099B.  I have used it a few times on top of a 1004BAC 12' stand when I needed to go super-high, or more often used as a boom arm with a 124 boom clamp.  The whole setup is reasonably stable, albeit with just a pair of my CM3s which are very light.

I think if you did two 099B's stacked, you would be OK, provided that you do not fully extend the sections so you have a bit more internal lateral stability.  Leave 6 inches or so not extended in each section, and you will still get about 13 ft with the two stacked poles, instead of 15 ft at full extension.

I also recommend you use something a bit more beefy than a standard SuperClamp for this setup - see my next post for what I am considering buying as an upgrade.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2020, 08:02:29 AM »
I normally use stands for my recording, but over the past couple years I have been finding myself needing to use clamp & pole setups more often.  After a concert earlier this week, I think I am at the point where I need an upgrade from the Manfrotto SuperClamp.

My setup this week was the SuperClamp on an auditorium chair arm, first row on center aisle.  I was recording choirs and needed to center my mics above the aisle while keeping a clear walking path, so attached to my clamp was a 099B pole at full extension, 124 boom arm clamp (which is quite heavy), Impact 3' backlight stand boomed out to the right, On-Stage Posi-Lok clutch with adapters, and then my CM3s and Rycote mount.

I love the SuperClamp, but even with the plastic insert, I am never fully confident attaching it to something flat on both sides like a chair arm.  The gripping surface on the lower jaw is very narrow, and on this occasion it was very hard to keep the clamp from slipping laterally on the chair arm.  I suppose I could have used a neoprene or rubber sheet, but I don't carry those with me.

After looking through all of the options from the typical rigging brands and not finding anything that looks better, I think I have found my upgrade.  Check out the video where you see the jaws articulating to fit different shaped surfaces.
https://9.solutions/portfolio-item/savior-clamp-socket/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1426914-REG/9_solutions_9_xs1005b_savior_clamp_with_socket.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
That looks like a good alternative, let us know more when you can.
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »
The soft cap on top of a 4 foot driveway/plow marker.  Those orange or yellow hi-vis, thin staffs, probably near the mailbox numbers in your local Lowes/Home Depot.
First few uses, they work great.
After about 5, the screw wears through the tip.
Derp.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2020, 09:54:15 AM »
First few uses, they work great.
After about 5, the screw wears through the tip.
Derp.

^
The screw on cap for air valve stems for auto tires works for me.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:44:20 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »

Ordered one today from B&H, who is the only US retailer that has this model in stock.  I'll post a review here after I try it out.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »

Ordered one today from B&H, who is the only US retailer that has this model in stock.  I'll post a review here after I try it out.

^
Volt,

Thanks for the link!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »
New to balcony clamping here and for the life of me I can't figure out what I need from all these threads. I'm looking to clamp to the rail in front of the seating in the picture below. I see the superclamp also linked should fit the rail itself, but what do I need in addition to extend the mics upwards? I thought this would be easier to figure out, but no matter what I search for ("mic extension, mic boom", etc) I cant find just a basic extension for the mics. To clarify, I already have a clamp and clips for the mics, I just need something between the super clamp and the mic clamp. Any help would be apprecaited!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kcfan/3342692942

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018LQVIA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline voltronic

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2020, 03:44:32 PM »
New to balcony clamping here and for the life of me I can't figure out what I need from all these threads. I'm looking to clamp to the rail in front of the seating in the picture below. I see the superclamp also linked should fit the rail itself, but what do I need in addition to extend the mics upwards? I thought this would be easier to figure out, but no matter what I search for ("mic extension, mic boom", etc) I cant find just a basic extension for the mics. To clarify, I already have a clamp and clips for the mics, I just need something between the super clamp and the mic clamp. Any help would be apprecaited!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kcfan/3342692942

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018LQVIA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The reason you aren't finding what you need is that you need to search for lighting accessories (extension pole, or what have you); not mic accessories.  One of the first things I learned after joining up here is that professional, portable lighting rigging equipment is often better made and more versatile than products made specifically for microphones.  A big benefit is that the screw connections are typically 3/8"-16, which are much more beefy and less prone to cross-threading than 5/8" mic stand threads.

At any rate, here are some options:

1.  I have and use the ever-popular Manfrotto 099B (B&H) (Amazon), linked many times in this thread.  This will get you some serious height, up to 7.6 ft if necessary, though it is not a very compact option.  I typically use this for clamping onto a stage lip, or as a long boom pole (see my post earlier in this thread).

Note that you need a 5/8" stud to attach this pole to your SuperClamp, but if appears the version of the clamp you bought comes with one (not all of them do).

2. For a more compact option, I like the Impact Back Light Stand (B&H) (Amazon).  On the occasions I am clamping to a rail (at football stadiums recording marching bands), this is what I use.  The Impact setup is a great value, as you get a short extension pole and also an extremely strong folding base.  The updated version of this product allows you to mount the 5/8" stud at a right angle at one end, adding even more versatility.  No additional 5/8" stud necessary here, as there is a captive stud on one end and a removable one on the other.

3. Many people here like the Matthews Baby Stand Extension (B&H) (Amazon).  The advantage here is it collapses down very short and also extends quite far.  The disadvantage is that the top 5/8" stud is not threaded, so you will need to use a Rapid Adapter (B&H) (Amazon) to mount a threaded mic mount.  You also need a separate 5/8" stud to mount the bottom to your clamp, as is the case with the 099B pole.

4. If flexibility of angles is more important than height, consider a Articulated Arm, in two (B&H) (Amazon) or three (B&H) (Amazon) sections.  You will need a Rapid Adapter once again, but no lower stud.  Note that these are not rated to support very much weight.

If balcony rail is going to be your typical recording setup, I would go with option 2 or 3.

IMPORTANT: No matter what you get, don't forget a safety cable.  This should be considered mandatory for balcony rail setups.  You may think everything is clamped tight, until it suddenly isn't.  Don't risk the safety of people below, and damage to your mics.

EDIT: I just saw the other thread you started where you said that you need this quickly, and you are looking to buy from Amazon, so I went back and included Amazon links as well, if available.  FWIW, B&H ships very quickly if you are relatively close to the NYC area.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:30:05 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »
Voltronic - Thanks a ton! I should have learned that "light stand" was the proper search term when I first started taping. I remember thinking that when I got my very first stand. Your suggestions and links were very helpful. I ended up going with the manfrotto super clamp and "Manfrotto Compact Aluminum 5-Section Monopod". Both appear to have 1/4" threads so they should work together. Part of the problem with searching for "mic extension" was that all the threads seemed to be different. Thanks again, I'll report back on how it goes.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com